Odd Jobs Around The Home, Who Does Them?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by littlewitch66 • Oct 8, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Do you have someone who can do odd jobs around the home like a husband, partner or friend? Calling a tradesman out can be very expensive so it's good if you know someone who can do it cheaply or for no cost at all. Maybe you are able to do it yourself.

Who carries out your plumbing/electrical/plastering or other jobs around The House?

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We seem to hire them all, the electrician, the plumber, the grass cutter and the roof cleaner. Even when appliances break ddown we still hire the technician for that particular appliance, but that's the norm. I guess we are not skilled enough to fix things ourselves.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am the handyman in our home but lately, I don’t have the time and energy anymore. Admitting to the fact that I am not as efficient as before, we now call on a neighbor to do the odd jobs here. Yesterday, the job was to replace a light bulb situated in the exterior ceiling of the 2nd floor. That’s mighty high so the guy had to borrow a tall ladder to reach the light bulb. When we need small painting jobs, I also call on that guy. It’s an expense that I can afford because it saves me from doing the dirty work.

4. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    I don't see why there has to be a particularly person that does them since i believe if anyone is familiar or capable then they should.

5. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I can manage simple task at home that requires zero technical knowledge to the basic ones like remove and replace, a simple electrical trouble shooting and some basic carpentry and masonry works. But those really hard ones that requires expertise is my brother's handy-dandy.

6. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    We try to do most of simple tasks ourselves, that is me or my husband. But for most plumbing or electrical wiring jobs, we call a handyman who is both a plumber as well as electrician. That is because we do not have the required tools to do those properly and we don't want to end up paying out way more than it required in the first place. There is also the issue of safety in such jobs, especially where electricity is concerned.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    For painting jobs around the house, I usually just call in the gang - my nephews and my brother. For plumbing, roofing, and electrical jobs, we'll have to call in the right technical people as they have the skills and the equipment. When it comes to replacing faucets or showers, we usually do this but for more complicated stuff, we'll call a plumber or a highly skilled carpenter with plumbing knowledge. For electrical repairs, I prefer to hire a skilled electrician who can detect other potential issues. I mostly hire people that had worked previously for my brother or friends and are highly recommended. Even then, I make it a point to ask a male relative to supervise.

#7Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  8. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I do quite a bit of handy work around my home. Jobs like painting and tasks which requires a low level of technical ability including some plumbing and simple electrical repairs i have been able to do on my own.

9. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    If anything gets broken in our home, we always call in someone qualified to fix it. If its simple things like changing a bulb or something missing a nail,we do that ourselves. But complicated stuff like toilet getting clogged, leaking roof, painting, those things need qualified people.

10. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the time I am ok with fixing things around the house but I am getting older so I can still fix things- but I am just more burned out about it these days I guess. Of course when you start thinking about the expense of calling a plumber or electrician- you snap out of it and come to your senses-you either find a relative or do it yourself to save some money(haha). Some things though- like putting in a new water heater are best left to the professionals I think ?

11. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    My husband does the odd jobs in the household. I do the minimal ones. I can't work too much since I had a major operation, so I leave him to be with all other tasks. I just attend to my online jobs and take care of my little one.

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I remember when I used to live with my parents my dad was always the handy man in the house, I was so impressed he knew how to do almost anything. My mom would also fix up stuff that didn't require too much strength since she learned it from her uncle. Now my husband Is the one that Will fix almost anything in our home.

13. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    If it is a small issue then my dad does the electrical and plumbing works and sometimes painting but only on a minimal scale. When the problem is serious we will call a professional to do it because it is best to let them handle than making it worse. :)

14. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    We always have help around the house for household and gardening chores. It is only when they are not around that we get to do them. Today is one such day (lol) In India it is common to have maids and gardeners.

15. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    For the jobs that my husband know how to do, then he will be the one who does those odd jobs, as I really have no idea how to do them at all. If there are something beyond his knowledge or skills, then we will have to call for the professionals. I remember in my own family, my mom was the one who did almost everything, as my dad was working and she couldn't wait until he comes back and fix everything, so she would try it herself. I am certainly not as skillful as she is. :D

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do some of these jobs, and if they can wait awhile or I can't do them, I try to get my son to do them when he comes to visit. I have been working on caulking which I have never done before. Videos on youtube can help you learn to do alot of jobs around the house.

17. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I am very lucky my father can handle such jobs. So we never call anyone to fix electrical problems or things like changing bulbs. My father can paint and even fix any problems in the household which the rest of us feel a man can handle. The neighbors and other people are the ones who invite my father to fix any major problems at their home like fixing the door, bulbs, electrical problems and fixing metal substances. :D

18. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    Simple tasks like cleaning, cooking, washing, fixing light bulbs, among others, I do them by myself. However, complex jobs that need experts like repairing technical electrical problems, water supply units and electronics, I usually call for a technician. I am however very careful on who to hire. Some technicians are just too expensive to be hired. But lucky enough these faults come once in a while.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually it's not so costly back in my country India where we can hire the best plumbers or electricians for less than $12 for entire day but if a job is simple and does not require specific tools than I can do them myself or if my wife can manage them. However, we have experts in almost every field providing their services on a phone call. Here in my present location the services are too costly but as I am tenant so everything is taken care by the agent.

20. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I hate to be that person that complains about having to do the work, but it is mostly me. Some of the times I do not mind at all but it is those ones that you do not plan on at all and surprise you that are the worst.