Netflix or Hulu?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by messlisa • May 7, 2013.

1. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    If it's not too much of a money strain, I'd get both if you could! That way, you pretty cover all your basis of tv watching while still paying much less than you would for something like cable or sattelite. I personally have Amazon Prime and Netflix and I couldn't be happier having both at my disposal. The only thing I miss out on is sports, which I can just find online anyway

2. Spowys

SpowysMember

Threads:
    It all really depends on what you want. Netflix is good for specific TV shows, movies, and of course Netflix originals like Orange is the New Black and House of Cards. Hulu is much better for watching TV shows that are currently on TV or recently were. If you're genuinely trying to replace a TV for TV shows, I would probably pick Huku.

But overall I'd say I prefer Netflix, there's just more content.

3. cedrickismw

cedrickismwMember

Threads:
    I agree, at one time I had both along with trial subscriptions to Amazon Prime and Crunchyroll. It was great because there was always something to watch regardless. Unfortunately Comcast complained about the data usage and I was forced to cancel. I still use Amazon Prime sometimes to buy an episode here or there however.

4. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I use both services, Hulu for TV and Netflix for Movies. I haven't really done many tests as to whether it is worth the cost though, I think that the comments on this thread have made e want to do that. Most of my time is spent on Netflix or Amazon.

5. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I have Netflix and Hulu at home. Of the two I prefer Hulu. I like Hulu because it has the latest episodes of some of my favorite TV shows. Netflix is okay, but a lot of the television shows are episodes I've already seen. I do like Netflix for the movies. Sometimes I can find a good movie to watch or I like watching some of my favorite movies again.

6. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I like both but for different reasons. I like netflix for the price, the selection(tv shows and movies) and over all quality. Not to mention I love Orange is the New Black and The Killing. Hulu Plus on the other hand is awesome during the fall for shows like Grey's Anatomy, New Girl, Scandal and talk shows late night and daytime simply because you get new shows the day after they air on tv. I also like the Hulu original Deadbeat. So I personally use both but if it came down to it I would choose Netflix over Hulu Plus anyday.

7. donding

dondingNew Member

Threads:
    I find Netflix to be a far superior competitor to Hulu. The problem with Hulu is that the networks want to treat it like just another cable channel. So they start stuffing more and more ads, and at the same time... making us pay for the privilege of having to watch those ads. And then they remove shows after a certain number of days after airing them, just to make sure their service is always annoying. Netflix, on the other hand, is cheaper and also has a much wider selection of content to chose from. So yeah, I prefer Netflix.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have both, but I prefer Netflix over Hulu Plus. Has Netflix raised its prices? Netflix is only 4 cents more than Hulu Plus. Hulu has current TV shows. That's the biggest difference for me. It also has lots of TV commercials. Hulu also creates its own shows, but nothing compared to Orange is the New Black and House of Cards.

Just remembered: Hulu has more sci-fi shows than Netflix. That's probably not a big deal to most people, but I love sci-fi. I really wish Netflix would beef up that area.

9. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    Hulu since now Netflix limits it's prices to only one device at a time. I can sign on to Hulu from wherever. Plus Netflix rarely has any of the new episodes up anywhere close to when Hulu does. I guess some people will always be loyal to NF but their recent change of pricing and allowing multiple devices has turned me away.

10. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    I think that these two options are so different that you're better off just having them both versus having a cable plan. You pay 8 bucks for Netflix streaming and another 10 for Hulu? I'm not sure what Hulu's price is anymore, I just know that its pretty reasonable. So that's what, 18 bucks versus a steady 90 for a cable package if you have no rebates or anything going on. Just having them both with some Amazon is a good thing. I like sports and a couple of shows that's not on Hulu so it become s alittle bit harder and I have to be a little bit more creative at times. Anyway. They both serve their purpose and are good for you.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Netflix me is a much better than Hulu because:

a) I like movies and Netflix has lots of movie categories to choose from = more movies to watch.
    b) There are some movies which I'll find on Netflix that I won't get elsewhere.
    c) They've got parental control. So should kids want to watch something on Netflix you're sure it will be "safe."

That's why Netflix is better than Hulu [for me].

12. Mochaisis

MochaisisNew Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree with you. Netflix has so much more quality content to offer than Hulu. Even when I signed up for Hulu plus, I noticed that the TV episodes I was trying to watch were very old, by at least 2 or 3 weeks. I also love that Netflix has quality original content, and quite a bit of it. Netflix is a favorite for most everyone I know, simply because you can choose a series and binge watch it without annoying commercials every 15 seconds. If I'm paying for a service, remove the commercials!

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watch Hulu because Hulu and Crackle have a lot of completely free programming while Hulu Plus and Netflix both cost money. I only watch completely free services because I'm on a budget.
    No one has mentioned the streaming TV that you get with Amazon Prime. Is it that bad that no one uses it?

14. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have had Netflix for several years now and watch it every day. I tried Hulu+ and it was hard to use their program-finding feature, especially compared to Netflix. I did see that Hulu+ has more of the newer TV shows on than Netflix, but I hardly ever watch TV programs, so this was not of any benefit to me.
    I like to watch movies, and Hulu+ has less movies than Netflix. Both of them cost about $8 a month, so even if you had both of them, it would not be expensive.

15. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeRMember

Threads:
    I would only recommend Hulu Plus if you absolutely need new episodes of recent TV shows and are not currently subscribed to a cable service that would usually offer episodes the day after, on demand. Such as Xfinity or AT&T's Uverse.

I would recommend Netflix and I would 100% reccommend using a service such as unblock.us or Hola (FREE!) in order to access the Canadian and Mexican Netflix which usually have loads of better movies and shows then what you would find in the American Netflix. Yes, if you are paying for a Netflix account you can easily do this, and it's completely legal.

16. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I personally like Netflix better than Hulu. I have been using Netflix for about two years now and I absolutely love it. I tried Hulu, but some of the shows that I wanted to watch was not available, but it was on Netflix. Netflix is more up to date with their movies and shows. With Netflix, almost everything that I want to watch is on there and not hard to find.

17. iam911

iam911Member

Threads:
    I prefer having Netflix over Hulu. Hulu has some good shows and is pretty up to date on plenty of shows, if you have Hulu Plus. If you use the free version of Hulu, which is still pretty good, but you only get to watch the most current season. The thing that I don't like about Hulu is that you have to watch commercials even if you have Hulu Plus. I feel like if I'm paying for your service. I should not have to watch ads to use your service. I like Netflix because they don't have ads. Also, they have great Netflix original series, like Orange is the New Black and House Of Cards. I would definitely recommend Netflix.

18. Kteabc

KteabcNew Member

Threads:
    That's a tough choice for me. Netflix has tons of great movies, the suggestions are spot on, and their signature series are pretty good (OITNB)! But Hulu has majority of the current tv shows plus some movies. Some days I prefer movies, some days I prefer shows. I still prefer cable as majority of the shows I love aren't offered anywhere online.

19. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I've been a Hulu fan ever since I originally discovered it. Netflix is wonderful, and so convienant, but I really like the Hulu variety of movies and television more. However, now that Netflix is going to come out with the Zelda live action series, paying for both might be worth it! Actually, if Netflix has improved their watch list so that its more to my liking, I may even let Hulu go.

20. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    My only complaint with Netflix is the fact that Hulu has a much better selection in some areas that Netflix does not have. All of the Viacom shows that were once on Netflix are not there, and there are plenty of cult classic movies that are not on Netflix.