Is It Wise To Have A Single Password For All Google Applications?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by luckycharm • Dec 23, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I wonder what will happen if somebody happen to know our google account password. He can easily access our other applications like Gmail, Picasa, YouTube and many more. I think Google should give an option to select different passwords for each applications if user wishes to do so. I think now we don't have a choice here (correct me if I am wrong).

What do you think, is it good to have a single password for a group of applications serving different purposes?

2. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to have different passwords to limit damage if one is compromised.

Unfortunately, from Google's point of view it is all one account, which is why it only has one password. When youtube and blogspot were seperate I had different passwords on them, but google combined them, and does make it difficult to create seperate non-linked accounts. One account with different passwords for different levels of access is simply giving more access points to a hacker. If they did something like Linux, with a master account and root password, but allowed seperate user passwords and accounts with limited priviledges under that, so the root account was very rarely used, that would be more secure.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Having different passwords for every application is a much safer option but as I am very forgetful I think I might forget most of my passwords. I guess writing them down can solve the problem or I will have to get used to it. For Google all the apps is considered one account so I guess that's why we don't have the option to have different passwords.

4. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I am very particular on this. I change my passwords at regular intervals. As you rightly said we can't remember all these usernames and passwords. I have a diary for this purpose where I note down all the details. I have seen some people maintaining a soft-copy for this purpose. But that is not at all safe. Anybody can hack into your system and access those sensitive details even without your knowledge. Anything that can be accessed can be hacked too Keeping it offline is the safest way to go.

In Google and associated applications too I would like to keep separate passwords but there is no option for that. But I keep on changing the passwords quite often. This is the only thing I can do now.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    It is probably best to have the strongest and different passwords for each, but I think that we all know that this is just not the reality for most of us. I have trouble remembering two.

6. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I use the same password for all of my google applications. They say there is risk associated with using the same password every where. When your one account is hacked, it is very likely that your another account will also be hacked. However, there is also problem with having different passwords. You could forget password and have to initiate password change frequently.

7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    The only option Google has left us with is frequent change of password with every new password more stronger than the previous one.

That way you are satisfied that it is harder for hacker to get in to your account.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Changing your password often is a smart idea I think I might start doing so now. Yes, I feel is unsafe to save our passwords online or even in the PC as someone may easily hack them. I would keep it in a notebook where I am sure will be much safer and store away in a safe place.

9. juan dela cruz

juan dela cruzMember

Threads:
    This thread has a great point considering that many google applications shares the same account. I have a youtube channel which shares also same password with all my other accounts. The worst site that I am most afraid of is my google Adsense account because all my income from youtube goes to that account. It also has same password to my Gmail which I am using for my Paypal account and it receives valuable emails containing transactions. I think the best way is to just regularly change your password so that you could lower the chance of being hack.

10. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Your google aapps are connected through your gmail, you will be using the same login details for various google apps. if anybody hacks your password, he will not only be able to get into your gmail, but also adsense, which might cost a fortune. The best way to handle this problem is by using a password that is a combination of number, letters, sumbols and uppercase and lower case letters.