People Who Don't Want Discounts?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Theo • May 23, 2016.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get your point, and I hear what you are saying. But I don't care how the discount is worded. If I see or hear the word discount, then I am there regardless of whether or not the phrasing is off-putting lol. I find it difficult to ask for discounts, but I will if I feel it is really necessary.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I'm a pretty direct person; the question was simple, it seems it the only people who read it were even simpler people.

The point is that a company as an opening offer can offer discounts, you've seen the usual 10% off $40, and 20% off $75, but what about purchases of $30? If they offered 5% off more people would have an incentive to buy. For many it's not only the quantity of the discount, but the feeling they are getting a good deal. It's the psychology of it all.

3. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I think I can refuse a discount option If I really want to support a manufacturer. Of course, I won't do that If the one is very big and successful. However, if that's a beginner who's very talented and aspiring = sure, I can say to its face "nah, I'm rich enough to pay the full price and I think you deserve that".

4. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Since I've never worked in a retail store, I haven't really encountered these kinds of people. I know I'm happy if ever the item I was buying is in discount. My mom is the same way, she loves buying clothes during sales season. The same goes for my sister who loves shopping whenever there are sales or discounts she can avail of. Almost everyone in my family loves discounts and I doubt they would refuse if a sales person tells them that the item they bought is discounted.

My husband does think that sales are rip-offs. He seems to believe that you don't really get discounted items, it only appears like it. He said that during normal days, the price of these items are just the same. I beg to disagree though. I think these items are in sale to make way for new stocks and designs. That's why they are priced differently from normal and new items.

But if they don't want discounted items, then so be it. I won't force them to and if they believe that discounted items are damaged, then the more items we have for us! Lol.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm happy to receive any discount at all and have never understood the mentality behind keeping up the facade of wealth.

I even put off making any major purchases until a sale comes up - why spend more than you have to?

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's okay to be direct but I'm just saying you may have used the wrong words at the time. I didn't see the original post so I can't say what about it was likely wrong exactly or if there even was something you could have used better words for but I'm just playing devil's advocate and based on what you posted on the original post I would say that saying people should find it annoying that companies don't give out discounts for lesser quantity purchases because to me that implies something to the effect of companies somehow owing you a discount the way you see fit. It's understandable to offer suggestions on how they can possibly do things better but to say it is annoying that they don't give out more discounts might sound a little too entitled to some.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DrRipley@DrRipley I used the exact words in my OP. One may play devil's advocate, and that's your opinion, but it was on a subreddit where people were discussing the prices and value of beauty boxes, so that would mean people would be looking for good value and a bargain.

I fail to see why anyone would feel entitled? When one asks why something never goes on sale that isn't being entitled, it's a bona fide question. Clearly you have a very 'different' way of how the world looks and what is 'entitlement' and i have met many that do think they are entitled to things, and I am not one of those people. I feel insulted that you even insinuated this.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    All I meant was that if you used the word annoyed to address how one should feel for not getting any discounts for lesser quantity items then others might think you feel as though you feel entitled to a discount and that you deserve such a discount that you would feel annoyed that you aren't being offered one. If you said that it would be beneficial to both company and consumer to offer such a discount instead of saying that people should be annoyed that they aren't then I think that would have come across less negatively. No need to feel insulted as I am not attacking you personally. You asked a question and I'm just bringing up possible scenarios. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the situation and do feel free to correct me if I have comprehended the exchange wrongfully but from what I have read that's one of the possibilities I would think of why people felt the need to react that way.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, in this case, yeah. I have to agree. There are times when something really isn't a discount. I've seen stores (one in particular that was going out of business) that raised all the prices before giving the "50-75% off " discount. I know how much stuff is supposed to cost, at least generally. So, when something costs more than it would anywhere else but it's labeled as 50% off, that's a no go. I wouldn't buy a thing from them after they tried to swindle me like that.

That's different than what Theo is talking about though. Some people just act out when discounts are mentioned, as if they fear someone will see them as being cheap. I think it's rather silly to brag about paying full price instead of welcoming a discount.

10. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    I must admit that I do not go out looking for discounts, If I need something, I just go and buy it and that's the reason I hate going to open markets, I'm not very good at trying haggle my way out of paying the requested price. In the back of my head I just think that am either putting myself down or putting the seller down. I just hate it.

11. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    I think people who don't want discounts have more money than sense. I am certainly always price conscious with everything I buy. It annoys me when people will spend a fiver on a medicine that you can get for 50p because they think it's better when it's got exactly the same active ingredient in it.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually don't always look for discounts, but I look for good value. In this instance I was looking at beauty box subscriptions and they usually offer some promotion to get you to sign up, because you don't actually know what you will get in the box as it's a lucky dip in most cases. Here, as it's not a specific item, discounts are not unreasonable IMHO. It's like on Groupon they offer a huge discount for their mystery parcels, as you don't know exactly what you will get.

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    A lot of people will reject sales and clearance items. They think that they are not "brand new." I think they are crazy and I am sort of glad that some people are like that. Then I can get all of the deals myself. More deals for me! I don't know what they do for a living, bu I don't know anyone who would pass on a deal this day and age. We can all save!

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I guess rich people are the ones who would refuse a discount. They're too proud to be put in the same level as the commoners who are all too willing to accept discounts.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I see what the OP is saying and I'm also guilty of this mentality sometimes. For instance, if I eat at McDonald's, I always get a slip of paper promising free food if I go online and fill a survey out. However, normally, I just ignore the offer and throw away the slip of paper. I'm betting most people ignore these discount offers also. However, if everyone took advantage of them, then probably fast food places would be out of business.

16. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I do know of a person who is all no no for discount simply because he thinks that's a cheap way and status reducing gesture.

He will not hear of discount and insists on paying full price. Infact if someone negotiaties on his behalf he would really get irritated.

I think others have status issues while others think that discount means low quality.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    As the jobs I have had always had to do with retail I did come across these type of customers, on rare times though. I have always been the sales person so I had to give the customer their rights. Once there was a man who wanted to take his wife a gift and he liked a purse which was discounted. When he noticed it had a discount he refused to buy it because he thought it wasn't as valuable as the full priced ones so he opted for another one.

18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I can't comprehend why someone will reject a discount, it sounds unbelievable in this time that every penny counts. I am yet to see such persons that turn down discounts. Most times I shop I make sure to ask for discount if not displayed, sometimes I ask for more discount when I think the already discounted price is still too high.

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Actually those people with that kind of mentally regarded discounted products or items are inferior in quality. That is why they would prefer not to buy those commodities with a discounted prices. And by experience, that is true, business men or general merchandisers used to sell on such prices to get their unsaleable goods be sold.

20. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I think these are only people that never have had issues with cash which means they were fortunately born into a rich family. When stores give discounts, it is because they can afford it and they're actually marking it down because THEY CAN at that moment and when they do, the ''discount'' is the real worth of the item. Prices depend on a company's position. Discounts are just prices that drop so they're not really discounts. So use the darn discount.