Motorcycles, Public Transport, And Gas Savings

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Jason76 • Dec 22, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In another thread, I commented on the possible danger of motorcycles, but for argument's sake, let's assume they are safe. In this case, is it cheaper to have one than a car or truck? What might be some arguments saying that it would be more expensive? As for the ones saying it is cheaper, some of the reasons would be obvious like the fact a smaller engine uses less fuel.

Now let's look at public transport. What would be some advantages and disadvantages money-wise? Well, obviously the advantage would be in the fact that the fare is normally less than what you'd pay at the gasoline pump.

2. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    As you already said public transport is the cheapest of these as the fare is usually low. But what about remote places where there are no infrastructure facilities. Then I think having a motorcycle is the next best thing we can have. Riding a normal bicycle would not be viable for long distances.

Motorcycle can take us at places where a four wheeler can't reach. In my experience it saves more than 500% on fuel when compared to my car. I think motorcycle is very comfortable if weather is pleasant.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In lieu of the dangerous motorcyle is the e-tricycle. It is actually a motor bike with 3 wheels and run by electricity. A plus factor in the e-tricycle is there’s no need to register with the land transportation office and no license required to drive. However, it is obviously for short distance travel only. The e-tricycle can carry the driver and 1 passenger plus some baggage. It runs at a maximum speed of 50 kilometers per hour according to the blurb in the flyer. Compared to a motorcycle, that e-tricycle has many advantages especially the consumption of fuel.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, to compare a motorcycle to other transport vehicle may have a vast of difference especially to a public transport. Acquisition cost, motorcycle is cheaper than the vehicle or car. Fuel wise, motorcycle consumes little gas than that of a car. As to its safety, motorcycle is prone to accident than the car. As to passenger, motorcycle carries two to three riders than that of the car.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest public transport is the cheapest way of commuting in our country but with kind of population we have it is not possible to reach on time to work if totally dependent on them so we the middle class people depend upon two wheeler which is slightly costly but is a guarantee that we shall reach to our work place in time despite all the traffic and jams. Yes we have all kind of two wheeler available here which cost in a range of $700 to $5000 or more. But a normal one costs almost $800-900 which is good and can give you up to 70km/liter

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    If I really needed to I am glad that there are opportunities out there limit the gas spending. I am just kind of forced to used a car for my work, so I cannot really benefit from any of them there.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many factors are at play here so I cannot say for sure if it's cheaper or more costly. If your income is high, you're a standard-oriented person, or you have low reflexes, a car would be ideal. Since you can certainly afford it, buy it to be on the safe side. If however your financial capacity is a problem or you prefer living a rock-and-roll lifestyle, a motorcycle would be great and less costly to maintain.

8. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    From the point of saving on fuel, motorcycle is better than car. Public transport is better than motorcycle and cycle is better than anything else. But our needs and situations are different. When with kids, I avoid a two wheeler. When I'm in rush, avoid a public transport.
    Vehicles are for our convenience and each one has its own benefits.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you but in order to save time and reach to my work place almost 10 km away from my home I cannot afford to ride a bike to my work. I mostly use motorbike which saves from traffic hazards in peak hour rush to and from my work as well saves lots of money (my bike gives 70 km/liter compared to my car 18 km/lit). But in this case time is more important because a ride by car takes 30-40 minutes but motorbike takes 15 minutes only.

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    When I used to own a car I found it more beneficial than other means of transportation as it saved time and it's most comfortable. Yes, a motorcycle does safe more money and time as well but the fact that I can't be sitting comportably on it really takes the fun out of it, for me that is. Now if I need to get any where including work I have to take the bus which saves me so much money but I do have to get out of the house 2 hours ealier but now the more I safe the better since my economic situation is not good, the other factors don't really matter.

#10Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  11. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    Uber and Lyft have been the cheaper option, to date. That is, unless you can get a shared public transportation one-way ride and just ride it all the way through to your final stop, without having to make any transfers whatsoever. I did this once from the airport in my home city....

12. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    We live in a town of a 150 people and the closes bigger town is about 25-30 minute (20 miles) away, so we usually have to drive everywhere my husbands job is 45 minutes (50 miles) away, and we have been trying to save for a motorcycle for him, we have an efficient car but with the cost of the toll road (which is what he usually takes to work), it cost 4 dollars a day to take...so being able to save some gas here and there would be nice.
    i work from home so I am not having to use gas, when we did live in a town that had public transportation I would take it sometimes or just walk, I found public transportation to be very cheap.