Is It Fair For Some States To Celebrate Lincoln's Birthday (legally) & Some States Not To?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by mythman • Feb 12, 2015.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:

tells me that today is

and that it's celebrated as a legal holiday in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, New Jersey and New York (probably celebrated for reasons other than his service to the country, but still ...).

So, why do some states get a

while the rest of us have to work for our wage?

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Life is not fair, that's a fact. States are not living entities, it's the people that created, maintains, and reside in the areas designated as a State of Whatever are the entities that choose to celebrate traditions, holidays, and any yearly cultural events. Lastly, every man or woman can do whatever he or she wishes to do so long as he/she does not harm, injury, or wrong to another man or woman - so if [wo]man wishes to celebrate a holiday he wants to do, then simply do it! I don't understand why people make it so hard to simply do things without asking or pondering the multitudinous reasons why he/she should do for a day.

If your a man or woman, do what you will in life so long as you do not harm, injure, or wrong another man or woman.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find it annoying that some states celebrate Columbus Day and some don't.
    My daughter would love to have the day off but Florida doesn't celebrate it.
    If the holiday is offensive to Native Americans, then no states should celebrate it.

4. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    We "celebrate" Pulaski Day here and I've never heard of anyone else celebrating it outside of Illinois. But we get a day off school for it (well, in middle school, we did). I'm sure most states celebrate something another state doesn't, so it probably evens all out? I don't know~. I feel like this is something that's kind of hard to argue against as the people who have the holiday aren't going to say that it's dumb that other states don't have it; the ones who don't have the holiday might be called petty because they're getting upset over someone else's holiday.

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I'm talking about 'choosing whether to celebrate a specific reason,' I'm talking about "legal holidays" ... days when it's 'required by law' that you get a PAID day-off.
    We could connect this to the 'state vs. federal government debate'---especially noteworthy concerning its connection to 'marriage equality.'

(OFF-TOPIC) I say the best way to 'marriage equality': NO marriage! oh; for the legal connections, can't you just register as 'official siblings' or something?

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never understood this either, but it boils down to the power states still exert over the federal government. States have the power to declare holidays or not, and then companies can choose to enforce this or not as well. That's why some will put it in their contracts which holidays are paid for and which aren't. I remember April 15th (Patriots Day) when the Boston bombings happened and wondered why all the kids were off school. My cousin in New York said it was a state thing and it is in Massachusetts.