Paperback Vs Hardcover?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Flowerpower • Feb 17, 2015.

1. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have to go with the paperback on this one. I will say though, that it does depend on the material and if it is something like a textbook, then I really love having the hardcover. For anything that is meant for enjoyment purposes though, which is the majority of what I read, I prefer the paperback.

2. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I love to have hardcovers on my book shelf. However, hard cover books are more expensive than the paper back. Therefore,I always buy paper backs. If I buy three paper backs instead of three hardcovers, I will save money for one more print book. Hard cover looks good on your hand and the book shelf, however, paper backs are more economical.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the olden days when there was no internet yet, I buy books regularly because it helps me at night to feel sleepy. My favorite genre is science fiction which books are very expensive so you can expect that I always buy the paperback version. I don’t remember buying hardbound books because of the cost. But now that we have the internet, I seldom buy books anymore and just rely on the free reading in websites that offer science fiction stories.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I find no difference between paper back and hard bound book as far as the content of the book is concerned. Well as to durability, hard cover book is better than that of paper back or pocketbook. As to storage, paperback occupies little space and could be kept more of them in a bookshelves. And to its availability, there are hardbound books which couldn't have a copy for paperback, same with paperback, nor hardbound copy. And finally as to cost, hard cover books are too costly compared to paperback books.

5. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the subject matter but if its art I usually get a cheap used hard copy(coffee table books) on Amazon these days. I never buy new books anymore though since you can find about any kind of used books at Amazon- but if its novels I would go with a paperback so you can carry it around on public transportation or other travel destinations.

6. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I like hard cover books, but I always buy paperbacks. hard covers are expensive compared to the paperbacks, sometimes hard copies may cost you 50 percent more than paperback. Therefore I always buy paperback to save money. If I buy 4 paperbacks instead of hard cover, I will save money for one more book.

7. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    My personal preference is paperback. I don't think hardcover has much value these days.As both paperback and harcover both are cheap enough these days. I do think that some of the hardcover books like encyclopedia can be good. But overall I think paperback has more preference due to light weight. I am sure this is one reason they are not yet out of style. This can't be said for other type of heavy books.

8. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    I'll usually buy a paperback. Unless it's a book I love and want to keep well preserved for a long time, then I'll purchase the hardcover. Paperbacks are easier to carry around and are generally cheaper. Although, now I find myself relying more on ebooks. At least for travel and academic purposes.

9. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I would love to have hardcover as much as I can, as the quality of the paper is usually much better and the book is easier to be taken care of. Whereas hardcover books are usually more expensive too, so if I buy the books especially from foreign countries, buying the paperback version can help me to save more money, as paperback is always cheaper and the shipping cost is lesser as well.

10. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    Hardcover is not only more durable but it has a feeling of higher quality and sort of premium in comparison to the paperback, but both are fine.