Landline phone vs. cell phone

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by clewand550 • Apr 15, 2012.

1. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    How many of you have gotten away from a landline phone and just have a cell phone? We got rid of our landline phone many years ago and have saved a lot of money doing this. We felt that there was no reason to have both a landline phone and a cell phone. It is amazing how much money we have saved by just going with a cell phone. Our cell phone company has different packages that we could choose from just like other cell phone companies. The one that we chose gives us plenty of minutes, free incoming calls and free calls between 7:00 P.M. and 7:00 A.M. With our plan, we pay a flat rate for the first phone, the second phone is included at no additional rate and the third and fourth phones are just an extra $10.00 each. We have four family members in our household. We can always get a hold of anyone that we want 24 hours a day, no matter where we are. This works well for us and saves us money. How many other people have saved money by getting rid of your landline phone and using just a cell phone?

2. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    My household still has a landline phone, but we're probably going to just use our cellphones in the near future. It will save quite a bit of money... Besides, there's nothing your landline can do that you're cellphone can't (except maybe caller ID).
    Yeah... I'll probably get rid of my landline within the next month or two.
    My cellphone is with me everywhere, so it won't be a problem.

Do you have like, a guestimate of how much money you saved by eliminating your landline and using a cellphone?

3. Zacko

ZackoExpert

Threads:
    I've actually gone ahead and disconnected my land-line phone, as there's no need for it as I always carry my cell-phone with me everywhere. I have no regrets so far!

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I haven't had a landline in a while now. My mom still has hers and has said she'd always keep it because she has a lot of people who -only- know that number. I think even she has finally decided to stop using it, though, and will likely cancel hers soon.

5. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    We actually still use a land line in the house. Cellular is great and all that. But for the house, land line is the way to go. Plus there is the added bonus that it isn't as easy to tap into a person's conversation with a land line.

6. hummingbirdee

hummingbirdeeMember

Threads:
    I like your idea of using cell phones and getting rid of the land line. We get our high speed internet through our land line. I notice that our land line is not clear and crackles a lot. I would like to get rid of it and find another way to get our wireless internet service. I like my cell phone because it is dependable and all of our family members use the same company. We are able to talk to each other without using up minutes because we are not charged for that. You have made me think that we need to rethink what we are doing. I need to run the numbers and see if we could do this a better way.

7. shanontherocks

shanontherocksNew Member

Threads:
    I really need a land-line back. I miss the security of one. A cell phone is good to have, but I want it for back-up. I love to talk on the phone and hate having to end conversations or stop playing games or I can't check email because my battery dies. Give me a landline and a home computer and I will be just fine.

8. brentcsi101

brentcsi101New Member

Threads:
    With cell phones having not so good battery life these days, I can't afford to be tied down to a wall if I have no land line. If I have a land line, I can use any of my 3 home phones to talk, all with batteries that last for days. So until they make smartphones last a week, my land line is staying.

9. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I am afraid to depend just on a cell phone, so we recently signed up for a package through our phone provider for home phone, DSL internet, and cable for a reduced price for two years. I have a smartphone with a data plan, but this has proved to be too expensive for us to afford right now, so we are downgrading to a cheap phone for me with pre-paid minutes. I will keep that phone for the car when I'm on the road and just use our landline at home.

10. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I'd switch to a cell phone if I could. The problem is we're not in a place that gets good reception from any provider. If I need to use our cell phone because the power is off or because someone called me on it for some crazy reason, I have to go stand on our porch steps to talk on it. Any further and it will cut out. If I'm inside, it won't work.

Instead of a regular landline, we use the Magic Jack internet phone. The old ones plug into your USB port and your phone and you could use it as long as your computer and internet were on. The new ones plug into an outlet and your phone and use wireless to connect. But, it works great and it's like $30 a year with unlimited long distance, voice mail and caller ID. The only downside that I can think of is that their customer service is crap and you can't use the phone if the power goes out. I haven't had to deal with customer service yet but I do have a cell in case we lose power.

11. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    Everyone I know switched to cellphones. Only companies still use landline phones. In fact, I don't even know when our landline phone rang last time. But we keep it cause it came free with the internet and TV cable package.
    Nowadays you can get offers like 3000 minutes + 3000 sms in your own network + 75 minutes in all networks in the country for 5€, which is a very good deal.

12. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    We're all cell phones here - me and my 2 kids (well, mostly grown kids, 19 & 21, but we all live together). I work from home and you'd think a landline would make sense for me, but last year when my cell phone died, while I waited to replace it, I discovered I could send text messages to my kids through my email, so it was easy to keep in touch with them when they were out and about without my having a phone. And people could leave voice mails for me on their phones if they really needed to talk to me. It was a great workaround.

13. Zacko

ZackoExpert

Threads:
    A great alternative to a land-line phone is a Magic-Jack. It works similar to dial-up Internet, but the exact opposite- It'll slow down your Internet while you talk on the phone. The pricing is under $25.00 per year, and allows for near unlimited calling with very nominal overseas fees.

14. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had a land line in a while because I kept moving too often to maintain one. My landline was a voip, though, and I really liked the idea of that.

15. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I did away with my land-line phone years ago. My cell phone bill is more expensive then my land-line and Internet bill ever was, but my cell phone bill has always been higher. If I did away with my cell phones, you don't even want to know how much I would save! But since we have cell phones and the Internet through the cell service, I do save money by not having a land-line. Besides, if I am on the phone for an hour all week that is a lot :)

16. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't used a landline phone for many years. The only use I have for a landline is to connect to the internet. Come to think of it, I don't even use a phone much at all. Just about all my communications is done via email.

17. Brendan

BrendanMember

Threads:
    I am currently away at college. Therefore, I really only have one option. And that option is...cell phone! Even back home, I use my cell phone more than the land line. Even my parents have gotten in the habit of doing so, but that's only because for a while our home phone was broken & we could only receive calls.

18. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I still have my landline. I've use DSL for Internet, and my cellphone plan is minimal. I've thought about getting cable for the Internet and getting rid of the landline, but I would have to get a more expensive plan for the cell (I'm grandfathered into an ultra-cheap plan), which would cost me a lot more since my landline is so cheap. I also prefer talking on a landline - it's just easier to hear.

19. angeldrb

angeldrbNew Member

Threads:
    We also got rid of our landline two years ago because none of our contacts use it either. All our communications are done through mobile phones and emails. :) But sometimes, I miss having a landline because now I can't have 5-hour phone conversations with my friends anymore. Calling via mobile is expensive here. Plus, I have to worry about my phone's battery life.

20. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I do not have a big family and they all live here in Florida therefore I do not need international calling. I also am only home after 6 p.m. everyday and I am out of my home by early morning so the time I am home is after business hours when no telemarketers or other survey takers should be calling to disturb me so I have discontinued use of a house phone for years now. I have been using just a mobile for about 7 years and I really dont see a need for a home phone. Even my internet is wireless so I really have no need for it.