Is It Compulsory To Purchase Travel Insurance In Your Country?

Discussion in Travel Insurance started by kaka135 • Mar 20, 2017.

1. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I have read that it is compulsory to purchase travel insurance whenever we travel overseas in certain countries, but in my country, it is not.

I was just introduced the concept of travel insurance in recent few years, and I think it's good to get the insurance when we travel, as it's considered as a very small amount as compared to the flight ticket and travel expenses, but it might save us lots of hassles if anything unlucky happens to us.

How about your country?

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Having travel insurance is not compulsory in my country. It might be a good thing to have but I am not able to assess its value because I don't know what the resulting benefits might be. Maybe someone out there might be able to enlighten me a bit on this matter.

3. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Travel insurance is not mandatory at my end. In fact I learnt about its existence only recently.

I have never used it before and have no plans to do so in future either. I don't see why should it be made as a compulsion unless people are just trying to shave money from travellers.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've not heard of it being compulsory because insurance is always optional. I mean how could they even check? Obviously it's sensible to do so, but these days credit cards often include insurance if you pay through them already.

I know for guided tours they do insist on insurance, but if you are buying a plane ticket and travel uninsured then that is a choice. Airlines can't stop you traveling if you don't have insurance as far as I know. If a country were to impose those restrictions, what can they do?

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a travel enthusiast but I do travel to some local places by land. But I have many friends who love to travel like a local tourists. I have also friends who work abroad. These are my friends who update me of their travel experiences. As I listend to them, I could imagine that I am also traveling with them.

Well as far as travel insurance is concerned, yes they pay for it for it is a part and parcel of their travel requirements especially when they are going outside the country. And I am amendable for that for they have something for their family to receive in case something wrong would happen to them while traveling.

6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Travel insurance is not compulsory in my country. However, public utility vehicles are required to secure comprehensive TPL which should cover accidents for each passenger up to a certain amount. What's compulsory is the travel tax for people who are leaving the country. The maximum travel tax is a little more than $50. If some countries impose travel insurance, that is more likely to make sure that an entity will be responsible for the unplanned expenses in case something untoward happens while a citizen is out of the country. Like the travel tax, a government can require airlines or travel agencies to implement the requirement for travel insurance.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife and I are frequent travelers abroad – 3 to 6 times in a year – but we haven’t considered buying travel insurance. Maybe because our travels are only for a very short period of time and we deem it not necessary for now. I see the purpose of insurance as for the peace of mind and since we don’t worry about our travels then I don’t think we need to purchase travel insurance.

8. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    In my country it is not compulsory to have travel insurance if you go abroad, but it is generally considered a very good idea. Otherwise if there is an accident you can be left paying for the medical bills and the problems of rearranging flights home after treatment etc. which is extremely expensive. Also, while it isn't illegal, there are some tour companies that won't let you go on trips or adventure holidays through them without insurance just to make sure they aren't stuck with the bills if anything happens.