Is it legal to hide or change your IP address?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by Carlalexander • May 9, 2013.

1. Carlalexander

CarlalexanderMember

Threads:
    Since everyone wants to change or hide their IP address of late, is it really legal to do so? Given the fact that criminals may be doing this to do malicious activities on the internet?

2. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's legal to hide or change your IP address - at least in the UK. I am not sure what country you are in?

3. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    People have been changing/hiding their IP for ages. In fact, many computers come with dynamic IP. Where your IP address changes every time you log off or onto your computer or onto the internet. Sure it's legal.

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see why not. Hell, most of the current services that exist in my country use a dynamic IP system, so it's really hard to keep the same IP for long periods of time.

5. maurovis

maurovisNew Member

Threads:
    In Canada it's legal, depending on the site I'm visiting I usually change it up or I'll even use some proxies from time to time.

6. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    What I would like to know is: Does it really matter?

Have technologies become common to find out the IP address anyway, if it's desired? It's been a common practice so surely there must be solutions in place for those that would want to track the "hidden" IP.

7. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    It's completely legal in most countries. Some countries do ban it though, such as China.

I personally use VPNs to access offers which are only available in other countries, or see region-locked websites. This isn't illegal, but depending on the website, it may be against the terms and conditions.

8. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Well of course. China bans just about everything lol. The government is always watching its citizens so they can grab them when they are trying to bad mouth the government.

9. SuperSavingMom

SuperSavingMomMember

Threads:
    the thing is that its all technology a sender has a reciever ,,so if they realy want they can ,, but its not that easy,, they can get to you when you download stuf ,,it leaves a trace,, but its not that they have the time to track you and the other billion visitirs ,,hahaha

10. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I've changed my ip address in past but never really thought about it being legal or illegal. Good to know from the people here that it is perfectly legal. :)

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In most places changing an IP address is legal. Even in countries like China where they want to see everything their people are doing, you could still get around the censorship by using a VPN. Yes it's possible to detect VPN traffic but some of the companies offering the service have come up with ways to combat that:

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here, so I think it's perfectly ok to change or hide your IP address. Besides, we never hear any kind of news that someone when to jail or got arrested for changing or hiding their IP address.

13. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    It's legal but make sure you learn how to do it legitimately. Many of the free software downloads that promise to do it are dangerous and a few feel very much connected to the police because it raises a red flag. But in the end, yes it's legal.

14. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My IP address changes a lot of times because my network provider uses a shared IP that changes all the time. Is it legal? Of course it is! It's just like changing your home address or mobile phone or laptop or car. Nobody can prevent you or sue you for changing your IP.

Can you hide your IP? Of course! Is it legal? Yes! There is no written law regarding the illegality of hiding your IP address.

It may be a practice that is frowned upon by others but they're completely legal.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm sure it is legal. It's just what you do when you change your address that might be questionable, but if you are just doing it to free up some restricted videos or something similar then I imagine it can't be too frowned upon. The only thing you'd really need to watch out for is the seriously illegal stuff but otherwise I think it is all within legal boundaries.

16. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Until I read posts by other people on here, I had actually assumed it was illegal. Some of the sites I write for (I am a freelance writer) will ban you if you tamper with your IP address so maybe it is just frowned upon. To be honest, I am not technically knowledgeable about things like this and would have no idea how to do it anyway.

17. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it is legal. Theoretically if you were to be doing something legal in many cases it would be possible to trace back anyway. But individuals and hackers would not be able to see your IP address, so it's perfectly legal and many people do it.

18. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    The act of changing or hiding your IP, as with a VPN, is completely legal (in most countries). But there are plenty of illegal things you can do with it. From hiding because you're selling drugs to simply taking advantage of offers meant for other territories or countries, the possibilities are plenty. :)

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    VPNs are supposed to help people by-pass censorship. Some countries like China block many sites. Tech-savvy Chinese citizens use VPNs to work their way around that censorship.

For the rest of the folks, most of them use VPNs to access sites which block them because of their geographical location.

Only a few people use VPNs to hide/change their IP addresses so that they can't be traced when they scam someone, steal money or commit any other crime on the net.

20. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Super legal, but the powers that be can still always keep tabs on your IP. It really depends on what exactly the reason for hiding and who you are hiding it from. For example, you can't hide your IP when it has to be known by requirement to participate in an online paid program. However, for just general purposes, it's quite fine to do so. I do alto of online work form home, so in my case in association with those, it would be bad for me to do so.