Landlines to be discontinued

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by MrsJones • Dec 11, 2014.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    How will this affect businesses that still use a landline? I know landline use amongst individuals is at an all time low, but business seem to still prefer it to mobile.

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My guess in all of this is that businesses are the reason for the change. It seems like once a new technology is integrated into the business sector it inevitably affects the private sector as well.

3. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I realise that landline is still important to businesses as having a landline number gives a company a more reputable image than just having a mobile number would. Customers also feel more secure in doing business with a company that shows a landline number. The way companies do business is changing though with employees now spending more and more time away from their desks and as a result are missing potentially important calls by just having a desk phone.

O2 have a service called ''fixed number anywhere'' that provides business with a landline number that rings straight through to a mobile phone. Each landline number can be linked to up to 10 employee phones so missed calls are minimised and customers still have a reputable image of the company due to the retained landline number. This is another example of large companies adapting to changing needs.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a modem phone now, but it doesn't work when the Internet goes out. I'm wondering how reliable the service will be, once they stop regular land line service. If Internet service isn't working, which happens a lot in emergencies, how will the phone work when you need it most? I'm sure they're doing this to save lots of money, so I hope they intend to lower their prices as well. I just hope people have reliable access too.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't think the landline as we currently know it is not about to be discontinued all across the board. It's probably just a business decision made by that company in the face of oversaturation.