Is Wired Or Wireless Connection Better?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by luckycharm • Nov 25, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Nowadays almost everything is going WiFi and this is good to get rid of those confusing cables. But on money perspective is it advisable to have WiFi in place of wired ones?

I think the most important benefit of WiFi is that we can save some initial cost on wiring. You can also connect many devices to a single WiFi hotspot. Its ease of usage and freedom in movements give it a definite edge over wired connections.

But I am just curious to know which is the best one in terms of saving on money?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer wifi as many devices can be connected at once. Besides it is easier for portability where as you can have you laptop where ever you'd like. When only wired connection exsisted we weren't able to use the phones internet without having it to cost way too much.

3. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    The cost isn't really high for wireless connection these days unlike in the beginning days when it was first introduced.

It is beneficial, quicker and practically covers bigger area than the wire connection.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Technically speaking, wired is the best connection for the computer to the Internet. Wireless is naturally slower although the difference in speed is very minimal. But in terms of cost, nothing can beat wireless because cable installation in a LAN is laborious and costly. If the computers have built in wifi adaptors then using wifi is a breeze.

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I just like the comfort of wireless connections, just reach out to my computer or any other gadget open it and I am connected. I don't like seeing wires all over me it could be confusing knowing which wire goes for a particular device. I don't agree that the system can go slow in wireless connection, the fact is many systems can easily be linked in and this could cause a little stress on the connection. Economic too wise wireless is better.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    In what costs are concerned it's the same for me, as I have a router where I can connect the cable or connect wi-fi. Funny story I have though, I upgraded the OS of my computer and it kept freezing, until I noticed this only happened when I was connected by cable, so most likely it was a bug with the driver or something like that.

7. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I use USB Data Dongle in my home and wifi in my office. Both of these internet connections are wireless. I use prepaid internet via Data Dongle and postpaid internet service through wifi. In the past I have also used cable internet. Based on my experience, I can say wireless internet connection is better that wired connection in many ways. Wireless is fast compared to wired.

8. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    The fact is that I used the cable because I thought it would be faster and in fact when I did the speedtest online it says it's faster, but now that I am using wireless I don't notice any difference in speed, so most likely for my usage it doesn't make any difference, so I am better off without the cable in the way.

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    First let us consider its serviceability. Wireless connection is better than the wired one. As to money saving is concerned, wireless is cost-money saving. You may use a router to spread its availability to other Internet users. While in wired, there would be many LAN cords to use to accommodate many users.

10. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Why do you say that wireless is better? By definition wireless connection is always slower than cable!

The second part I agree with though, it's more convenient to connect, but we are sharing speed when we share wireless I believe.

11. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Wi-Fi is still helpful. Wi-Fi permits you to get a cell phone, tablet, or portable PC on your system from anyplace, moving around — that is self-evident. Be that as it may, Wi-Fi additionally permits you to interface gadgets to your system without running an Ethernet link, so it can simply be helpful notwithstanding when you would prefer not to try running an Ethernet link from your switch to a gadget in another room in your home.

That is the genuine motivation to utilize Wi-Fi: accommodation. In the event that a gadget needs to move around or you simply would prefer not to run a link to it, Wi-Fi is the correct decision. Then again, on the off chance that you have a desktop PC or server that sits in a solitary place, or on the off chance that you have an amusement comfort or set-beat box that stays by your television, Ethernet is still a decent alternative. Accepting it's sufficiently simple to connect the gadgets to with an Ethernet link, you'll get an all the more reliably strong association. Yes, Ethernet is better.

Be that as it may, it's not really that greatly improved, and the vast majority might be cheerful remaining with Wi-Fi and disregarding running Ethernet links. It's dependent upon you — testing your association rates and dormancy with the speed test and ping devices above can help you settle on a more educated choice.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I wanted something simple, fast and with 24/7 tech support and it was a wifi connection that was offered with all this so I took it. Being user friendliest, I found that I like wifi and wireless the best because simply it's simple to use. Speed I found that both are equal to each other. Ease is with wireless. I prefer wireless for safety and ease.

13. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    For remote areas I think wireless broadband service is a blessing. Like in my case there is no landline service in our location and therefore I depend on a 4G mobile broadband connection. I am really happy with its performance and speed and now I can download even huge files within minutes.

So it is not only convenient for me but also like a life saver. I think portability is a major advantage in wireless environment. I use a Huawei 4G dongle as WiFi hotspot and I can move around freely anywhere in my house. Even though it says a radius of 10 meters it is accessible far beyond that.

I can connect up to 10 devices to it but then we have to compromise on the speed.

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    In terms of infrastructure sure, if we live in a remote location wireless can be pretty much a blessing like you say @luckycharm@luckycharm, but if we live in a city it's just a matter of personal convenience and costs I believe. And yes like I mentioned before, you connect a lot of devices, but the connection becomes slower.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well obviously the wireless gives a whole lot more flexibility and freedom, but there is something in me that still has to think that the wired connection is just faster and more secure. I know that things are improving, but I still think that this is the case for the most part at least.

16. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you speak to any tech expert they will tell you wired is always better as wi-fi is never guaranteed, data can be limited, and is more expensive. Obviously wi-fi is more convenient, but for downloads, wired is better. I have worked at lots of events and wi-fi is unreliable and people pay for a wired connection to their stands. Those who use wi-fi always ended up with no reception, and it does depend on how many other users are using the same network at the time. A wired connection will always be better and cheaper.

17. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That's how I see it too @Theo@Theo, even if wifi these days is way more reliable than it used to be. As for wifi being more expensive I really don't know, why do you say that? Wired network at events seems to be something extremely complicated to manage because they need to use the existing infra-structure and many time that is not suitable for the event.

18. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is actually more expensive because you have fair use and if you go over that, then your service can be cut. With wired there is still fair use, but downloads are faster. Many services allow so much data and then charge more.

Wired networks are not complicated at all; all they do is add it on and as it is a landline it is guaranteed. I used to have people in near tears when the wi-fi stopped working, and all the tech people would say if it's not wired then it's as their own risk. I've worked in events for a couple of decades, and while people do use wi-fi, most prefer a wired connection or their own hotspot if they are at an event. Also wired connections are harder to hack!

19. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    We have both at home, and performance wise wired one is far better then the wireless. However, the one point where wireless scores more is its mobility factor. With a cable stuck to the device, the user also become chair-bound. A router can help, but the whole place becomes a wired Jig-saw.

20. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, downloads and uploads are faster with wired network, but with the use I give it I don't really feel a difference. No question, wired networks are harder to hack and they are more reliable, but if there isn't a good wired structure wifi is what's more practical to use for 1 or 2 day events.