Making Profit From Farming Insects?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by NinetyEighty1 • Oct 12, 2017.

1. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I know this question may sound weird to some but the idea of farming insects and small critters such as worms, bees, crickets and other small invertebrates sounds like a fun profitable hobby. Has anyone looked into or heard of such activities and either have experience on it or ways to profit from it on tight pockets?

2. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    The one that looks interesting is the beekeeping thing-but it probably takes a lot of your time and they say it can be frustrating. Also they say, do not do it for the money-which is kind of funny why somebody would pick this hobby for making money. They do say it's not that expensive though-and another fact is they don't get beyond the second year as far as making money goes. I really would like to try harvesting truffles though- and they have,kind of a give and take relationship with the roots of certain types of oak trees, which I found interesting. The trained dogs sniff them out in he winter time-before the trees feed on them though. I did see the movie Ullee's Gold and Peter Fonda plays a beekeeper which was interesting.

#2Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Insects may be a delicacy to some people, but I don't really eat them so I haven't though much about farming them to make money. :eek: My dad, however, liked to eat this this delicacy and he used to buy them from a relative. The relative on the other hand, doesn't do the farming but makes money on the side by being an agent between the buyer and the insect farmer. Farming insects means that you need space and the right equipment and environment to sustain them. If you don't have that, then perhaps you can try marketing insects live to eateries or even learning some recipes and selling cooked insects for an even bigger profit.

4. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the advice, I really I'm not that much of a cook and never really plan on making dishes with the insect myself, just do my best to breed them and take care of them to put them out there for an eager audience. Would you recommend any specific places to sell insects and what type of insects are more ideal?

5. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Beekeeping is activity that has the potential to provide a great form of livelyhood. There is always a demand for honey and it's price has been gradually increasing in recent times. However, beekeeping is not solely about honey production. In addition to honey, there are a number of lucrative value added production that may be derived from the activity. The money making potential is enormous but you will have to get the requisite training and best practices information to enable you to be successful at this venture.

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I think before you even get to be a beekeper you need to invest the materials needed and also the suit that those beekeepers wear, plus you need to train too on what to do and how to handle those bees, and I'm not sure if that would be a lucrative business. I won't be interested in that, I would rather look for other ways to earn money.