Online Degrees

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Rosyrain • Jun 11, 2017.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Attending college online offers flexibility to do your class work and learning when you can during your own hours, and can save you money in that you do not have to commute to the campus. I recently started taking classes at the University of Pheonix to finish a bachelor's degree I never finished years ago. What do you thinking of attending online classes, is it worth the money? I have heard mixed reviews, but so far I am enjoying the learning format.

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I am actually thinking of taking a masteral course through online or distance education. The obvious advantage is that it doesn't have to interfere too much with life and work unlike when you have to go to a brick-and-mortar school. Self-studying is also well-suited for me because I'm an avid learner and reader and at this point, I don't think that I'll want to deal with the usual teacher-student environment. There are a few private universities that support online learning but I find the costs to be prohibitive. I'm looking at state universities that are offering online courses at very affordable rates.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I would opt for an online degree if it was a MOOC or otherwise heavily discounted. For instance, some programs are free of charge in the course of your studies and you only say for the certificate. Case has to be taken to enroll for credible and recognized progrens though.

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    One thing through online education we can pursue studies in any field of our choice while we are working, the job could even be a full time permanent one, it all depends on how we manage our hours of the day and off days to attend to studies. Right now I am thinking of pursuing a postgraduate program online in any of the reputable western schools. This is a cool way of getting a foreign degree while in your home country.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've studied online and it's fine as long as you have a quiet place to study as you do need that. You also need to be motivated and that means to interact on forums with lecturers. It can be lonely so if you can meet up for study groups that is better, but for those who are housebound or who can't afford the time to go to a class then it's a good alternative.

Personally I would still prefer the classroom method as it suits me more, and you get more interaction.

6. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have gone to brick and mortar colleges before and I think that every student should have that experience, but when you reach a point in your life when you are older and have many responsibilities, going to online college gets you the degree you need without having to actually go and sit in a classroom.

Right now, I have a busy life and online college is working out well for me. Some people say that online colleges do not offer the same level of education, but I beg to differ. I find that the workload is the same, if not more because you have to actively participate in online college and post discussions, which is a lot of writing. You get access to all of the academic databases and there is a lot of work and reading involved. I have been doing online college for about a month now and you really have to be motivated and pace yourself so you get all of your work done each week.

7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Online courses are really helpful especially for busy people, not to mention that it is more affordable compared to traditional colleges. There are various of courses to choose from and anyone can take it, doesn't require you to be a graduate of this and that. Another advantage is the working environment, there's nothing more convenient when working or studying from home :)

8. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    It all depends on the online university.I think it sounds like a great opportunity and alternative to those who can't afford to go off to a traditional college or simply don't want to. One of my friends said they are enrolled the University of Phoenix online and haven't complained about it so far.

9. DavidLee

DavidLeeMember

Threads:
    Online studies are indeed valuable, especially the paid courses. They give you all the knowledge content you need, I believe so -since I'm doing an free offer course of Digital Marketing at the moment with Shaw Academy and I'm so boosted with quantity and quality information. I'm certain that online education is great/helpful.

10. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I am thinking of pursuing an online MBA course. I get a lot of advertisements for this and I have been longing to do it. Well, let's see. If I am able to manage time with my offline work then I will definitely take it. I have to look for the prices.

11. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I think they are a good value for busy people, but possibly not one for others - because I have a hunch most people prefer to have the professor in front of them. Note, when I was in university and college, any professor over TV or the net simply seemed cold. It just wasn't the same.

12. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I'm an outdoor type of guy and I love the sunshine. I love all the benefits nature can give me plus I get bored so easily. So I think the online schooling thing is not appropriate for me. I do love the internet of things but it seems I cannot focus much when I'm in front of the monitor for long. Still I think it' is good to try some things out of the normal.