Online Safety!

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Eiko ā€¢ Feb 13, 2015.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mizzue replied to my email advising me to pay the 1,200 pesos tax for the item worth 1,800 pesos that I bought from them. The email further said that they will just refund me that amount. @GavinGimbo@GavinGimbo, even if that online shop accepts Paypal, it doesn't matter because the delivery guy (a third party) was the one asking for the 1,200 that represents customs tax.

2. GavinGimbo

GavinGimboMember

Threads:
    My post was made specifically in the focus of how to protect yourself from being snooped during an online transaction, where another person might try to intercept your credit card information. The use of PayPal for your transactions ensures that your bank/card details will not be easily stolen online.

Your situation does not apply to what I've mentioned above or in my other post, since you have trouble with delivery and customs tax.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @GavinGimbo@GavinGimbo, do you mean to say that using Paypal is safer than using credit card in online transactions? My husband has been warning me of a scam and sometimes he would say that a website might just get the information of my credit card in the guise of a transaction but it has an ulterior motive like a scam or using my credit card for another purpose.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Should anyone obtain your credit card or debit card data the thief may use that information to buy anything they want online. Should they buy digital products then you'll never get your money back. Or they can buy goods and sell them pretty fast. Again, that money can't be recovered.

If you pay for whatever you are buying using Paypal, you won't enter your credit or debit card numbers which makes it [using Paypal] safer.

5. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping online gets trickier when you use Bitcoin. If your payment processor is Paypal which is commonly accepted, you can't have a sure way to protect yourself because they don't process Bitcoin transactions. You have to send the Bitcoin to the merchant and hope that they fulfil their part of the bargain. To this end, you have to use reliable sites or trusted individuals. Otherwise, ask them whether they can use payment processors that accept Bitcoin like Neteller.

6. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    That was really a great tip indeed and quite easy to follow. In fact I never noticed the color of HTTP, thanks for the information. To add to this it is also better to use sites starting with HTTPS than HTTP. Here the alphabet ā€œSā€ denotes security and never use a site starting with HTTP in financial transactions. Almost all banking sites starts with HTTPS sign.

Another thing is to look for is a padlock sign which you can find in the address bar which makes it more secure. Fishing sites usually start with HTTP without a padlock sign. It is almost impossible to detect cloned sites as they are designed in such a way that can deceive us easily. Some small steps like this can go a long way in ensuring our online security.