How Safe Is Paypal?

Discussion in Payment Methods started by maryannballeras • Jun 2, 2016.

1. maryannballeras

maryannballerasMember

Threads:
    I've been using Paypal for quite sometime but I usually just use it for receiving payments for online jobs. I've never used it as a payment method for purchasing, though. However, I think I will have to do that soon because of a transaction that I need to do. How safe is Paypal as a payment method? Can anyone share his/her thoughts? Thank you in advance!

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Paypal is even safer than using a credit card when paying for anything online. While it can be hard for you to get back your money at times if you use a credit card to pay for what you buy with Paypal, if you dispute a transaction and can prove that you didn't get what you paid for, you could get your money back that's unless you are buying from some fly-by-night who sells something once and vanishes forever from the net.

3. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    I've never had a problem with paypal and I actually prefer it because you're not using your card numbers on multiple sites.

4. HuskyGlacier

HuskyGlacierNew Member

Threads:
    I've always found Paypal to be really safe. When you buy something, there's a limited amount of information that the seller is receiving so it's safe in that aspect.
    It's also really safe in terms of account security because you have the option to set up two-step verification, and if you have any doubts about personal info getting leaked, I'd make sure to set that up.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been using Paypal for more than a year and I can say that it is fairly safe because I have no issues and I haven't read confirmed issues against Paypal. One thing good with Paypal over credit card when it comes to online purchases, Paypal has the feature of refund where you can file a dispute if the store did not deliver the products you bought. Normally online stores require buyers to prepay before they deliver the order. That dispute feature is protection against scam.

6. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    You can have your cards registered wth Paypal, then pay with Paypal, using one of those cards.That way you do not expose your card to various sites. So it's actually safer. Paypal is not always an option though.

7. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Is fast and reliable, I don't have any qualms with Paypal. When you send or recieve a payment, you'll immediately get an inbox message from paypal reporting how succesful was the transaction and who is the one that is receiving or sending you a payment.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As long as you know what you are doing, and how to navigate the internet, as well as paypal payments, safely, then there should be no issues with paying for things using paypal. Just never enter your password anywhere other than on the actual paypal website, or when you go to pay for something with paypal and you have to enter your password them.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find PayPal safe, but I am still cautious about any transaction. PayPal are clamping down on rogues, so those who do have a PayPal account should have passed verification tests, especially if they are companies.

10. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I use paypal on an almost weekly basis. You have nothing to worry about, especially now that many stores are allowing you to pay with your paypal account in stores. I have used the service for close to 10 years now and I have to say that the service has improved immensely since then. In my opinion, anyone who does online shopping of any kind should have a paypal account just to speed up the checkout process. Can't recommend it any more than that!

11. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using PayPal since the late 2015 and no single problem has been detected so far. That gives me hope.

However, let me give you some tips:

1. Be sure only you know the password to your PayPal account
    2. Don't save it anywhere, there's absolutely no need for that
    3. Don't keep all your money in one place, it's not safe whatsoever

Also, the thing about PP I don't like the most is that I can't get my money to my card right away. I have to wait up until 3 days. Sometimes it drives me crazy.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    What do you mean they are clamping down on rogues? How does this affect every day use? I have noticed that they tend to be more strict now. I recently got a new device and tried to login via that new device, and they made me change my password, as if something suspicious had happened. I would rather them be overly cautious, but it can be annoying too.

13. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    I have found PayPal to be reliable. I have had undelivered items and disputes with retailers and I have always had the matter resolved. I must give them a thumbs up for practicing what they preach.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard took the words right out of my mouth! I've never had a single issue with Paypal (touch wood) and I hope it continues that way. I'd much rather use my Paypal account over any other card. I've personally never had to dispute a transaction, but my husband has and it was resolved swiftly and in his favour. I just love Paypal and have very, very rarely chosen to use a credit/debit card over it for online purchases.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    My experience has always been the same. No trouble whatsoever with Paypal, until the other day when they forced me to change my password. I wish they would provide the IP address of the computer that tried to access your account, rather than just making you change your password as possibly still leaving yourself still open to attacks.

16. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Having used PayPal for all my online money transactions - meaning for both receiving and paying out money online - for well over 10 years and I too have never experienced any problems - in fact quite the opposite.

As not only have I found it to be the safest, most secure and reliable method of buying goods online - but the added benefit of buyer protection you get with PayPal - should you have a problem with the items purchased - has more than once proved to be extremely beneficial.

I would say that PayPal is probably about as safe as you can get - at present.

17. jonthai

jonthaiMember

Threads:
    I've never had problems with Paypal. It's very safe as it connects your credit card or bank account to a paypal account, making it even safer.Also it's very convenient with online shopping, as it allows a quick purchase without much trouble. I personally use it, and I have no reasons to complain about it.

18. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have been using Paypal for a number of years and I can recommend this facility as a safe and secure site. I am pleased to know that when I purchase my credit card information will not be forwarded to the merchant and Paypal will be the only entity which would have the information. Therefore, PayPal ensures all the necessary precautions to protect your information. You may find that some merchants do not wish to be involved with PayPal because they believe that Paypal is too strict in seeking to protect it's subscribers, however, that's not a problem for me because I will not shop online it the merchant is not a PayPal subscriber.

19. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use papal for many years receiving payments for online payments made to me and it's so fast and safe. I've used papal Mastercard/Debit card too for purchases and have splendid outcome always. No problems with paypal. The Mastercard/Debit card is free and your money in your paypal account can be used to pay for purchases anywhere that uses paypal even at McDonalds!

20. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. I, too, have used PayPal for years and have had no problems in the accounting of my money nor a problem with someone hacking into my account.