Nothing is a dollar at the Dollar store!

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by SavvyGirl2014 • Jun 4, 2014.

1. Aprax

ApraxMember

Threads:
    I've noticed this too. I think it's because the Dollar Store type places aren't trying to always be cheap, sometimes they just have stuff that's a dollar. Whereas Walmart and Walgreens can afford to compete.

2. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    yes I agree. There is a dollar giant near my house in Vancouver, Canada. Everything used to be one dollar, then they raised it to $1.25. I heard the owner say he cannot buy things cheap enough anymore to keep the store at one dollar. They do still charge a dollar for some food items. So if this is the case, they should change the name to something else. Because the true dollars stores were only one dollar. I have seen some stores called the $1, $2 and $3 store. I think this is a better name and sending out a false message. When you go into a dollar store you expect to pay just one dollar. They should change the outside signage at least.

3. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe they should call it "Dollar+ stores"? I noticed that there was a huge increase in dollar store prices by me as well, but you know what, its still pretty cheap compared to other stores. Where else would I be able to get a few packs of lead for my lead pencil, for like $1.50? Actually my most recent find has increased my attitude towards them. I found a 12 pack assortment of acrylic paints from italy! And they're actually really good quality :D Best $3 I've ever spent :')

4. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Dollar General is a rip-off in my opinion. Their prices are usually no lower than what you would find in your everyday Wal-mart. I do go to Dollar General for greeting cards because they are usually 2/$1.

As far as dollar stores go, I prefer Dollar Tree because everything truly is one dollar. They even have some good, quality brands in there that just come in smaller packages. When I was single I shopped there a lot because their products are packaged so that there is just enough for one person and I did not need any more than that.

5. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    When the Dollar General first came to town, back when I lived in Arkansas, everything was either $1-$5. Now there are some things near $50. I think since it has gotten popular, and gotten more stock, they need to make more of a profit to keep the store open. However, most of it is still cheaper there than if I went to Walmart or Target, so I can't really complain. You should look for a Dollar Tree, everything really is a dollar or less there.

6. Peter Randrup

Peter RandrupNew Member

Threads:
    I'm sure many of us could understand some of the items rising above a dollar. Some stores you accepted that things were $1 or $2 and occasionally $3. But last week on the search for some $1 each tall water glasses (which i used to see in there all the time) revealed that $2.50 - $3.50 ea was the norm. Some packs $14.00 or more for 4 only. I took a quick look at the shelves and realized the prices were way over a dollar. Items were $5- $6-$8-$10 etc. A kettle was $46.00, Our store used to sell 125g bags of no name pretzels, chips and combined taco chip/pretzel/cheezies for $1.00-$1.25 ea. They were great because they were half the size of the 250gr bags and cheap...twice as big as a little bag. And they sold bags of Planters peanut s at about half the normal price. .Now the little bags are gone, the new large bags are name brands and sold at a price you would pay anywhere else. The $3 bags of cashews are now $6 or more. I wanted loose leaf paper the other day and it was $4.50 for 150 sheets! The actually cost less in the drugstore next door.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never thought of Family Dollar and Dollar General as "dollar" stores. They are supposed to be discount stores where you are supposed to find items for cheaper than regular retail stores. Although, it is not always the case. Some things you can find cheaper, you just have to be price conscious to find the good deals. In the last couple of years, we have gotten a 5 Below store and it has some really nice things for $5 and less. I just recently bought my kids some headphones for $5 and they work really well.

8. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    It's just their way of attracting customers and unaware people, but you have to agree that their prices are very low and they have good deals.

9. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't find it too frustrating for me. I know how things are nowadays and prices can get pretty high when going to some stores. However, as long as it is not over $4 at the dollar stores, I am good. Even if they are not exactly one dollar, they are still cheap enough to buy.

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    In the UK we have Pound Shops as our currency is different but it's the same kind of thing.

What I notice is that although the majority of the goods are £1 there are products that you can buy cheaper in other shops. I guess they have to make a profit some way.

Regardless of what they charge they do draw the crowds in and many people shop there in order to save money. I love to browse the store and get a bargain, some of it is poor quality and doesn't last long but when you pay so little for it you can't complain.

11. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It`s simpl, if the scenario has been changed so that the dollar claim has become somewhat obsolete, then I believe that there should be probably a change in the name structure. Consider if somone would be looking for some very low cost deals, they would be diverting their attention to these sites but they could probably end up being dissatisfied because what they might see could run contrary to their expectation.

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, a business has got to make some profit, right? So it's just natural for them to increase their prices. I would not buy from such stores, especially if the other more big and popular stores are offering lower prices.