Landline phone vs. cell phone

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by clewand550 • Apr 15, 2012.

1. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Since leaving home, I never got a landline as I have been traveling quite a bit, so it made little sense to keep on opening an account for a few months. I use email for most of my online communications, I only use my cell to affirm meeting times etc...and skype for long distance calls. I see very little usage for a landline phone...and I do not see that changing any time soon.

2. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    If you're not home much, I can see how it wouldn't make sense to pay for one. But I'm home most of the time, so it makes more sense for me to use a landline and just use a cellphone for when I'm in the car.

3. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I stick with just my cell phone. First of I cannot afford to pay for both a land line and a cell phone. Due to my busy schedule, no one would ever reach me on a landline, so I do not even bother with it. Plus with my cell phone, I do not have to worry about long distance charges, which is important to me since quite a few of my family members live out of state.

4. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    I went the other way almost and chose a magic Jack for long distance which costs me $20 a YEAR. My land line kept climbing in fees so I considered cancelling it. When I called expressing my annoyance with the increase of my bill, I was given $20 off my regular bill. They knew many people were going with your idea and wanted to keep the customers they could, I would imagine. I have a tracfone for my cell phone, yet I do not have it because I gave it to my daughter to use some of the 1300 minutes I had accumulated on it over 8 years of no use. I was only using it for an emergency and thank God I did not have any emergencies.

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't used a landline phone in ages. I prefer the cellphone because it actually costs less than using a landline. I noticed the cellphone costs for long distance calls is non-existent, and the landline phone there are extra fees for long distance calls. I like being able to set the cellphone to ring at a lower tone.

The old house phone I used to use would drive me crazy with the loud ringer. With a cellphone I get my choice to answer the phone with different ringtones. The plans of the prepaid phones are really inexpensive, and some of them are about $30-$40 a month.

If you factor in paying your house phone with the cellphone bill, you're looking at almost $70-$80 a month. There's not a texting feature on the landline phone, but the cellphone you have access to texting, music, movies, and videos. Anyone that is still using a landline is behind the times, and I wouldn't trade in my cellphone in for the world.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a landline in the house for security reasons for the kids when they are home alone. I use my cell phone for all of my calls and my daughter uses her cell also.

When the kids get cell phones she may decide to cancel the landline to save money. I have disconnected from cable tv also, everything is online so I do not use cable.

7. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to be able to do this, but living in an extremely rural area keeps us from that. We get barely 1 bar here at the house so this just isn't in the stars for us to be able to do. It seems like such a waste of money paying for 2 phone services.

8. Doodle12

Doodle12New Member

Threads:
    I have a "bundle" with Times Warner, internet and home phone. I thought I was getting a good enough deal that I could keep a land line. Why? I guess I am just holding on to the past. There really is no reason to have a land line anymore. Is it a good back-up plan? If my cell phone has disrupted service what are the chances my land line will still work? I live in southern California and we are prone to wildfires and earthquakes. I think I am holding on to what I know and trust with a land line and using the cell phone when I am not at home.

9. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I finally let go of the landline last year. I felt like a chump paying two phone bills every month. I had been doing it since 1994! We have unlimited cell phone minutes and it just didn't make sense anymore. The landline barely rang, unless someone was trying to sell us something. Its been about a year, and I haven't missed my landline, or the bill at all. Welcome to 2012!

10. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I finally got rid of the landline just a few months ago when we moved into our new home. I had one at the old house just for the computer, so we hadn't used it to make a phone call in over 6 years. We needed to reduce our costs, so when we moved we went with cable for TV and internet and dropped the phone line altogether. We are saving close to $60 a month now by not having it.

11. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I have a pay as I go cellphone, because I make very few calls and recieve even fewer. I have to thus keep a landline, because on the one hand it's bundled in with the cable and on the other hand I'm one of those odd people who still uses dial-up internet. Also if I have an especially long call that has to be made it comes out as cheaper if I take it on the landline versus my cell phone. I don't know - it works for me and my financial situation so I'm unlikely to change it in the immediate future... or ever.

12. l33t

l33tMember

Threads:
    It really depends on the situation. I rarely travel outside of my home, with the exception of daily duties. I like to use my landline phone because for some reason, my carrier AT&T (I already tried Verizon and Sprint) stinks at voice quality. With the landline, it's convenient to pick up the phone. Usually, I miss my cell phone calls because I don't know where I put my phone. Also, I like the way my landline phone feels, with the curve. Cell phones produce lots of radiation on low battery.

13. Jailynnsgrandma

JailynnsgrandmaMember

Threads:
    We use cell phones in my house. However, we do have a land line phone. Originally we had it for my work, when I no longer needed it and called to get rid of it, I found my bill would actually be a couple of dollars more without it. I know it makes no sense, but I guess with the bundle we have through Cox that is how it would be.

14. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    I have Verizon so they have a plan where your landline phone is basically free! It shares minutes with your cell-phone so it doesn't matter which one you are using. I give all my relatives my landline phone and just keep my cell phone for friends. Even though most of the people that call my landline are 1-800 numbers, it is still nice to have it around for free.

15. Moneysaver93

Moneysaver93Member

Threads:
    I have both a land line phone and a cell phone. However, I have decided to keep my land line phone because of a brief time where I was having trouble with my cell phone coverage. If the tower went out then my coverage went with it. That's why I have kept a land line phone in case something like that happens again. it may cost a little bit more, but at least it's pretty dependable.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a landline in my apartment. It's my roommate's. It's a cable line. It was part of a package deal. Phone, cable tv and the Internet. I haven't had a landline for years. My only concern about cell phones is that I'm not sure if 911 will be able to track your location if you get disconnected from the emergency operator.

17. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    We just basically have cellphones no landlines anymore. We barely stay in our house everyday I see no point at this time to have them still.

Unfortunately we dont have 911 in our country so no use for that either.

18. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    I still have a landline and probably always will. There is just something about the security and reliability of a landline. Cellphones are great but when there are storms and other things, that landline can seem like a lifesaver.

19. fallace

fallaceNew Member

Threads:
    We got rid of our home phone service a while ago, and set up google voice; with the system we have in place, it's entirely free! It's a great way to compromise and keep what is essentially a landline.

20. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    I haven't had a land line in over a year. Me personally I'm a very technological savvy person. I love all the newest gadgets and phones that come out. I have a iPhone and I personally don't ever think ill get rid of my cell phones. Landlines seem to be a thing of the past.