Pampers Or Traditional Napkins?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by NicholasMukuha • Aug 9, 2017.

1. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Anybody born on or before the 20th century, is well conversant with napkins. These were clothes which a child was wrapped with, to avoid excreting on their clothes. When they got dirty, they would be removed, washed and reused. Once a child had overgrown the napkin age, the napkins could be washed and stored to wait for the next visiting child.

New generation parents however have embraced pampers with both hands, even though they cannot be reused. From what we have seen, don't traditional napkins help save money and resources? Why would one still prefer the pampers over napkins?

2. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    When I had a baby, I decided to use traditional cloth napkins instead of diapers. This not only saves money but also is very healthy. Diapers, since they have elestics can cause rashes on babies. However, cloth napkins do not cause any rashes. of course you will have to wash the cloth napkins and disinfect it and changing napkins frequently (as it does not absorn entirely as diaper does) is also bothersome, but you can take this pain as long as it saves money.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I opted for disposable diapers (it's not Pampers) because I calculated that the extra money I'd spend for it would be worth the long, undisturbed sleep that my baby and I enjoyed on his first year of life. He used a good brand of diaper and never had rashes at all. It was absorbent and he only needed 3-4 diaper changes in a single day. Had he used a cloth diaper, he wouldn't just wet the diaper but the upper garment and the bedding as well.

4. Rossy

RossyMember

Threads:
    Diapers might be much more expensive compared to the traditional napkins but the fact that they are more easy to attend to makes most people prefer them. Traditional napkins can get really messed up and for a person like me who is light hearted I don't know how I would wash them. Again, diapers provides maximum protect to the baby as opposed to traditional ones that gives the baby rashes if not changed on time.

5. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I used traditional cotton napkins for my son which my mother made for me. I used readymade diapers only when we had to go out or were traveling as the napkins are difficult to use then. I also feel that cotton nappies being cheap, economical and environment-friendly are also good for the baby than the diapers as they can cause itchiness or skin rashes. Only downside is that the nappies have to changed immediately as soon as they are soiled but then, isn't that what is is expected. Letting diapers sit on the baby long after they have been soiled is kind of a gross.

6. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Pampers are of better quality and they have a very strong sent that stays long, traditional napkins aren't as effective.

@Rossy@Rossy Exactly, they are much easier to use and are of better quality as well as more convenient and attainable.

#6Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
  7. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    @NicholasMukuha@NicholasMukuha Using napkins was quite popular like two to three decades ago because then, there are few companies that were interested in manufacturing Pampers. Using napkins can be cost effective because all the parental mothers need to do is buy five pieces of napkins or less than ten and it is enough to nurse the new baby till the stage when the napkins won't be needed any longer. All is needed is to keep the napkins clean and in good conditions, then you are good to go.

Some quality napkins can be used to nurse different babies that came after the main baby it was bought because have grown. Anyways, things are developing and pampers have come to stay, which is the reason we hardly see any nursing mother using napkins. They prefer to use Pampers, which after the first use can be easily disposed of. This means no stress to wash them anymore.

#7Aug 12, 2017
  8. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I used disposable diapers since they were easier to use than the cloth diapers. I didn't use Pampers brand since they have a smell to them and I don't think scented diapers are good to use. I used an off brand that worked just as good as the name brands but were much cheaper. I think each parent chooses what is convenient and easiest for them based on their own experience and life situations. Many daycare places won't allow those types of diapers since they can't be disposed of easily and have to be changed more frequently.

9. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    @morgoodie@morgoodie Disposable diapers as you stated on your post are far and much easier to use and they are much more convenient too.

#9Aug 18, 2017
  10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    When my babies were born disposable nappies didn't exist. We used terry towelling squares fastened with nappy pins and covered with rubber pants. Nappy rash was experienced by most babies and disposing of the contents and soaking and washing them was a daily event.

When disposable nappies came out they were so convenient that most mothers started to buy them and I don't know anyone today who uses the towelling type. I used Pampers but as time went on and other brands were introduced I preferred some of them. Own store brands were considerably cheaper and I used those.

Now the range is huge and there are many choices ranging from newborn to older children. When you think how much washing powder is used in the washing of the towelling nappies it probably isn't much cheaper.

11. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought that babies could develop skin rashes by using diapers. Whenever I hear with baby rashes the likelihood it could be caused by diapers was a thing I never imagine. Though use of diapers may be more convenient but being it predisposes to rashes in babies, the manufacturers should correct this.

12. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    This your post actually got me laughing out loud because I can't recall last napkins crossed my mind. I am definitely turning out to enjoy this forum the more. Napkins are a messy way of taking care of kids now but before the 20th century it really rocked.

Now I won't dare allow napkins near my child, not that there is any serious problem with using it but the stress and time it takes to keep it neat and ready for use every time is just too much. I thank God for technology improvements in terms of child care, most parents before the 20th century really went through hell in child care and upbringing.

Even though pampers are invoke now, but it's not all families that can be able to afford it in taking care and nursing of their child. Average earning families still resort to old napkins usage in their child upbringing.

13. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I think there are already the new types of reusable napkins/swaddling clothes available on the market complete with velcro tape on them for ease of use. Anyways, people prefer to use the disposable type since they are hesitant to wash the reusable ones when it gets dirty. And the reusable ones are also not very absorbent and so the bed sheet and the mattresses tends to get dirty too especially from leaks.

14. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon RasheedMember

Threads:
    I think that in this current era,pampers are best than old traditional napkins.But a big disadvantage of pamper is rashes.The elastics on the pamper can cause rashes on baby.But,by wearing pamper our baby feel relaxed and comfortable.Our baby can play games even wearing a pamper.

15. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer Pampers. I have used both of them, the old diapers for my niece and nephew (they were born in 2000 and 2002), and pampers for my kids (born in 2012 and 2013). We used to use pampers for my niece and nephew whenever we went out for shopping or anything. But at home it was the cloth diapers. For my kids we used pampers at home as well as whenever we went out with them. Pampers are more convenient to use. The only thing that you have to keep in mind it keep changing it frequently. Don't keep it on for long hours. And sometimes just leave your baby without any pampers or diapers for a few hours. We used to do this during summer, when the babies don't wet the diaper for long duration.

16. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer disposable diapers because it is practical. It is like a computer, it is plug and play. After using the diaper, throw it in the bin. No more worries and hassle of rewashing, hanging and drying. Another thing that a disposable diaper has an advantage of reusable ones is, you can bring it anywhere and never worry about bringing back soiled diaper. And Honestly, That is disgusting.

17. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I currently don't have any children to take care of but if I did I would go with traditional napkins just to save yourself a bit of money. I would only buy pampers if over time they start to become more effective and not as costly. If napkins prove to be just as good if not better than pampers than why go with pampers?

18. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We grew up in cloth diapers using the huge safety pins on both sides. I am lucky not to be pricked by that safety pin. When my daughter was born, it's still the cloth diaper for her but this time we were using the clip already so there is no risk of getting pricked accidentally. The cloth diaper is more tender to the skin and it is way much cheaper because it can we washed, dried, and reused. But with the hectic schedule of mothers nowadays, I understand why they are turning to the disposable diapers.

19. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I had forgotten about the risk of the safety pin sticking in a baby if it came undone. This did happen to one of mine and I couldn't understand why he kept crying. It was only when I changed his nappy that I realised what had happened. Luckily there was no major damage but how upsetting for a baby when they can't tell you what's wrong and have to put up with the discomfort until it's discovered.

20. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose it is the question of moving with the times and therefore pampers it will be, although we all grew up using cloth napkins. It was in fact a ritual to prepare cloth napkins for the baby to come. Everyone rallied round getting ready for the guest.