Meat Sawdust for Pets?

Discussion in Pets started by chiofthenorns • Oct 10, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I read an article the other day about meat sawdust as alternative food for pets. Sawdust is basically the tiny pieces of meat that gets stuck on the slicer. They are clean, but they won't be sold to humans anymore for their consumption. I tried buying at the grocery store yesterday, and it was $1 per kilo. I boiled it, and my cats tolerated it. They didn't finish everything though. On the other hand, our dogs loved it.

Have you tried this before?

2. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of such a thing, but if your animals were fine with it then it sounds like a great idea! When I first saw the topic for your post in the forum I thought you meant wood pieces when I read Sawdust and was very concerned. I'm glad to hear that's not the case!

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    My nephew who used to work in a supermarket told me about meat sawdust. They're ground meat that's left on the band saw after the cutting and grinding process and sold cheaply below 1 dollar per kilo. People buy and cook them as food for their dogs. I once bought a kilo for my pets and cooked it with some seasoning. They liked it but I never had the chance to buy a pack again as it's always sold out quite early. Serving pets sawdust meat is just a way to give variety to their diet. There are cheaper ways to save on pet's food like mixing stew with rice.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don’t think we have that meat sawdust here because over here, almost anything in meat is eaten whether it is scraps or not. But I have a friend who has several dogs. He feeds them scraps simply because he couldn’t afford dog food. The usual feeding involves rice of the cheap variety that he cooks together with meat bones. Those meat bones can be bought for coins and sometimes the butcher would even give it for free. But when those bones are cooked, boiled or cooked with rice, the protein are extracted which the dogs love. That’s a neat trick of my friend in giving nutrients to his dogs.