Learn how to fix your car?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Denis Hard • Jul 4, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It may not be the best investment but supposing you decided to learn how to be an auto-mechanic . . .

This would not only save you money in the long run but should you desire to, you could start an auto-repair business on the side. You could also be your neighbors go-to mechanic. This could make you some good dough in your free time.

Anyway, would learning how to fix you car be beneficial to you in terms of what you'd save taking your car to the professionals for servicing and other stuff?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, learning to fix our cars is beneficial - at least the low level, easy stuff. Imagine that your car breaks down in the middle of the nowhere on a little circulated road. Maybe the defection is small and easily fixable, but you have no idea where to look and what to do. What do you do then? Waste money and time until a professional comes to fix the issue. Not to mention that more money can be save if you learn how to do easy maintenance stuff, like checking the oil levels or air pressure in the tires.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    You don't need to be a full on mechanic to save money fixing things yourself. You only need some knowledge of how your car works and a few tools to save a lot of money. There are certain types of repairs that require specialized equipment and facilities but most maintenance issues can be done by the owner.

I met a woman who didn't know how to check her tire pressure - she offer to pay me to do it for her as I was checking mine at the gas station. I helped her out for free but she could very well have had to pay someone for the service. Changing a tire, checking the fluid levels, the belts and other things are simple to do yet people are constantly paying to have someone else do it for them. Knowing how to jump start a car or to change a headlight can save a lot of money - A new bulb might cost anywhere from $1 to $30 but to have a mechanic do it will be $50 to $100 and it only requires a proper screwdriver.

4. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I can change my own oil! I also know enough to tell someone with experience what my car is doing when it messes up. I think it is very important for a woman to get as much knowlegde about her car as possible. That way you don't get ripped off so easily!

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It would be a good idea that would save money and problems with bad mechanics. Nonetheless, some might not want to put in the time to learn. In that case, they don't mind looking for a mechanic with a good reputation and price. Anyhow, though, I think everyone should know how to change a tire, fill up the tires, and add oil and transmission fluid etc.. Don't you think?

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I learnt this lesson the hard way. When our car broke down in the middle of a road late one night with noone to help us.

I had to youtube how to change tyre and get on with the drive! So yeah learning basic stuffs for your car is a good idea and can save you cash too.