Making Use Of Leftover Bread In A More Delicious Way

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Jan 15, 2018.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the olden days, the only way to make use of leftover bread is by making it into pudding. But now we have pizza bread where the leftover bread serves as crust of a homemade pizza. Another way of recycling leftover bread is in making a toasted sandwich where you put the bacon or spam and heat it in the oven toaster. You can put mayonnaise and lettuce before eating. Leftover bread can live for longer if you place it in the vegetable section of the refrigerator.

2. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I never knew leftover bread could stay longer but I'm glad you mentioned how. No one at my home likes bread nowadays but my mum keeps buying another one. So what I do is toast the bread to make it delicious or just toast it with eggs. It helps us make sure the bread ends and not stay for days and spoil.

3. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I usually make a sandwich or a toast with the leftover bread. But sometimes, all that is remaining is the end parts of the bread which are more thicker with slightly harder crust on the outside so making sandwich is not an option. At such times, I just cut the bread into square pieces, fry them and store in an airtight jars which I then use to garnish soups.

4. BMT1014

BMT1014Member

Threads:
    Hi Alexandoy,
    I agree with you. That's what I do to my leftover loaf bread. I flatted it using the rolling pin to make it thin and put some pizza sauce and our choice of toppings and cook it in the oven toaster. Sometimes I toast the bread, slice it a small square and put it in my caesar salad. My other way of recycling my leftover bread is to toast it and crushed it and served as my bread crumbs that I mixed in my "Imbutido Recipe" a Filipino Recipe. I used it when I am frying fish sticks as my breading mix.

5. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I thought I had written a post on this. I use left over for making many snacks and one of them is what we call dahi wada You just break the bread intop ieces soak it in water, squeeze out the water and to the bread paste add chopped onions, green chillies, and salt. Make balls, deep fry them and soak them in curds to which a dash of sugar is added. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and chilli powder.

Attached Files:

6. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I think I missed your post related to leftovers, but I really like the idea of making dahiwadas from leftover bread. I usually make them from scratch, that is soaking dal, then grinding it etc. etc. as the taste is too good and delicious. But I am going to try out wadas from leftover bread. It is so easy and so free from all those hassles of grinding.

7. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Generally speaking, I never throw away left over food. When there is leftover rice, I fry it and make friend rice (I add vegetables and meat to give it a better taste). I also use leftover breads to make a new dish. I tear the breads and mix with vegetables batter and meat and then make balls and fry on oil.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It the bread isn't molded or spoiled in any way...I like to use old bread for french toast. Whip up 1 egg with milk or cream, add cinnamon & nutmeg to taste with sugar or Truvia or Stevia to taste soak the bread in it and fry it up like pancakes till slightly golden, is the way I like it. Butter it up and add the right amount of sugar free maple syrup, mmm mmm good! You add milk or cream to the amount of bread you got to soak in your egg batter. The dry & old bread will soak it right up, quickly so the first won't be as soaked as your last for the last one got to take in all the batter so you don't wast it. You can add fresh fruit, canned or thawed frozen fruits to your french toast for an extra good meal. You can make this as a snack or any meal. Old bread at thrift stores, like our

is cheaper so I get a loaf of 2 freeze it to make it last. The older breads are always at a bargain price...they got Senior Citizen prices too for us Seniors! :)

9. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Since we have 2 dogs at home, they get to eat the leftover bread, rice, and any food that we have. I also feed them to my cats. Your recipe seems interesting though.

10. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    When it comes to using leftover bread, I think it would be best to simply use it as a sandwich. Either to make a ham sandwich or to wrap it around sausage and have a little snack. I usually don't like wasting because in a way, to me its like wasting money. My favorite dish to make with leftover bread is grilled cheese.

11. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    That is the real dahi wada (lol) I make that too but making it using left over bread I thought was innovative It tastes delicious and quick too. You are right about how easy it is to make dahiwada from bread. Glad you want to try. Do get back here with your results (lol)

12. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Another quick snack I make from leftover bread is as follows: Cut bread into small, even, square pieces. Chop an onion or two in oil until it turns soft and begins to brown, add a little turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida and then add bread pieces and saute the mixture until the bread pieces are crisp. Add salt, a little chilly powder, a pinch of sugar and sprinkle with lemon juice. Garnish with roasted peanuts and fresh coriander.

13. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    Those are really great ideas for making use of leftover bread. I was reading an article on a site which teaches people how to cook only once a month and freeze all your meals, and I think it's a great idea that helps you to save a lot of food from going to waste. When you cook everyday there are always going to be a lot of leftovers and a lot of wastage, but doing it once a week or even twice a month would be very economical.

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I am not the better cook there is, far from it, but I don't waste bread or food in general either. So, in what bread is concerned, I have a toaster haha, and I toast old bread often enough. Surprisingly, or not, toasted bread is many times more tasty than when it's fresh. :)

15. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    You can spread grated cheese over it and sprinkle oregano and chilly flakes to make the toast more interesting! That is another way I have found of using up stale bread.

16. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Mmm, thanks for the tip @nangk08@nangk08, that actually seems pretty good! Cheese always is a good mix with bread and the toaster, so often enough I do toast my bread with cheese and ham, some butter on top, guess what, it's delicious!

17. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds delicious, especially the toasted sandwich. I like to make use of the old bread by dipping/soaking it into eggs mixed in the bowl and frying it. Not sure if the meal has an actual name, but I love it ( and I don't like eggs otherwise ).
    Anyway it is definitely a good way to save money.

18. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I like this idea! I like to make fried rice with the leftover rice too., and sometimes I purpose cook more to leave the rice overnight. The fried vegetable and meat ball sounds good. I have not tried that before. I usually just fry or toast the leftover bread, or fry with eggs sometimes.

Thank you for sharing so many good ideas here. Now I know what I can do with the leftover bread. We are eating bread a lot at home.

19. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    What I normally do with my left over bread is keep in the fridge with the intention of eating them again at a later time. The important thing to me so long its not expired yet. I am knowledgeable in the making of Pizas nor toasted Sandwich. If I know how to make those I'll gladly use my left over bread for them sometimes.