How To Save With Catering At Home Parties

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Corzhens • Mar 13, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we get a caterer for occasions here at home, the list of food is usually at least 6 courses. But lately, we only order for 3 courses and we do away with the drinks. For the additional dishes, we ourselves cook it in advance. We choose dishes that are okay to be reheated. With the drinks, it is cheaper to buy from the grocery although we also provide the ice.

We call it hybrid catering. Our main consideration is the service. The caterer comes with elegant food warmers and food servers too. But we don't spend for the whole thing so we are charged only for almost half of the usual cost.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer to do it this way too. Some of the dishes at catering services are usually easy enough to do at home even at large volumes so I just try and do those and leave the more difficult ones to the professionals. I also do away with the drink orders since I could just buy my own in bulk and save a good amount that way. Also I just find it fun to make the appetizers anyway since I could be more playful with those.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of hybrid catering, Corzhens.

I agree, DrRipley. I like making at least some of my own food anyway, plus I like to make it pretty and do the arranging. Many items can be prepared yourself.

Aside from drinks, another place to save money is with bread or rolls and butter, if you are serving those. You can pick up your own French bread, rolls, or whatever at a store that has a bakery or even in some bake shops, for less than what a caterer will charge you. Besides, sometimes they just bring cheap rolls that aren't even very good. I'd rather get my own.

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Usually if I'm having some sort of party at home I'll provide all the food myself or get people to bring their own dishes to the party so that everyone is chipping in and doing their bit. However if I was to hire in a caterer I'd want to make sure I was getting the most for my money. I'd probably still make some of the food myself and probably provide the drinks myself too. I think it makes sense to buy things from the grocery store if it's cheaper to do so.

5. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    We just cook everything at home also instead of splurging on catering. Usually, the menus offered by catering services are easy enough to do myself. I've been to events with catered meals that's either almost bland or generically prepared. When you're a better cook than some, you can just look for online recipes to prepare something different for a change. Preparing the dishes can be tiring and time-consuming but you can be sure that everything is to your liking and you have not taken out as much as money.