'just In Case' Gifts

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by YDdraig • Oct 5, 2015.

1. YDdraig

YDdraigNew Member

Threads:
    With Christmas coming up, I'm on the hunt for bargains to add to my box of 'just in case' gifts. Anything that is a proper bargain I'll buy in advance, and either use to cover the gifts that I've messed up and forgot to buy, or else I'll bundle them in hampers for people. It can help to take the stress off massively, given that it gives me twelve months to start building up my stash.

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's always good to plan these things ahead. Some people I know start buying their Chrismas gifts for the next year in the Boxing Day sales! Well, why not? Not only does it reduce the stress of the holiday preparations, buying in the sales also gives you the opportunity to get some great gifts for people at a knockdown price.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I do the same thing with kids presents. I have a rather large bin that I keep toys that would make great presents in. They are usually good quality toys that I have found on sale and are such a great bargain I can't pass it up. I've gone into this bin so many times when my kids come with birthday invitations and the party is just a few days away. Save me having to run out and buy something full price.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I sort of do this as well. Just picked up a couple of things for my overseas friends, in fact, since Christmas is coming up quickly. We exchange small packages semi-frequently outside of the holidays as well, so it’s always handy to have a little stash of things ready to go. If I see something on clearance I think one of them will like, or if I run across a small, inexpensive item, I’ll buy it and put it in the stash. I try not to go overboard but it seems to be a good tactic in general.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Check your local wine shops after the holidays, they often are trying to unload any holiday themed bottles of wine at a cheap price. You can buy these up and hang on to them for the next holiday season and hand them out as gifts. Just be sure to store them properly. Also, places such as World Market (aka Cost Plus), have a great selection of wines at good prices. You can stock up on some of those to have on hand to bring with you as a gift when visiting others.

Places like Amazon, Wal-Mart and Big Lots have good prices on electronic gadgets such as portable Bluetooth speakers. Pretty much everyone has a smartphone these days, so that's a good "neutral" gift that most people can use.

Barnes & Noble always has a section of books marked down for clearance - look for some fun coffee table books that your friends might appreciate, such as a book on pop art, or photography. Just be sure to remove the "clearance" sticker from them and make sure they are in new condition and not too beat up.

Stores like Dollar Tree have all sorts of cheap baskets, wrapping paper, tissue paper, ribbons and what not. You could make your own gift baskets - such as a coffee themed basket with a bag or two of Starbucks beans/ground coffee and some syrups, chocolate covered coffee beans, etc...

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:This is a wonderful idea. When we had did our family gatherings for the holidays I always did what you did buying presents on sale all year long. Even bought for that just in case events one sale of course. It's a good way to economize and give everyone gifts!:)

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread if very appropriate for us. People in our circle know our attitude during the Christmas season - that we are so generous with gifts. We cannot predict who would drop by in our house so we are always ready with just-in-case gifts. And we have the category - adult male, adult female, children, rich, middle class, etc. Giving gifts is always on a case-to-case basis so there is a variety in our stock.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have a pile like this, and it's composed of many different things like gifts I wasn't able to send out in previous years, new items I found on sale for very cheap throughout the current year, and some that were gifts from other holidays that I don't intend on using so I am keeping them either to sell later on or I'm going to regift them sometime in the future. It's not a big pile and it doesn't take up a lot of space but it comforts me knowing I have a backup.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm always buying gifts right on from January but I also have a coin jar where all my change goes. At the end of the year I empty it and use that cash to buy gifts right on Christmas eve because they usually sell lots of things at discounted prices then because they must sell as much as they can before 25th. That's when I buy all my "just in case" gifts.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to always start as soon as Christmas was over, and I'd buy some extras for those unexpected gift occasions that arise. There's always someone who surprises you with a gift, and it's nice to have something to give in return. I don't exchange many gifts these days, so I don't have as many extras lying around, but I do still try to have one, just in case.

11. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I always have a stash of 'Just In Case' gifts at the ready for situations in which I need a holiday gift quickly. I usually use such gifts for hostess gifts or gifts to neighbors or colleagues. If I still have quite a few of them left over near the end of my gift-giving, I slip them in to other gifts in order to use them up, and then I start again next year.

My 'Just-In-Case' gift stash usually includes small items that can be paired together. Such items include small packages of fancy chocolates, candy canes, cute Christmas tree ornaments that I have found on clearance throughout the year, boxes of hot chocolate mix, scented candles, pretty kitchen hand towels, etc. Many of these items I will purchase on Black Friday for very cheap. Also, these items can usually be found at the Dollar Tree as well.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My parents have been doing this for years and as a result end up hoarding ridiculous amounts of things. In their garage there lies boxes of gifts that can be used from tea towels, candles, alcohol (they don't drink) and boxes of chocolates and biscuits. As long as you have space it's fine.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually buy anything that could go bad, such as candies and cookies or other foods. That way, if they don't all get passed out I can save them for another time. I usually try to get stuff that isn't necessarily Christmas related, in case I need a last minute birthday gift sometime as well.

I do pick up some pretty ornaments at the post Christmas sales occasionally, so yeah, those definitely only work as Christmas presents. The rest, I try to keep as neutral as possible. I find that cool socks and gloves can be nice, and I do like to make up gift baskets, so sometimes my "just in case" stuff gets made into a basket.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a habit of having some just in case gifts laying around my house, in case I need them. They are small little gifts that don't cost a lot at all, but I think it is nice to do that. Sometimes even at work I feel like giving a small gift to someone and I already have some at home.