Mixing Wet And Dry Pet Food

Discussion in Pets started by Jason76 • Jul 12, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Some people say it fills up animals more, hence saving money. Nonetheless, though, can we really be sure that a bag of dry and some wet is actually a bargain? I'd say it is, assuming your economically mixing the food. However, though, we have to also realize that pet food brands differ by price. For instance, Gravy Train and generic brands seem to be the cheapest dog food.

2. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    My two dogs get a dry complete food because I can then be sure that they are getting all the nutrients they need. My puppy Carlos insists on having it mixed with a little wet food so I buy both.

That is their main meals, but they also get other food. If my own food has been cooked without salt and spices then I give them my scraps. They get 3 eggs a week each and lots of apples and carrots as treats.

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I buy wet and dry for my dogs. The dry is important for their teeth and the wet is just me spoiling them because I want to make their means a little tastier.

I weight out the dry food so they don't get fat (one of mine is a real foodie!) and then I put something on the top like a sardine or a little chicken . I also give mine carrots although my little Jack Russell just takes them down the garden and buries them!

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    It is a good bargain and plus your keeping your dogs happy and of course healthy that way. So why not mix both I bet they don't mind and you save money doing so. All owners must do it in moderation though so their dogs may be getting all their nutrients so maybe 70% dry and 30% wet just a bit for the dogs satisfaction.

5. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    From the view point of a cat owner, this is actually a very smart move. Cats have dental needs that can only realistically be solved by eating dry food. It serves as an abrasive to break loose tartar build up so they don't end up with cavities and painful absesses. The trouble is that cats also primarily get their water from their food. If you're feeding them dry food you're essentially forcing them to rely on a drinking behavior that is not natural to them, leading to chronic dehydration and all the health problems that can come along with that. The best solution to this issue is to mix wet and dry food before each feeding so they get their moisture and their crunchy tooth cleaning. They seem to enjoy it more, too!

6. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it is not the brand that counts. I see it as a medicine. There are brands names that will claim that they are the best because they are the first one to discover the breakthrough. But at the end of the day, medicines of the same generic name will still have more sales because it is affordable by most people.

In dog food, as long as the dog is eating and satisfied. There is no need to worry. As long as they have something on their plate, they're always thankful. Even if that is the cheapest dog food available in the market.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I only feed my dog dry dog food. I don't buy wet food at all. She has never had a problem with this and she gets her fill. I will sometimes feed her scraps depending on what we have for dinner. I also give her carrots to eat as a snack sometimes. I buy Purina instead of cheap dog food. I don't know as the cheap food has the same nutritional value in it. I have even thought about changing to the grain free kind of food as well, but just haven't gotten around to doing that.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure if it fills them up more, but it might be a good way as a sort of placebo thing, but anything more than that I would have to see some more proof. I like the thought though, and anything that can save a buck is worth it, especially wtih pet food which can add up quick as well know.