Picky eater

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by jleadbet • Jan 28, 2013.

1. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I have a picky eater in my oldest child. I have been slowly working to introduce some new things into his diet. Mostly I don't want my younger kids to follow his example and become picky eaters.
    I thought I saw some books on hiding vegetables, like the sneaky chef or something like that. Anyone seen a book like this?

#1Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've thought about this and my conclusion was that hiding the healthy food only serves to reinforce the picky eating as the child is not aware they are eating healthy foods. You need to try and change how the child thinks about healthy food and making it taste good obviously helps.

3. waterhands

waterhandsNew Member

Threads:
    I can't remember the title of any book like that but just had whole different idea that I thought would share with you. When I was little my family used to read to me this cartoon where the main character was a girl that ate very very well, and apparentely that used to influence the way I ate.... Maybe trying that as well? Finding some characters your child could feel identified with so that maybe he wanted to be like them and eat better? It might be a crazy idea...but one never knows.....

4. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    That is a good idea. He actually does sort of do this now. He watches a show about a bunny that's always eating carrots. Carrots are one of the vegetables he really like. I think a book would have the same effect. I'll have to look for some stories. Thanks for the idea.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    You could also try getting him more involved in menu planning and shopping. This worked on my kids when they were younger and went through this. I let them select one meal to plan for and then they got to go to the store and pick out the ingredients to make it. Depending on the age, I would also have them help make the meal as well. It seemed to really help. Another idea is to go with a salad, taco, or pizza bar night. Set out all of the toppings in different bowls and let them make their own. It was always surprising what they chose and it is a great way to get them to eat healthier. If most of what you set out is healthy, then they will eat healthy!

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I know there are books like that out there but I think it's quite important to be straightforward about the necessity of eating healthy foods. It's important for him to have a well-rounded, balanced diet and if he's still being just as picky and unhealthy in his mind, it won't help him in the long run. One thing that really helped with my son was to focus on the flavors that he liked...and make side dishes and healthy snacks that incorporate those flavors. He also improved his eating habits when I let him shop and cook with me....he was able to be involved in the process and it made it much more appealing to him.

7. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    This may sound mean to do but it works. I was a picky eater as a child and my younger brother started picking up my habits so my mother would serve everyone the same plate of food and I couldn't get up from the table until I was done. Of course my protions were smaller and my younger brother's protions were mashed up as we are 5 years apart but it worked. I realized quickly that "this is what is for dinner and if I don't eat it I won't eat at all." A child will not let itself starve so I ate. Reluctant at first yes but eventually I started looking forward to beans and avocado, fish and mixed veggies etc. My mom never hid anything in my food because with other siblings she knew someone was always watching so she just fed it straight. If you liked it ok if not then you wouldnt eat. Now I eat EVERYTHING

Again this approach sounds mean but it absolutely worked for us.

8. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    This is one site where a dad from UK was forced to create sandwich art so that his kids would start eating veggies or any food that he makes. It's really worth getting ideas from this website. It's called Funky Lunch

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    What a cute site =). Love food art xD.