Leaving the kids with the neighbors

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Gelsemium • Aug 1, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My next door neighbor loves my kids and they love her too, so they sometimes ask me to go there for a while, something she also loves. I don't allow them to do it often, but even so sometimes it's good to have someone next door who can help.

Do you have a good relation with your neighbors? Would you leave your kids with them?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For elderly neighbors who you are on good terms with, I suppose it would be relatively safe to leave your kids with them unless they secretly are cultists. Otherwise if you have younger neighbors who don't have kids, it's not worth taking that risk.

Someone used to leave her 2-yr-old girl with me every week-day. So maybe your instincts should guide you on some of these things.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, I've been living there for over 15 years and we always had a good relation with my next door neighbor, the kids love her and she loves them them, I think they believe she is the third grandmother, can't get much better than that. I do know what you mean by following our instincts, but I do get good vibes from her.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you've been in the neighborhood for 15 years then I suppose you know your neighbors very well which is good:)

Another great advantage of having such neighbors [who love kids] is that in case of an emergency you can ask them to care of the kids while you dash off to work or some other place without the kids tagging along.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, that happens sometimes, not for long periods, but when something happens it's great to have someone next door that can help. For example, sometimes my wife is late from work and I have to leave, so I ask my neighbor to keep the kids. The thing is that when my wife returns home they kids don't want to go to the house with her haha, they prefer to be with the neighbor.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel if you know the person well it is okay to leave the kids there for a short period of time. I have always asked the kids undercover about what they did while at tjat persons house to get a feel for what went on and that they are safe while there.

7. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I personally wouldn't but I'm very particular about my baby. I haven't left her with anyone yet and don't plan to anytime soon. I would worry about her constantly and not be able to do anything aside from worry. I feel like she's been with me constantly so long now that it's just second nature for her to be there. But if you trust your neighbor 100% I don't see an issue with leaving your babies with her.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I am not talking about a baby catlover, that is a different situation, my kids are 4 and 7, so they are not babies anymore. Also, they haven't been with her for much time, the most one or two hours and they could leave to our place when they want, so they actually enjoy being there what is great.

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    We had good neighbors then when I was young. I remember being left in the neighbor's house when mom has something important to do. They too, our neighbor, sometimes left their children with us when they are going somewhere. This I really enjoyed since I get to play with them either way.

10. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    My younger sister and older brother are my neighbors and I sometimes leave my kids to them when they're still young. :)

I never tried leaving my kids to neighbors before. We do have long-time neighbors that were almost a relative to us but I guess I never had the need to leave my kids with them since my siblings were always there to help out with the kids. :D

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    In the last weeks my relation with my neighbor has gotten even better, the kids love to be there and it's pretty much like having a grandmother next door. If I am late from work to pick up the kids from school I can give her a call and she picks them up, so I am really glad she's there. :)

12. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I've always thought about this topic. When I was growing up, my parents didn't dare leave me at a neighbors house, but "took a chance" with my Grandma, and maybe that might have been a little bit over-cautious, but somehow I'm not sure.
    I definitely believe in really getting to know those around you and expressing a certain level of trust in them, so that a healthy bond is established between you and them, but your kids are a precious, irreplaceable entity that, as you know, you have to treasure with your entire life.
    In today's world, unfortunately (and perhaps even in ancient times), you just can't trust everyone (and sadly sometimes, even some relatives).
    I'd say, if you're completely sure about these neighbors, and you've established an unquestionable bond of trust in them, and in their ability to take complete and good care of your little loved ones, then it's okay for you to leave your kids there, say for the day, but then if you're looking to leave them overnight eventually, it's best for you to use the "day-visits" as a test of sorts, so that you quiz your kids a bit, asking them exactly how they felt at "Auntie's" or "Uncle's" house, whether they felt uncomfortable at any point, and it may be "cliche'd", but you can never go wrong with teaching your kids about what a "good touch" is, versus what a "bad touch" is, and that they should be totally honest about it with you.

Your kids are your one prize that you have the duty of molding and shaping so that they'll be fit for their future, so continue to treasure the privilege of having this responsibility!

13. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I leave my daughter with my neighbours because I've known them for years and they are like family. They talk to my parents more than I do, so its fine leaving her with them. Saying that my neighbours at the other side of me I wouldn't leave her with because they do nothing but party and aren't very reliable.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Last time I left them with her she was watching the soap opera in on room and they were in another room watching cartoons. They were really silent, what is unlikely from them and I asked, why were you so silent? They said, because we didn't want to annoy her lol, they just want to annoy us!!

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have kids yet (and I don't plan on having one) but when I was small, I don't remember being left to the neighbors because my mom was a stay-at-home mom, so she can watch over us anytime. But my cousin was frequently left to us because her mom had to work and he will be all alone in their house, so in my case, our house was the one being used to watch over home-alone kids.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, sometimes I do envy the societies where we can be stay at home moms or dads, meaning that the one that is working can support the whole family. Unfortunately that doesn't happen in my country, we have both to work. More, my parents and in-laws can't help that much, so it's pretty much us four alone. And the neighbor. :)

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think leaving the kids with your neighbors is a very good idea, unless they are your close relatives. I do not have any kid of my own, but still think it is very dangerous to do so. I would prefer to leave the kids only with my relatives, no matter how far they live and then I would have a better peace of mind. Neighbors are people whom you come to know about only after they start staying there, hence, know nothing about them. I would never blindly trust on my neighbors.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Believe me akiii, I am a caring parent and I would never leave my kids in danger or in dubious situations, but after 15 years living there I think I know the lady lol and the kids love her as well, they see them as a third grandmother what I find great and I just feel fortunate to have her there.