Picking Up In Store

Discussion in Shipping Services started by Gelsemium • Mar 19, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying online do you ever select the option to pick up in store or do you prefer to receive your orders at home even if that costs you extra? So far I choose to have it delivered at home, but I am starting to wonder if that is smart from me.

2. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends on the store and the item, and whether or not it is convenient to pick it up. I recently ordered a twin size mattress from Walmart.com, a "mattress in a box," which is really cool because it is compressed, and then after you open it, it fills up with air to a normal mattress size and has coils and everything. They offered free shipping to my home on this item, so that's what we did. Walmart is convenient for us to pick items up at, so most of the time if I have to pay for shipping from walmart.com, we'll just pick it up.

Some other stores seem to have short in store pick-up windows, so when ordering from those, I might be more willing to pay to have it shipped to my house if it wouldn't be convenient to pick it up, even if the pick-up option is free. For example, I once ordered a shelf from Target.com, and they only gave us 1 day to pick it up, and then it would have gotten sent back. I thought that was a pretty short pick-up window, so I probably wouldn't choose the store pick-up option from Target again.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually order from Amazon and get free shipping; but now and then, somthing is actually cheaper if I order it at Walmart and have it shippd to the store, and it is something tht they don't carry in the store.
    I get my whey milk from Walmart this way because it is much cheaper than ordering it from either Amazon or from the company that makes it.
    Anytime I can get free shipping to my home, there is no way I would choose store pickup; but if it were either pay shipping or pick it up , then getting the product delivered at the store is usually cheaper and easier.

4. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, free shipping is something that makes store pick up look bad of course, but if the shop is close to where I live I can get the best of both worlds, special online prices and I don't pay for shipping because I get it directly from the store.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used the pick-up in store option for various retailers before, but they're often a little lax on it. I'd rather just have the items shipped to my home because it involves dealing with far fewer headaches. Site-to-Store is a great option from various companies, though. It's still not for me.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we lived in the UK, we often did our shopping online because of the weather. It rains a lot in England, and sometimes we just didn't fancy being battered by gale force winds and rain. So we'd have it delivered right to our door. It was only an additional £5, so it wasn't too bad :) If we had such a service here, i'd definitely use it.

7. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really understood the collect in store option. Buying online is supposed to take the hassle out of shopping but if your going to the store to pick it up anyway then you might as well just buy it in store aswell!?
    Or am I missing something here?

8. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes the advantage is in the price difference. Items can often be bought at a lower price online than in a brick and mortar. Then if free shipping is offered on site-to-store, and you frequent that store anyway, it makes it a good deal for you. Also some items, particularly from walmart.com, are not available in the store, so you can only purchase them online.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE the ship to store feature! You don't pay for shipping, though it can take longer than if you ship the order to your home. If you work and don't have anyone to receive your packages, store pickup is an advantage. If you're buying apparel, you can check it at the store and get your money back on the spot if it's somehow not what you needed/expected. Then you don't have to ship anything back.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I usually don’t do this. There’s only one instance where I’ve wanted to use it, and I haven’t even gotten around to it yet because the timing issue was a slight hassle until recently. I have a Macy’s gift card all the way back from Christmas and I planned to use it on a specific item, but our Macy’s doesn’t carry that particular brand. So I need to order it online, and it’ll be cheaper to pick it up in-store than ship it to my home or post office. Other than that, I don’t see myself using this option, at least not in the near future.

11. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    The other reason I like to order online vs. just buying in store is because of special cashback or points offers you can earn on online purchases through sites like

. It's just an extra little incentive that can add up over several purchases. If the price is the same online vs. in store, and I can earn 2%-5% cashback through one of these sites by ordering online and picking up in store, then it's worth it for me!

#11Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  12. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I prefer my item I ordered to be shipped at home because of course it's hassle free and most of the time the shipping is free so I have nothing to worry about. Picking it up in the store can be an option for me only if the store is close by or if I'm not 100% sure with the item I ordered. That way, I could talk to someone in the store about the item I bought just in case something's wrong with it. But my item being shipped to my house is the easiest option there is and it'll always be my choice.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As @Brenda Barnousky@Brenda Barnousky said, there's often a much wider selection of items, and variety of options for those items online, so I'll sometimes use the ship to store method. I wanted a particular trash can several months back, and no one in the area sold it. Walmart.com had it, but I would have had to pay for the shipping, since my order wasn't going to be over $50, so I selected the ship to store option. I also usually shop with ebates, so when I purchase items that way, I can get a little cash back, on top of getting the specific item that I want, rather than going to the store and settling for something they have in stock, even though it's not exactly what I want.

14. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Well that depends on what your store is offering. Many of the stores I'm buying from have a free shipping option as long as you purchase a certain amount of things. But honestly though, I would have the store ship it to me anyways because it would cost you gas anyways to drive over there anyways. Also, when I order things online, I expect things to be delivered to me or else I would just go out and purchase it myself in the first place.