Let's Talk About Creative Car Repairs...

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by MrsJones • Feb 15, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We've all heard that duct tape is a wonderful thing. Well it came in Handy for us a couple of days ago. The window to our Jeep decided to go down by itself...very slowly. No matter what we tried (pushing buttons, checking fuses, even taking it to AutoZone) it didn't close. It's snowing and cold outside and the wind had to be blowing at least 15 mph. So we found some clear plastic and of course the duct tape and taped it up as a temporary fix until we could get it checked out...cha ching.

This incident got me to thinking how creative can you or someone you know or may have seen people can be with temporary fixes for their vehicle.

Have any experiences to share?

2. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I usually have a small bungee cord in my road bag, there is nothing more annoying then having a clip go on your muffler. I had this happen once on a trip from NYC back home, it sure was easier then looking for some wire to get it back up. You can use it if a latch goes or should you get hit and need to re-affix a part of the vehicle temporarily.

The other thing that seems to be worth it's weight in gold is getting one of those hose sleeve and clamps from the auto store and having that ready if one of the radiator hoses decides to go. They have a few different kinds at the auto store. So much easier to get that clamp around the hose to stop a leak then trying even duct tape. You do have to find a garage, but you can get there without causing to much damage.

3. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I have used shoe polish to paint over nicked or sun damaged places on my car where the paint is not as bright as it once was. The glass on one of my tail-lights is broken on my car, so I'm searching for some creative ways to "fix" that too. Some kind of tape is going to do the trick.
    Duct tape fixes so many things. I'm glad you were able to use it to fix your Jeep window, especially since it was snowing.