How Satisfied Are You With Your Current Actions Towards Retirement?

Discussion in Retirement Plans started by JLetterman • Dec 21, 2012.

1. JLetterman

JLettermanNew Member

Threads:
    I for one am about 50 percent satisfied and 50 percent dissatisfied with my current retirement plans. I am self-employed, so I don't have a 401k or any matching contributions. However, I have my own business as a writer and do have a brokerage account as well as two IRA's, one of each type. I do not max out the contributions though, and I also need a bigger emergency fund saved. I prefer more often to buy stocks, which has panned out somewhat, but I am pretty far behind in saving still for retirement. So, in some ways, I'm doing fine, and in other ways, I need major improvement.

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I'm not satisfied at all. I know I can do better. In fact, I've made saving more for retirement (well, actually for emergencies, and then for retirement) one of my new year's resolutions.

3. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I am sure that I am not satisfied with my current actions. I am in medical school and I am not getting the grades that I want to. This is because I am not even trying. I know that I can do much better but I just sometimes feel like all I have to do is pass the exams and not aim for a high score. I really think that I should improve on that mindset and couple it with actions.

4. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I'm kicking myself because I know I could do better. I just started taking my retirement plan seriously so I know I'm behind. I'm planning on tweaking my 401k a bit since I'm not contributing all that much at the moment. A goal of mine for next year is to increase my emergency funds. I want to be able to get by for at least a year with my savings.

5. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    As for me I really feel like I am way behind. Because of our present economy I am now more than ever scared that the social security checks I'll get when I retire will be sorely lacking. I have a set of apartments that I inherited and am thinking of breaking them up into smaller studio units so I can generate more income and hopefully save more for retirement. I really wasted several years living it up and spending too much on my wants and now I am regretting it.

6. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I was happy with them until the beginning of this year. I was maxing out the 401k contributions at work, and my employer had a nice match. We also thought we might start IRA's this year. Unfortunately I got a layoff notice in early January, so all those plans have changed.