Not Irish So...

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by DancingLady • Mar 14, 2015.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Does St Patrick's day matter to you if you aren't Irish? I know a lot of people to out for drinks, but I don't drink alcohol, so there's not really anything for me to do.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have lots of Irish friends and my Facebook was full of Irish (celtic astrology) astrology signs and tables of how to make up your leprechaun name. Some think it's an excuse for a party, but Irish everywhere celebrate their roots and their survival. Wherever you go there is an Irish bar and I find some strange comfort in that.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too. I'm pure Asian and St. Patrick's is definitely an important holiday here. The malls don't even bother to hold sales or promos. It's basically just any other day where I'm currently from. No leprechauns or four-leaf clovers. My foreign clients seem to be enthusiastic about this holiday, though, and they're not even Irish.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I am part Irish, but it does not really feel like a holiday for me to celebrate. It is much more fun if you are a young person looking for a party. Now that I am older and have kids, it's more fun just to do clover crafts with them and such. I do not even really bother with the Irish dinner anymore.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    It's really just celebrated by pubs where I live. Not that I particularly mind though, it's a great excuse to have some drinks with friends just like Oktoberfest.

6. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    It just seems like an excuse for people to have a drink. Here in the UK it gets celebrated more by English people than what st Georges day does which I've never understood. I'd you are Irish or at least part Irish then fair enough but you get a lot of people that just jump on the band wagon, for the same of getting drunk.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know exactly what you mean! People go crazy for St. Patrick's day here. We never seem to celebrate St. George's Day though and risk accusations of racism if we dare to even display the St. George cross flag!

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I live, which is in the UK, few people know the meaning behind Saint Patrick's Day. Most just know that it has something to do with the Irish, and that a lot of drinking - well more than usual for the UK - is looked upon as normal, around such a time. I never celebrate it.

9. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I think a survey was done a few years ago and it was like 23% knew when st Georges day was, and shockingly, although I dont know if this says it all about modern society, 6% sidntbknow we had a patron saint and 3% had never even heard of st George.
    You've got to love england sometimes haven't you!