Is Package Touring Is Worthy?

Discussion in Travel started by naruto100 • Feb 11, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I am asking about every concept. Personally I love to manage things by myself which is not thoroughly available in package touring. We have to do all the things as per timing ( I know they aren't that strict , lol). But still managing tours by my self is more easy and convenient thing for at least me. I mean I can spend more days on my favorite places as I decide.

What do you prefer and why?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a coincidence. I just got home from the travel expo where we bought plane tickets for Korea, Taiwan and Singapore, all tickets at a great discount. There were booths offering packaged tours but the cost is extravagant. The cheapest package tour we saw was that of Hongkong. However, it is not really practical if you are used to going abroad. Maybe for a first timer to go out of the country, it is advisable to take the package tour so you will be relaxed since the tour guide will take care of you. But for frequent travelers like us, it is better to just buy plane tickets and choose an affordable hotel via online booking. For the itinerary, it is easy to find good spots by searching in the internet.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Package tours are fine but you have to compromise with some of your choices in the process. I prefer individual tours because I do not want to follow the beaten tracks but I always try to search some new areas which are not covered by package tours. For instance I have plans to visit certain off rout destination which will clash with itinerary of a package tour.

4. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy That's the perfect advice. If we are going to some strange place then better we go for some package as we can have all guide with us. But yes if we have already traveled one place and we are going for it another time then we can set whole program by our self.

@Ray1@Ray1 That is why I also used to prefer individual travelling. Tour packages surely not cover all areas and we can't stay on one particular place we like for more days as all are pre-scheduled.

#4Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 For instance we took a trip to Goa in a package tour long ago which was more of a burden on us rather than a pleasant experience. First we did not get the rooms of our choice and then the transfer service was too poor. Besides waiting for group members while going to other places in the bus was the worst thing for both of us. I have never tried a group travel ever since.

#5Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
  6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I only travelled once in a tour package but that was because it was a school trip to a foreign destination. I hated their timetable but was glad for the group as the area wasn't safe for women.

After that, I have always preferred to plan out individually and grab cheaper deals in everything. That way I can save and enjoy my trip too.

7. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 I always thought about such problems and avoid such travelling since starting. After reading your experience I am glad that I did avoid such travelling. Because once I was thinking about it and I thought about such situation you mentioned and I dropped the plan. Yes all those problems are quite common in group travelling, that's why I don't use package travelling. Even individual travelling with package touring may go wrong in many ways. So better fix things by own.

#7Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel the same about a new country for the first time go with a package tour, aside it's being cheaper, it's safer especially if it's a country with English as a second language. But for a place you know and are familiar with it travel is more of a by choice for then it's safer to go alone with your own itinerary since you are familiar with the place. Travel is fun which ever way you go is up to you. Happy travels!

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I agree with you, it's safe to travel in group while traveling to a country which is totally unknown to you or one should read advisory issued by your government before traveling to a particular country for risk level but I travel mostly for work purpose so group traveling is not possible for me. As far traveling in my own country is concerned I have already traveled a lot so I know every nook and corner of my country that I need no support but yes it is cheaper than traveling alone if you can sacrifice some of your privacy and comfort..

#9Mar 2, 2017
  10. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe Yes, if place is new and unknown then better to have some guidance so that we don't feel uncomfortable. Though I have never tried anything like packaging. We used to go in group of friends or family, so we somehow manage all the things without problem. Yes if we are going in small amount, then better to go with pre-planned otherwise we may face problem.

Surely traveling is fun in any ways. We just need to be safe in all the way.

#10Mar 2, 2017
  11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always felt that the agency/tour organizer always look at their own interest first so they offer inferior services in the name of cheap/economical package. If you calculate or look at the breakup of the package thoroughly you will find that you could have traveled better at the same cost. As far, security and direction factors, you can find them easily if you study things before undertaking a tour.

12. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 Yes it is true. Security is little problem but if you have studies well about the place I think it is not that bit thing. About direction now we have many facilities to reach to destination without anyone's help. You are quite right about costing too, I mean we can surely travel better with that much costing, after all they are earning commission from us too so they must be charging high. People can always search on internet about place and then plan with help of Google maps for directions.

#12Mar 3, 2017
  13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady We had received so many invitations for a packaged tour in groups particularly to the Holy Land (Israel and Europe). When our traveler friends would take a group tour, they would invite us in order to earn a discount. But we have experienced a group tour in our first trip to Hongkong in 1994. Yeah, that issue of waiting for some people in your group can sometimes get to your nerves. I remember going to Victoria Peak and the tour guide said we can roam the place and be back in the bus on a certain hour. Guess what? Some in the group came 30 minutes late. That’s really irritating because those people have wasted our precious time. A group tour is a big no-no to me.

#13Mar 4, 2017
  14. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady That is why I too avoid such tour packages. Their time table and schedule are always uncomfortable, mostly for me. yes if we are alone and place is not that safe then better to go with someone. For me I always prefer individual touring by my self but we used to go in group so we can handle new places easily as well. If we are alone then better to have safe trip by having proper guidance.

#14Mar 4, 2017
  15. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    The main advantage of Packaged tour is that you can have a tension free travel. The concern of boarding and lodging is taken care of by the business.

However, if you're a free soul and want to explore, packaged tour might not be a good idea to avail. They will only take you to those destinations which are there in their catalog. Thus your travel aspirations get curtailed.

16. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @moondebi@moondebi Well, everything is having its own advantage and disadvantage. And yes the thing you mentioned is one of the advantage of package touring. But I don't like few things. Like hotels they choose I don't find them good, so somehow we must have to follow their things. Even timing are pre planned. So its the worse thing of this kind of touring. I surely like to move everywhere with no fixed time.

#16Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  17. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    This will be really having such a great and most appealing time as it.