Inexpensive Refurbished Computers

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Diane Lane • Sep 28, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A new computer is out of my budget right now. Even a refurbished one might be a stretch, but I'm hopeful to replace mine soon, so that I will again be able to make money online. I've been looking around at refurbished computers online, and have come across what look to be some decent ones on eBay and also on Newegg. Does anyone here have a recommendation for a specific company or site? Have any of you purchased a refurbished computer in the past?

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I don't even use my computer anymore, now that I have the iPad and can do everything online with that, I have not looked for refurbished computers. However, I have seen them on Amazon, along with other refurbished items, and that would be the very first place that I would recommend looking for anything refurbished.
    Often they also have older models of the same item, and at a substantially lower price. One nice thing about. Amazon, is that they have such an awesome return policy; so if you got one there and it was not working right, you would always get either a refund or a replacement from amazon, and at no charge.
    When you look at an item on Amazon, it shows the Prime price, assuming it is prime, and then in small print, it will usually say "new and used from $xxx". That is what you need to check. I have often saved a lot of money getting something that had been refurbished by Amazon.
    As an example, we were looking for a coffee maker. The one we wanted was around $60+; but under the used ones, was the refurbished one and it was $20 some instead of $60+.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Two months ago I had problem with my computer, the applications wouldn't show when put on. The whole system goes blank, I took it for repairs and was later told it's beyond repair. Meanwhile I ended up getting a refurbished system from a local computer store. I did check online but discouraged because of shipping cost.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am in hunt for a new computer to replace this 7-year old desktop of ours. But the planned purchase is still on hold due to budget constraints. A friend suggested a refurbished computer set but it's not in my agenda. Just like buying a car, as much as possible, a brand new is desired because a used car can have many hidden issues that would give you a headache later on. The same with computers, it will break down sooner or later and when that happens, it would give you a terrible headache. I don't think I would have peace of mind with a used computer.

5. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Me and my wife used to buy used gadgets online and resell them again online. But when it comes to desktops, we ask for my wife's cousin's help. We check online what are the specs of the desktop that are quite a nice and low cost, at the same time, low power consumption. After that we give the specs to her cousin and he will start looking for the pieces needed, we then buy them separately, and since we bought used ones, they don't cost too much. Then her cousin builds it for us for a $6 - $8. For us, That's way more cheaper.

6. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I've tried buying refurbished desktops. At first, I was a bit skeptic in light of the fact that it isn't brand new or it may become defective in no time but since I'm on a tight budget and would want to have a desktop at home, I decided to try one. Fortunately, I didn't regret it. I got it from a store, friend's recommendation and I got it at a very low price. I used it for months and didn't have complains with it however I sold it because I bought a new laptop and won't be needing it.

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    When I got my refurbished laptop few months ago I was highly sceptical because there was hardly any firm basis to establish trust it won't fail. The sales tech gave me assurance it's a trusted system that won't disappoint even though he wasn't going to give any warranty
    I got it on faith and has been nice so far.

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've bought a refurbish computer in the past for$60 but it only lasted a little beyond six months, its warranty period. The motherboard had gone bad along with the hard disk and it's not cost-efficient to have them repaired. An officemate bought the same unit but hers lasted beyond a year. What I did was buy fresh pieces and assemble them together. I can't say I was able to save that way because if you buy an assembled PC from a store, it cost the same with a few freebies thrown in like free mouse, keyboard, and headset. These stores get discounts out of their bulk purchases and this gives them the option to sell their assembled PCs at a lower cost. There are less known PC sellers that offer great products at cheap prices, cheaper than assembling them yourselves. I really would't want to mix used hard disk with new motherboards because when they crash,they can take the motherboard with them.

9. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Refurbished computers are cheaper than the new ones, however, there is no any gurantee that it will las as long as the new ones. However, refurbished computers are better than the used computers (second hand) because they are repaied with the manufacturer's standard. Nonetheless, I will never buy a second hand or refurbished computer. When it comes to buy a computer I will always buy a new one.

10. derf

derfNew Member

Threads:
    Many sites online that are back end than Newegg and amazon offer cheap computers for not that much money. The thing is is that it still would be best to buy a new computer so you will not go through the headache of having to deal with not working parts. Also the validity of the sits you would be getting cheap computers from would also be questioned. It also most likely would not last as long as a new one. Just do some quick research on google with used computers and you will find some that are not that expensive.

11. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I am leery of buying used or refurbished electronics. I have to wonder why did it have to be refurbished in the first place and is that going to be an ongoing problem. I feel more comfortable buying new since it will probably last longer without any issues to cause me hassles down the road.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am becoming more and more open to these types of deals, and from what I hear if you do your research than you can really save yourself quite a bit. That is always a good motivator for me to take an interest.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know there are lots of e-commerce sites selling refurbished items for 20-30% lesser price but one has to be absolutely prepared to face problems in some cases. First the warranty offered is lesser and these items are basically rejected by the first time customers and replaced. Companies then repair them and sell them on reduced prices so customer should be careful when buying refurbished electronic products.

14. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not keen on refurbs because I had a refurbished phone which gave me nothing but trouble. For that reason I would be a little dubious about buying a computer like this.

One of the best buys I have ever made was my Chromebook. I know it wouldn't suit a lot of people and you do have to have a google email but I've had it for 5 years or more and it's still as good as the day I bought it. It was half the price of a normal computer and I know you can't do downloads on it but neither can it get a virus so I will definitely be getting another when my present one dies.

15. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would find something new for a better price-and also the hardware would be kind of out of date as well. The used computer usually does not have a warranty-and even if it does, the computer people-where you bought it may not be able to help you. Also you need more of the cutting-edge technology today so a new computer might be the better deal. Other parts may go bad on the used computer as well, although they fixed all the broken things.