Playing with toys vs eletronic playing

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Peninha • Oct 20, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a great question because my kid just received a tablet for Christmas and now he spends a lot of time there, I mean, I had to establish rules or else he would rule out toys for good I imagine. Kids prefer digital over real toys, it's a puzzling situation!

2. MLNewkirk

MLNewkirkNew Member

Threads:
    I agree that kids tend to be disconnected from reality and the world for the matter. But at the same time they are growing up in a digital world, so for them, the digital world is their reality. I realize that my son is going to exposed to technology and that I there will be times that I will not be able to control how much exposure he'll get. Especially since these days schools make use of today's digital devices such as the iPad. Whenever he is with me, which is majority of the time, I stay completely away from technology. We play in the room with no TV, none of toys are digital and I leave my phone charging in the bedroom. When he is with my mother in law, they tend to watch TV but because she is old and can't keep up with him I don't object, especially since she is also my babysitter. His dad enjoys playing games on his phone, I also do not object to this because that's how my boys bond. All together, my son gets about 1 to 2 hours of digital exposure a day. The rest of the day is spent playing with his toys, playing in the yard, eating and sleeping.

3. MLNewkirk

MLNewkirkNew Member

Threads:
    After browsing around the forum a bit I thought a bit more about this topic and decided that I wanted to share my experiences as a teacher with my students. I am a self employed music teacher and I notice striking differences between my students. I find that the ones who play outside more or with non-digital toys are much more motivated to practice and show more enthusiasm during their lessons than those who play video games or watch a lot of TV. Those who play video games or watch a lot of TV, though they are very bright, they tend to be unmotivated and less enthusiastic. They look at their music as a chore or even a punishment where as the students who do not play video games or watch a lot of TV look at their lessons as fun as well as a privilege.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So true ML and that happens because the kids that are playing too much with tablets or other gadgets become like disconnected from reality. I don't want my kids to be socially excluded, but I don't want them zombies either.

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    If I ever have kids, I want them to just enjoy their "childhood" and go outside, play and mingle with their friends or neighbors. Anyhow, when they become teenagers, they'll eventually be exposed to computers and gadgets.

6. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    When I have kids I would like to be able to get them to play with conventional toys. But at the same time we have to accept that being connected with and embracing technology is important. So I would aim at getting a balance between the two.

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    My niece and nephews played both but I observed that they are happier when they play outside and mingle with their friends or neighbors. Whenever they are not allowed to go outside, they just play with their tablets. But when they got bored they would beg their mother to allow them to play outside especially when they see their friends already up and running. And to me it seems that they don't get bored or tired whatever it is that they are doing outside.

8. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    It cannot be avoided that most children today would rather hold a gadget and play games with it rather than ride the bike outside. It has been very sad to see many children just at home playing computer games while they cannot enjoy the world outside. Maybe it is better if they have fun activities outside like sports and limit their playing of games.

9. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree that children are more into video games, computers, tablets, etc. I remember being little and playing outside for hours. Kids these days don't seem to enjoy playing outside. I have to restrict my son's video game use or he would play all day. Kids don't find the joy in playing board games like I did when I was young.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's alright as long as the parents know what they are doing. My nephew plays a lot of video games and he's almost obsessed by it, but I blame that mostly on the lack of options in activities he can partake in that is as convenient as just picking up a controller. He gets a lot of outdoor time too anyway because his dad always takes him out for activities so it's at least a little balanced.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have noticed that the children of today are more into their digital toys, such as tablets and such. They can spend hours at a time on them, as opposed to maybe playing with a new doll, which only offers a few features. With electronics such as tablets, you can do all sorts of thing on them, and new games are coming out for them all of the time. Free games and paid ones. You literally cannot get bored.

12. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    I feel like kids these days are born to play with electronics. A toy, what's that? I remember my son at 2 years old. He opened all of his Christmas toys, threw them to the side and went straight for my phone. That's all he wanted. I tried and tried to get him to play with those toys. It didn't interest him one bit.

I wish my children would run down the block, and make friends like I used to do. We've been in this same house for 3 years and they don't know anyone. Not even the neighbors! Outside play is totally not happening with them. It's always either too hot, too cold or too boring. If play doesn't involve an Ipad, video console, or laptop, they don't want it.

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eh, who cares? Most people I know who grew up playing on PC grew up to be highly intelligent people with university degrees and very well above-average salaries. So while it may not help them per se, it clearly doesn't hurt anyone.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. The kids of today are almost like babies, in the way that when you buy babies toys a lot of the time they will avoid the toy at all costs, whilst diving for everything that is dangerous for them, or things that they should not be touching. Everything bar the toy that you purchased for them lol.

It is similar when you buy the kids of today toys. They will show interest for five minutes and then it is off to the electronics again.

15. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    I think it is fine for a child to play with electronics as long as it is not excessive. We live in an age where everything is technology - our children need to have an understanding for this software in order to succeed in this new world.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid during the 90's, the internet didn't become popular until 1999, so the years before that, kids were usually seen playing on the streets or they use cards, board games, and video/portable game consoles. I think the evolution is just natural, because we are becoming more and more modern. Parents should just learn how to set fair boundaries when it comes to their kid's recreational time.

17. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I see kids play in the streets where I live but you don't see that very often. I'd rather my kids play with others and actual toys, than on devices. It's okay sometimes, but they don't need to be on it all the time. It's not good for anybody, let alone kids, to be staring at a screen too much and too long. They need to flex their imagination and keep their innocence for as long as possible.

18. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I've been teaching for over 20 years and have seen the affect technology has on kids. I have watch the as the average weight of kids in grade 6 steadily increases. The fitness level of kids these days overall has decreased incredibly. In gym class I used to be able to ask kids to run 1 km and most to nearly all could do this. Now when we go out to run most have to walk by about 300 m. I find that more of my students want instant gratification and won't work hard to learn something new. Many more students have trouble concentrating for long periods of time if they are not seeing something that is colourful and bright. But on the other hand students are tech savvy, sending emails, texting, social media, downloading and just computer knowledge has increased. I see the benefits of technology, kids are making their own videos in class now, creating computer games and using technology to learn.
    I think there needs to be a balance in the use of technology in the home and at school. I want my students to be digital citizens but I also need them to physically active and have balance in their lives.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every generation disses the next and negatively judges the crap out of how they go about living their lives and the things they are interested in. Kids in a digital world? Because this IS a digital world now. You want them to hold themselves back.. go play with sticks while the rest of the world progresses? Without kids being allowed to live in the now, we wouldn't have all these advancements you all love and can't seem to live without. If we tell our kids they have to live exactly as we did, we won't have the next big advancements.. we can't live in the past. Imagination evolves as well. Everyone seriously underestimates children, it's sad.

As for the teacher above me seeing how negatively technology is impacting her kids.. it's called crap diet.. not technology, not lack of running in circles. It effects every little aspect of our lives, especially weight and attention.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do feel that kids today spend way too much time on their electronics. We do not allow electronics at the dinner table. I have not been able to get the boys to walk or ride the bikes as much as I would like, it is a lot different from when their mother was a kid.