Inheriting A Toy

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Decentlady • Dec 4, 2016.

1. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    When kids outgrow the toys most parents either giveaway or treasure their toys.

If a known or unknown person gives the toys for your child, how would you feel.

It is indeed a saving in a way but most people who can afford toys often feel, "Why use someone else's used toys?"

How should one go about this issue considering the fact that toys don't come cheap these days and children outgrow them quickly?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I am thinking of giving away my daughters unwanted toys. I mean if they are still in good shape I am sure there will be a a family that will appreciate them. There are many families that can't afford not even the simplest of toys that are suffering economically. I know for sure most people here tend to buy used toys to be able to have gifts for their children especially on the holidays.

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live, people appreciate anything free even if it's used. Of course, I would recommend disinfecting the toys well before handing them to your child. If someone gave my child a toy, I would be grateful. There's no harm in receiving free things even if you don't like it. You can receive it then give it to someone that wants it.

4. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I have no problem in receiving used toys from my relatives and friends, if they are in good condition. It does save money. And the other thing is that for the kids it's a new toy. If they are happy, I am happy.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    These were often some of the best ones, in my opinion. I really think back and recognize how much I was the benefit of this being a youngest child, but I also had some rough times with that so I guess it really evened itself out in the end.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Just last week I was cleaning up my kids room with their help and we were deciding which toys we would give away because they don't use them, but also because we need the space for another things. I think it's healthy that we keep some for sentimental reasons, but the majority of the toys they no longer use it's important that we give they away for them to realize that other kids might use them.

7. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Receiving a free toy for my kid isn't a big deal for me since in our place you would be really happy if someone gives you something. As long as the kid would want the toy, I would gladly take it. If the kid does not like it, I would take it and give it away. There is a big fast food chain in our country that asks people to give away their old toys and they will give it to less fortunate children. They have a big box in their store where you can put your toys. I usually donate old toys there, at least another child who can't afford to buy toys would have fun playing with the toys I do not use anymore.

8. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Your kid is very fortunate, as there are kids who don't have any toy at all!

Just yesterday my club organized a solidarity practice session where we could be with the players and we delivered toys for those who don't have it. I really enjoyed it!

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know how you all feel on the matter, but I think some toys have a nostalgic quality to them. For instance, my nephew had a collection of Mutant Ninja Turtles and the thought of someone selling them would be a tragedy. Anyway, though, of course, it often saves money to sell the toys, but though this sounds cheesy, I have to say money isn't everything. ;)

10. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I'm accepting toys from the other parents if they will give me. Why not? This is a way of saving money, and use that money more wisely and buy something really useful to my child, as clothes, food or tickets to the cinema.
    I have donated a lot of toys too, and I think this is a good way to reuse the toys and not throw them away!

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I can afford to buy my child his own toys but if someone's going to give my child a used toy, I'm sure that he'll be thankful. It may be used/old to the owner, but that would still be new to my child. Some people may not find it comfortable and some may even feel insulted by this harmless gesture. In most cases, the giver simply wants to declutter or make way for new purchases.

My nephews who are older often passes their toys to my son so he's got so many of them in his toy cabinet. I don't have plans of giving them away, though, because they're still display-worthy and though he may tire of them at some point, he'd rekindle his interest soon enough.

12. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    If it's from family then I have no problems accepting a second hand toy and I have even bought them at second hand shops just as long as I can wash them first. Some of these toys were expensive when new so they are actually getting a real bargain and to them it is new.

In the UK at Christmas time some schools do a shoe box gift where our kids fill up a box with little gifts like a tiny teddy or colouring book and pencils, soap or toothpaste. They then send them to third world countries. I saw a video of their reaction when they received these boxes and it brought tears to my eyes because our kids would probably turn up their noses at these tiny gifts but to them it was like a pot of gold and they were so excited. If we gave them the kind of gifts our own children get, even if they were second hand, they just wouldn't believe their eyes.