Offline Sites/apps

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Decentlady • Oct 25, 2016.

1. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    How come some apps can work offline while other sites/apps need a internet connection? Will it ever be possible to use everything offline? Wouldn't that be lovely?

2. Oolongfan

OolongfanNew Member

Threads:
    I am with you on this. Yes, I think it would be great. There are apps that I have downloaded to my phone that are nothing more than a link to a website which is very aggravating. Anybody could create an app like that, but it takes a real artist to create something that works offline. Some of my favorite apps that work offline are my Bible app, the Merriam Webster's Dictionary app, and a phonics that I have on my phone for my daughter. I live in the middle of nowhere where there is no internet access, so I can't use apps on my phone that require the internet while I'm at home. One of my favorite apps is Pocket. Throughout the day I will find articles online that I would like to read that I don't have time for and I will save them to this app and I can read them offline while I'm at home relaxing. Which is a great thing for me.

3. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    No, the thing with using offline apps it's that the app is downloading everything needed for it to work. Online means that you are connected to a different computer called a server. The server is a big computer that can store a lot of data on it and it can hold many users. You are getting all the data from the server, but you can download the things on it as well. Using only offline apps will never be something that will exist ever, because there are updates which are needed for an app to work.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    It would be amazing if all apps worked offline. I don't know how it would work out though since the internet is needed to gather all data to be able to connect with others. That is one thing soneone must invent but probably will be too long until it can happen.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    You're absolutely right. I'm also a fan of offline apps since I don't need to turn on and off my WiFi just to browse or use several apps, including saved offline pages. I was wondering if it will ever be possible to use everything offline, but realize that it won't be possible since everything is being updated, just like what you have mentioned. Even though you downloaded an app that can work offline, there will always come a time, perhaps once or twice a month or every 2 months that it needs to be updated, same with information.

If ever that it's possible to work everything offline, I'm not sure what kind of computer can do it or should we use or how much storage should we have to store everything from the server.

6. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    Having offline apps means that you will have to use only what is available within the app. In one month or less you'll be tired and you'll want more. You might even uninstall the app. Apps that connect to the internet are better because you have access to updates, news among other activities. If all Apps were made offline it would be the end of alot of internet related activities.

7. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is possible. You may work on app which is offline, but how it will send the data to the server without internet. How will they update site regularly without internet?

So internet is kind of must thing. There are some apps which works offline, but that would be with limited things. If they want to add up something in it then they must go online.