How To Decide Whether To Buy A New Or Used Car?

Discussion in Personal Finance started by luckycharm • Dec 30, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    As you know nowadays company certified used cars are available in all car dealerships. Even though we can save a considerable amount of money by going for a second-hand option, there are many who buy only new cars.
    To be frank I bought my new car around 5 years ago and it was after considering my personal requirements. As I usually go for long trips I was looking for something trustworthy and also capable to withstand the pressure of long journeys. So it all depends on the way you want to use the vehicle.

I am curious to know what are the factors you consider before taking a decision?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying a used car is the only means of the lower middle class. I have experienced that and I can say that it is more difficult to choose a car when buying used ones than when buying a brand new car. However, it should be noted that a brand new car is expensive but in the long run, it is more economical. But I understand that your budget may not permit. We bought our first brand new car 3 years ago and now I am enjoying a hassle-free ride because our old car used to breakdown in the middle of a trip. Just the thought of having confidence with a brand new car is worth the cost.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    For the sake of keeping up with the Joneses, I would have a slightly used car than to buy a new brand car which costs so much. I know used car is not efficient as the new one. It takes a lot of maintenance cost and everything to get it running. But in reality, I would have to get the brand new one to enjoy the full and efficient service of that car.

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely don't need a brand new car because I only use my car for short trips around town or to nearby places. Instead, I settled for a used repossessed unit from a bank which is a lot cheaper than brand new ones yet not as old as most used cars. My foremost consideration then was the price of the vehicle. I can't afford to buy myself a brand new car and I didn't want to go for car financing. Our company's bank relationship manager convinced me to try repossessed cars on their inventory and gave me a nice discount. I also sold my first car and used the proceeds to pay off a portion of the price.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, when I see car sales and you can own a car for less than a $100 a month, I'd buy new on sale. KIA had such a sale and I looked at the commercial and wish I had my license. I'd like to buy new always and with prices like what KIA offered well I'd stay with new. KIA has pretty good looking cars. I like gas stations with full service too, so you can imagine I am not car savvy so I need reliability and would prefer new cars always and KIA makes is soooo affordable. :):p:D