Motvating Yourself To Keep Saving

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by Denis Hard • Jul 13, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For most people saving isn't easy but it's not because they don't earn enough. Many people don't save much because lack that motivation to keep saving. Instant gratification is what's on their mind. They just got to buy everything they want instantly no matter what it costs.

So what about changing how one looks at saving? Change the perspective and saving could be a lot easier. Try to look at saving as paying yourself. The money you save will tide you over the rainy days when they eventually do come.

Each time you earn some money pay yourself a little bit of that cash first. It could 1%, 5%, 10%, it doesn't matter how much it is. Place it in your savings account and I'm certain you'll look forward to your next payday. Whatever little amount you save, it eventually does add up and you'll find that it will get easier to save more money once you get used to "paying yourself first."

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Changing your perspective is certainly an important way of looking at the world. One of the problems generally is that "life happens" and we don't have boundaries in place that would make saving a priority rather than an option. Whatever strategy we apply is really down to our individual risk tolerance and priorities. But if you can put in place strategies that make it easier to make good decisions (e.g. have a direct debit or autopay structure that automatically takes money out of your account and directs it to a savings account) then it's a lot easier to make progress.

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always like to have photos up for what I am saving for. For example, at the moment I am trying to buy a house, so I have photos of a few of the houses that I have found displayed around the area of my desk. It can certainly keep me going when it feels as though I have too much to do and no motivation with which to get it done - so it is something that is definitely worth it for me. It might work for you, too, so it is more than worth giving it a go!

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's true. The thing about saving money is that it tends to fluctuate. Sometimes you're on a roll. During other times, you're itching to buy anything that strikes your fancy until you end up in a slump. So aside from motivation, it's also good to have discipline. When you have both, you'll be able to restrain yourself from buying those that you need and save for your future.

5. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, sometimes it can be really hard to save when there's so many things you want to do and buy in the world but I really do agree with the fact that if you save a little bit every time, that money really will add up and when you are in an economic crisis, you'll still have a chance at least to bounce back. Always having emergency funds is very important because you never know what may happen in a world where unexpected situations are just so common.

6. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Changing the perspective is a good thing and it should be done to bring some change in ourselves to stress the importance of saving money for the future. I have just started to save money after a big life lesson which has left a scar in me, making me regret why I haven't saved money in the past when I had. So, please save money. You will never know when a situation arises.

7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    In some cases, it's hard to save money not because there are a lot of things that you wish to buy right away but simply because you don't have more left to save. Like your earnings are not more than enough to support your daily necessities what more to save it? But since saving is really important for the most of us, what I do is that I already cut a certain percentage on our earnings and then we spend after we save, not the other way around. That way, it's easier for us to manage our finances since our savings is already separated from our monthly budget.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't need a motivation for saving! In fact, I have been saving right from the time I started earning money if you do not take the small amount I had already in my bank during my college days from my pocket money. As a matter of rule I save at least 30% of all my earnings in different forms and letting it grow for good. I think when I will stop working finally on regular basis (although I am not sure if I will ever do that totally) I will have enough to continue living in my present life style.

9. ACEP

ACEPMember

Threads:
    It is very important to motivate yourself in saving, it'll help you for future emergency.

10. akshaychouhan785

akshaychouhan785Member

Threads:
    Yeah at times it becomes so important to cut on your expenditures to fill the tummy of your piggy bank. But it becomes more of a challange when you are living a hectic life with no time to wait for happiness to come to your couch, you fall In this trap of instant gratification where you develop a habit of spending a good amount of money on unnecessary things also.

So in my opinion try to indulge some good habits of yoga, meet up with your friends in free time or enjoy a movie or two and you will see that you can be much happier doing things which do not cost you much.