Obama Care

Discussion in Life & Health Insurance started by Rosyrain • Feb 7, 2017.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Obama Care is going to go away in some fashion from what I have heard on the news. I am really stressed out over what Trump is going to do with it. It has actually been a little cheaper for me to get coverage for myself and kids with the current system. I understand that the current system is flawed and needs some work, but I am concerned about what is to come. How has Obama Care been for you and what would you like to see changed?

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I'm guessing he's going to trash the whole thing, mostly due to the fact his administration is extremely right-wing. Anyhow, I don't think Obama was able to make it work due to the fact Republicans controlled congress during much of his term. Note, this whole thing makes me wonder if the British approach to government, where the prime minister must be of the political party with a majority, is the better way.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am so seriously HAPPY that they will replace what was (laughingly) called The Affordable Care Act. It might have been beneficial to some people; but many more people lost the coverage that they already had, or even could not use the same doctor that they had been seeing.
    All of my co-pays for my heart medications almost doubled once they put Obamacare into place, and have continued to increase in price each year.
    Many people who used to have insurance could not afford the high coverage cost of Obamacare, and now have no health insurance at all.
    It looks to my like President Trump is going to be speaking with officials in the health industry very soon, and hopefully, that will be the start of a new and better health coverage for Americans.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard a lot about people spending a lot more on Healthcare and medications since Obama Care went into effect. It is sad that people who need Healthcare the most are the ones who are suffering under the current system. I hope that Trump really can put something together that will help people in America. It is even more crazy that they penalize people by charging them hundreds of dollars at the end of the year if they are not covered by insurance. I am curiously waiting to see what becomes of the future of American healthcare.

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I can't seem to understand the main motive behind wanting to scrap the health care policy. I don't get it why won't the new government continue with the health policy since many are already benefiting rather than stop it. Isn't this supposed to be a continuous process. Well, I feel for the millions who are going to be affected if the Obama care policy is finally stopped.

6. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    @tonyb@tonyb No one is going to be affected in a negative way by the termination of Obamacare, and it is something that most people are very excited about. The federal government should not be able to force people into having any particular insurance plan, and they definitely should not be fining people who can't afford to have insurance !
    People who are low-income are already assisted in getting insurance, and have been for a long time, by the Medicaid program, so nothing in Obamacare made insurance coverage any better for them, and even these people have to pay more for their medication than they did before Obamacare. But the people who have suffered the most is the working Americans who have had the insurance rate skyrocket to an unaffordable level, and then lost their insurance coverage altogether because they could not pay for the premiums.
    Even people who were able to afford the sky-high people have suffered because they lost the plans that they did have and also the doctors they were used to seeing; so overall, the ACA has been a total disaster for the American people.

#6Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady I buy SwansonVitamins.com and they sent me free Rx discount card. I found one online, but don't know about them for I've not used them, but there are Rx discount cards to help pay for meds:

. Good luck and I hope you find a Rx discount card to help you. I found an Rx discount card in last year's I believe it was Sept. WebMD magazine at my doctor's office and asked if I can have one. ;) You're welcome in advance.

#7Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Something in me thinks that we will all look and kind of miss this one Just reading about what is coming out now is pretty depressing, and I do not really know enough to be sure but I have lost a little bit of hope lately.

9. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    I don't know what you have been reading that is depressing about the termination of the ACA/Obamacare ; so maybe you could explain that exactly it was that looked so bad that you have lost hope.
    What i have been seeing is that people are horrified by the amount of penalty they have to pay because they could not afford to buy the Obamacare insurance; so now they are also losing most of their income tax return as well, due to the penalty. I can see why that part would be depressing to just about anyone; but what is wrong with ending the program that penalizes people for being poor ?

10. Rosemary

RosemaryNew Member

Threads:
    I loved Obamacare, it helped me out tremendously! I'm a little worried what will replace it....have. A feeling it's not going to be good.

11. Rosemary

RosemaryNew Member

Threads:
    Oops, meant to say I hated Obamacare...too late to edit my post but I must have been multitasking because I'm hoping it will be repealed...last I heard some Republicans were not going to sign the repeal or whatever needs doing.

Heard this yesterday, so hope today there is some good news.

12. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Obamacare obviously saves the poor a lot of money. Nonetheless, I don't feel healthcare is a right, at least not for adults. Note, whatever the irresponsible save comes out of the pockets of taxpayers. Anyhow, I do think kids, though, should be covered by some government healthcare program because they're not burdened with problems like cigarette smoking, drug abuse, or some situation where they absolutely refuse to eat better or exercise. Well, kids can possibly do the last two, but they're just kids.:)

13. Rosemary

RosemaryNew Member

Threads:
    @Jason76@Jason76 Here in California we had Medicaid for the poor already...

#13Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  14. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I just get that feeling that we will all be looking back a couple years down the road and might be missing this one. I actually did not benefit from it personally, but I know a few people who have, and the news is not looking good right now.

15. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It seems that many people some who may have voted for Trump are opposed to the scrapping of Obamacare and that's many representatives are unwilling to endorse its demise because its now probably evident that the replacement plan won't be any better. The proposed changes seems to be inadequate according to the responses which have been generated towards the new plan. If there are to be changes the changes should bring about better opportunities and not be changes for changes sake.

16. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    Well I saw some figures yesterday that highlighted how the number of uninsured Americans dropped because of Obamacare and would have continued to drop if it was going to continue. But then it show predicted figures if Trump got his wish and the number of uninsured Americans rose rapidly. It's disgusting that some Americans will have to be uninsured because Trump wants to get rid of everything Obama did.

17. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    The people are not dumb. They know who they voted for - and what to expect. However, some might have thought Trump was some sort of alternative conservative, but the actual truth is that he's similar to the other conservatives in the bunch, but it wouldn't be difficult to predict that would be eventually obvious.

Anyway, as far as savings are concerned, the rich and middle class might actually benefit from Trump's ideas and it might lead to lower premiums. However, the poor will continue to suffer more than likely. Of course, though, if the Trump administration can spearhead an economy that provides the poor with good jobs - then the poor can buy private insurance - no problem.

18. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    So I'm a little late to the party on this one (I just saw this thread), but I must say that although I love Obama, I was not a huge fan of Obama Care (Affordable Care Act), but that was because of a couple of reasons. 1. I thought when they first started talking about this plan it was going to be like it is in all the other countries around the world where they may pay higher taxes, but everyone gets free healthcare that needs it. 2. It forced everybody to have to have coverage or pay a penalty. Now to me, I don't like that it gave another bill, and I was like how you all up in my pockets like that. :D It was fine for me because I have kids, so I was already being covered by Medicaid. I personally didn't have to worry about that extra bill. Now with Trump in office, he's trying to cut Medicaid and Food stamps. There are so many things wrong with this though. My husband and I both work, so before you go into that get a job rant, I hear a lot of, you need to understand that there are a lot of families out here struggling to make ends meet even with a two income family, but I depend on Food Stamps and Medicaid to help us survive. Then you think about all of the pre existing conditions that he has in his plan, then I pretty much wouldn't qualify for insurance because I wouldn't be able to pay those high rates. Let's see...I'm a woman with 3 children, which means that I have been pregnant. That's a pre existing condition. I was raped before, and that's a pre existing condition. I've had a cesarean with two of my children that's a pre existing condition. I was on birth control at one point, and that's a pre existing condition. I was born with asthma and that's a pre existing condition. I'm not no skinny mini, so I'm considered overweight by doctors, so that's a pre existing condition. At least with Obama Care, you didn't have to worry so much about pre existing conditions and health care was available to everybody. You know who worried about Obama Care the most? The mega rich cared about Obama Care the most because now they were responsible if they didn't offer health care to their employees, and health care ain't cheap. Then they started telling their employee that they could only afford to offer them this plan, which cost so much money, and their employees fell for it and hated Obama Care. Were there issues with the plan? Yes, absolutely, but everybody had choices and options. I think we need to just do what all the other countries in the world do and offer universal health care and call it a day. i wouldn't mind paying more in taxes for that. I don't make that much as it is, but I wouldn't mind paying higher taxes for that.

19. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Now that changes are coming to the Obama care. I wonder what happens to this plan. And what are some of the options that people have. It seems to be something that may needs to be taken into consideration. I guess it's not something that should be ignored. In next few months there has to be something concrete so that people have some level of assurance.

20. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, everyone is on their feet waiting on what changes will occur and how will it effect everyone long and short term.