Is Blackberry this bad?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by MyDigitalpoint • Jan 2, 2014.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Since Blackberry was released I wanted to get one of these smartphones, but when I went to the store to get one, the clerk convinced me to buy a BenQ pocket PC instead arguing that Blackberry was not as good as it was advertised.

Years went by and I heard Blackberry was being left behind when it comes to smartphone technology. This was over a year ago, but in early 2013 I heard Blackberry would release new models and all the blah, blah related to regain the lost market.

Well, I finally got a Blackberry this Christmas, this is a BB Curve 9360 and while I really liked at first, in just a few days I'm finding many inconveniences that I'm not sure if are related to the advice the clerk gave me about the poor quality of Blackberry, or if the phone is defective and I need to get my money back or a replacement from the store.

First off, the phone says to have a long-battery life for days or up to 5 hours of continuous talking time, but as soon as I turn on the Wi-Fi the battery is drained to zero in less than an hour without surfing, just the sole fact to turn on WI-FI

Then, on top of the window, the phone says SOS every now and then because the phone seems to be searching for the carrier continuously and not always finding it, what can make me lose phone calls or SMSes.

Among many other issues, I don't find how to customize the different ringtones, and I can't delete useless applications because the software says the phone needs mandatory.

What the heck I need to have 5 different instant messengers installed when I don't any IM?

Ah... and it also takes ages to get the phone starting if I turned it on, then a Blackberry screen shows a slow progress bar that is driving me nuts.

Is this the deceptive way Blackberry phones are?

2. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    BlackBerry isn't a bad phone, in fact, I have been a big fan of Blackberry until my BlackBerry Storm got broken. I think your BlackBerry is an older version, which in fact the processor and the RAM memory isn't as good and fast as the newest BlackBerry devices. The smartphone's processor is one of the main things I would look at when I buy a smartphone, which how fast or slow the phone will depend on the processor itself. Second, RAM memory has played the important part of owning a smartphone. The minimum RAM memory is 1GB, any smartphone that is lower than that will cause the phone to slow down or lag when you use it regularly.

3. Karan Singh

Karan SinghNew Member

Threads:
    Blackberry does however offer on thing other smartphones don't, the best keyboard. That is one of the best parts about blackberry. In regards to your asking why Blackberrys are so bad the only physical complaints with Blackberry are that their lower end models like the curve slow down and can't have as many apps open without becoming to slow to use. This is a problem but not a reason to judge an entire company. If you want to get a Blackberry go for it they are amazing for texting, especially the 9900, email and actually do have some .

4. DanielFull

DanielFullNew Member

Threads:
    Blackberries aren't bad in general, its just that the cheaper phones aren't as..great.

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    The clerk at the store you went to did the right thing, Blackberry's are certainly not as good as they are advertised as. I had one for about six months and it was one of the worst phones I ever used, and I've been using mobile phones since the early 90s before everyone could afford them!

6. MelissaEwan9

MelissaEwan9New Member

Threads:
    My cousins have blackberry, and its pretty awesome.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a few Blackberrys I would never touch.. I didn't like some of my friends' phones a while back (all iphone users now because of it), but I've had many phones and the best were Blackberrys. Also one of the worst was a Blackberry, so I urge you not to judge them all on one. I did have a few friends who used curves and they're still using them to this day.. they never have your issues with them, they're very good phones. I just didn't prefer the curve myself. The couple Blackberrys I had were extremely durable, well made, worked awesomely and just all around better phones than the ones I've had since (iphone, android etc). I guess it depends on what you appreciate.

8. Trent

TrentMember

Threads:
    I think blackberries are better for executives because they are less likely to have issues and are more resistant. I have always found them to be more reliable.

9. victor

victorNew Member

Threads:
    Blackberry is my best,i think the problem is from your phone not bb because generally bb is ok even though the battery life is not that much but with the way you describe yours i can boldly tell you the fault is from the phone not bb generally

10. mizzperdue

mizzperdueNew Member

Threads:
    I had almost the same experience with my blackberry smartphone. I wanted a blackberry so bad, and I got one. I had a bad experience with the battery life not lasting, after a full charge. I ended up trading it in for something better. I now have an android phone. Blackberrys were popular at some point but I wouldn't recommend.

11. HeinrichM

HeinrichMNew Member

Threads:
    Blackberrys used to be the market leaders for quite a while. It sounds as if the management fell asleep and allowed the competition to catch-up and pass them by. I found that Blackberry phones are very good and reliable. There are some models that people complain about a lot. Battery life is one of the main complains that I have picked-up. With the variety of decent smart phones available on the market today, a Blackberry is not guaranteed to be the best buy anymore.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I loved Blackberry, but we have the same problem and I eventually gave up on BB altogether. The slow boot up, the constant battery draining and sluggish over all performance. But I really loved the design especially the QWERTY keypad, I still prefer physical keys more than touchscreens ( I hate touchscreen) But the thing with BB is that they're not keeping up when it comes to the OS, the BB OS is horrible compared to Android and IOS and I think BB will fall further if they don't do something quick.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Some of these problems you are experiencing are not unique to Blackberry. There are many Android devices as well that have poor battery life and do not let you remove some of the bundled software that came with the phone too. I tried looking up that particular model as well, and it appears to be over two years old, so it's going to look slow relative to all the newer devices on the market these days. Battery life may be somewhat due to the software on the phone, but it also just may have come equipped with a smaller battery to begin with.

I only had one Blackberry phone and it was a basic model that looked similar to yours, but this was back in 2010. It was an extremely light weight phone, almost to the point where it felt more like a kids toy. The device was plastic, but it still looked nice at least and didn't look "cheap". The screen on it was awful though, super low resolution with jagged text. My old Windows phone that was several years older than it had a better screen. The only reason I had the phone was because it was provided to me by my employer since I was working from home. I could never get the hang of the keyboard though, although I know some people love it. I just kept fat fingering everything on it, and would have rather had a larger screen instead. I could see it being fine for work, lightweight and dependable signal, and the lack of apps for it would be a good thing to keep employees from screwing around on it. But I would never want one for personal use.

I looked into Blackberry a few times, when they did their relaunch with the Z10, and tried to put out a premium smartphone to compete with Apple and Android (and I suppose Windows Phone). It was a solid effort, but given the timeline the company got that phone to market (less than a year after going through some big financial troubles), I can only assume it was rushed and not as polished as Android or iOS. I decided if I ever was going to try one out, I would at least wait to see if it survived to a version 2.

14. Frendminge

FrendmingeNew Member

Threads:
    blackberry was known for three things
    1. good keyboard
    2. bbm (black berry messenger)
    3. security.
    But i had heard last year or so their security system went haywire. and now a days other smarphones too offer good messenger as well as keyboard services.

15. toba_seunfunmy@yahoo.com

Threads:
    The key to the BlackBerry's usefulness is allowing users to stay in touch when they're on the go or in places where a laptop is too cumbersome to use, or to sift e-mail as it arrives to enable greater efficiency for later desktop-based sessions.

For many users, e-mail has become the primary communication vehicle, and the argument for using a BlackBerry device instead of a notebook revolves around the fact that a large population of mobile users does nothing more with a notebook than use it for e-mail. The problem is that even if the bulk of your users' work on the road involves reading e-mail, some issues must be worked out.

16. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    The problem with Blackberry if you live in the UK like myself is the unacceptable repair time. I used to own a blackberry curve 9320 which was at the lower end of it's market. The phone developed a fault with the circuit board and i was told it would have to be sent to Canada at a duration of approximately four weeks. This was highly inconvenient to me as i don't have a landline, that was my only phone. So on that basis i would not buy another Blackberry.

I did find the Blackberry excellent for messaging though and BBM was very impressive at the time but that has been superseded by whatsapp. Blackberry seems rather dated now when compared to Android and Iphone in my opinion.

17. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't come to the point of saying that Blackberry phones are bad, they just are left behind lately when it comes to technology and design compared to other major brands such as Apple, Samsung, Sony, LG etc.
    Still good smartphones though, maybe they should lower their prices in order to be more competitive?

18. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    It's not truly bad. Their problem is that they don't promote themselves nor their products enough, and they simply let the competition take their potential place without them having to struggle too much. In my opinion, if they don't consider changing something about how they lead that company, they should simply close down. They haven't been running on profit for a while, I suppose.

19. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if this is the usual behavior on Blackberry phones but mine takes ages to start whenever I take the battery out.

First makes a long pause before getting the Blackberry logo displayed, later a sort of progress bar below this begins to advance, other long waiting time before the phone is actually turned on.

Are you having the same lengthy start up process with your Blackberry phones or would be solely for my model?

20. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I already stopped using it some time ago (I had no specific reason for it, just wanted to change). But by the time I used it, I didn't find it that bad. I don't think it's as bad as they say.

However, I think this part of the experience that each person had. So it turns out to be personal.