Lego vs Play Dough

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by lindbergh • Sep 23, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Toys that bring out the creativity of a child are the toys that are really great. Two of my favorite games when I was a kid were Lego and Play Dough. Both of them brought out my inner creativity because I was forced to make things out of my imagination. Both of them are great. However, now that I'm supposed to buy a gift for a child, which should I choose - Lego or Play Dough?

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

Depending on the childs age i'd say legos cause Play Dough can be a bit messy

3. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say both. Lego and Play Dough both bring out creativity in a child. Mine have always been more Lego fans though, I think they enjoy making things more with Lego, but we have all had such fun with Play Dough too :D

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are those the only things you're going with? There's lots you could choose from. Kids love to paint too. My son's room is constantly stocked up with canvas and paints (you can even get all that at the dollar store here). How about clays for molding instead? Get the kind you bake so they can keep their creations. Lots of ideas out there. Between the two though, I'd say lego. It lasts much longer and play dough is easy to make.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It may really depend on the individual child but between the two choices, I would also go with the Legos. They will last a lot longer than the Play Dough will. Legos have a variety of kits that you can choose from so you should be able to get something that the child has an interest in. They also come in different sizes so you can spend a little on them or a lot. I would recommend getting some kind of container or case to put the pieces in as well. The parents will appreciate that part of the gift!

6. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Ummm ... I believe that this election is a bit complicated. Like you, during my childhood I enjoyed these two toys. However, I think there is a specific age for each. Play Dough is great for kids from age +3, because they may come into contact with an elastic and colorful material, that develops and enhances their sensory skills. On the other hand, Lego has been creating miniature architects for decades. Just who once played with those little bricks, knows the true pleasure of putting up a wall or create a huge castle. :D

In the early stages it is mostly a process of handling the parts. The little kids love games of blocks and cubes to put one inside the other and stacking them. This is a research phase objects, learn to differentiate by size, by color and relate to each other. This last proposal is ideal for slightly bigger kids, but I think that the market offers are available for all ages, even the smallest of the house.

7. Steve.G

Steve.GNew Member

Threads:
    I will go with LEGO, which helps child to build more logic though and getting smart!

8. Wickerman

WickermanNew Member

Threads:
    I think Playdough is more appropriate for younger ages, while Lego can scale up.

For instance LEGO technics can be very complicated and more adequate even for a young adult.

Of course there are also LEGOS for younger children. If you go with LEGO make sure to check the age group that's specified for the box you're buying.

9. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like play doh would encourage my child to be more creative because with Lego they can already build something based on other designs but with play doh it encourages them to be more creative and grow much more.

10. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I would say Lego no doubt, but sure that also depends on the kids age. My kids love Lego, they can spend hours with it and I don't think that would happen with Play Dough. Play Dough seems pretty messy while with Lego they can express themselves and don't make a mess.

11. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:
    I would purchase toys over play dough any day. My 6 year has damaged my rugs with this stuff. I mean it is fun to play with but if it isn't dealt with or stored properly it can become a nuisance. I have had damaged done clothes and stuck in my dogs hair :-/ :)

12. yellowbird

yellowbirdMember

Threads:
    I agree with everyone who said it depends on the child's age. If they are younger, maybe ages 4-6 I'd go with play doh but older than that many kids are looking to be creative in construction type things, making towers and creatures and buildings, and legos might work better for them. :)

13. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends, but i would definitely would have to choose Legos because of how great and how much you can do with them. Play Dough is also a bit messy and after a few times of playing you won't be having a lot of it on your hands. The only problem is how expensive Legos tend to be.

14. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I never liked Lego or Play-Doh as a child but as an adult who works with children I love to play with both Lego and Play-Doh. I think Lego is great to build amazing models and big houses etc. but I find however much Lego there is there is never quite enough. With amazing creations it runs out quickly, so frustrating when you have nearly completed a model and run out of bricks. As for Play-Doh, it is great fun, messy which children love and it is brilliant to mould into animals or make pretend food, the possibilities are endless. It smells great too. For a gift, I would choose Lego as it will last longer than Play-Doh and is probably preferred by the parent. Play-Doh gets mixed up stuck on the carpet and makes a huge mess and ends up in the bin, at least Lego will be usable for years to come. Lego hurts when you stand on it though!

15. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    For me it has to be Lego all the way. You can do so much more with Lego its great fun it lasts longer. Definitely has more durability and its not nearly as messy. My friend was only saying the other day how she had just managed to get rid of the last bit of playdough her daughter had left asit had gone hard. Then her partner brought a pack of 70 tubs home she was not amused. :)

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree Play Dough is messy and I always hated it when the kids wanted to play with it. I played with my grandson building bridges and go carts and all kinds of things when they were younger, I miss that. I think I will go play some Lego's for me to play with and not let anyone else play with my Lego's.

17. kindredsoul

kindredsoulNew Member

Threads:
    My child is 3.5 and he loves Playdough. He puts the small Lego pieces in his mouth so that's I do not like Legos for him right now. Interestingly, even when my mom bought the larger size Lego pieces he still wasn't interested in them. I think it's because he is not at the conceptual stage yet, and he gets bored just piling up a few Legos. But with the Playdough he can easily roll the dough. He also finds it fun to smoosh the colors together. So, I would say if the child is my age then Playdough. I do not have much experience with Legos, yet.