Insurance Of Bank Accounts

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by Alexandoy • Dec 12, 2016.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you check your bank on how much of your deposit is insured? In the Philippines, we have the PDIC (Philippine Deposit Insurance Corporation) which is a requirement of the Central Bank. That means bank deposits are automatically insured by PDIC. And the coverage is up to 500,000 pesos, that’s around $10,000. So if you have lots of money in the bank, you can open several accounts to spread your money and gain full coverage of the insurance.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    This is absolutely correct. I have been working in the bank for 5 years. It so happened that I resigned and found another job. I learned later that the bank where I used to work before became bankrupt. The depositors of the said bank worried about their money deposited on the bank. The said bank was under the receivership of the Central Bank of the Philippines and all those depositors were paid according to their outstanding balance but not to exceed as set by the CBP insurance coverage.

3. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I have never checked this. In my country banks that are insured by an independent agency are usually covered. No such mishaps have happened with the banks so far so not many people actually even know that it's a thing.

4. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    That sounds incredible but unfortunately there are no such services in our country. One bank recently went bankrupt and the customers had to wait until the bank was up and running. This never happened and they lost their money. I really would love such a policy in our country.