Prepaid Cell Phones

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by mariaandrea • Apr 16, 2012.

1. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    Does anyone use prepaid cell phones? I've been using an AT&T GoPhone for years because I don't talk very much on the phone and don't really need smart phone apps and features. I'd like to have them, but I'd rather save the money. I pay $25 for 3 months of service with calls at 10 cents/minute and $1/per day it's used. I usually get a text package of 200 texts for $4.99 for a month. That's all I need and it saves tons of money because we don't have a land line. My son is with Boost Mobile and after loading his phone for 6 months before the due date he gets unlimited phone, text and data for $35/month (it started at $50/month). In comparison, my daughter has a contract with Sprint for $80/month for unlimited data and text and tons of minutes, but she also got a $400 android phone for free, which she couldn't have afforded any other way. I like not having a contract with a prepaid phone and I'm just cheap.

2. thiefraccoon

thiefraccoonNew Member

Threads:
    I recently did a ton of research on phones and plans, because my girlfriend and I have been in the market for one.
    Ended up going for the T-mobile's prepaid 4G plan, and specifically their $30 100min voice, unlimited txt and 4G data (throttles after 5gb! not 2gb!).
    I don't use too much voice, but I do txt a lot and want good web browsing on the go. T-mobile's 4G speed is pretty sweet, and for only $30 a month,
    the $300 I spent on my phone (HTC sensation) should be justified after 8~12 months!
    Also I'm not locked into a 2yr contract, which lets me sell my phone and move on if I ever change my mind.

You're not cheap, you're being a smart consumer! As am I :D

3. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I'm grateful for this post because I'm currently looking at prepaid phones. I had thought about going through Wal-Mart with their cheap phones and Straight Talk minutes packages. Does anyone know much about those? It looks like a good deal.

4. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I don't know about the Walmart phones, but I would think that these days with so many prepaid phone plans being offered, that they would deliver what they say they do because it's so easy and cheap to switch plans and phones to another service. If they want to keep customers they have to offer a decent service. I think prepaid phones are especially good for people who don't talk a lot on the phone, but what I like best is that there are so many flavors, so to speak. You can find plans with lots of minutes, or not many minutes but unlimited texting, and just pay as you go along. It's easy to find a plan to tailor to your needs.

And, I like that I'm not cheap, but a smart consumer! Thanks thiefraccoon! It's all about perspective. ;)

5. shanontherocks

shanontherocksNew Member

Threads:
    Wal-Mart straight talk is ok, but it isn't the best. T-Mobile and Boost Mobile offer some of the best pre-paid features, phones, and services. Everyone I know around has switched from plan to either T-Mobile or Boost mobile and they do not complain. Some are even reduced down to $35 a month like the OP stated about her son.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a prepaid phone, but I don't really like them because I feel like I have to spend too much mental energy calculating how many minutes I've used, on what day I've used the phone, etc. Right now I have an Assurance phone (a govt sponsored plan for low-income earners). I spend $5 a month and get 500 minutes and no texts. I like that plan because I don't generally use more than 300 minutes per month, but it's nice to know that I don't have to freak out about an exceptionally long emergency phone call.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have recently switched off of Tmobile and got a TracFone instead. I am older and only use my phone occasionally and actually use it to just make calls. I like how the TracFone displays on screen for me how many minutes/days I have remaining before I reload it. I also love the fact I now have a cell phone for around $20/mo compared to my $70/mo I had on Tmobile.

8. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I've been using prepaid phones for a while. It's the best plan for me as I don't really use my phone to text or make calls, and only use it to browse the internet when I see a WiFi net available (either at home or someplace else). Anytime I need to get more credit, I can just go down the street and buy a card.

9. thiefraccoon

thiefraccoonNew Member

Threads:

straight talk is fine, but you should look at all your options.
    do you want data? data is only necessary for smartphones, and used when you surf the web, download apps over the data connection and not wi-fi.
    straight talk offers $30 1000min 1000txts 30mb plan. Which is great if you don't use data.
    They also have $45 unlimited everything plan which is pretty good. I believe you can bring in any GSM phone and activate it with their plan. (GSM phone. verizon or sprint's CDMA phone will not work)

their downside is that their phone options are limited if you don't bring in your own GSM phone, which most consumers won't.
    Also their data speed 3G at most, when I wanted 4G. But nonetheless, straighttalk is a good option.

10. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    We've been looking at changing from our family plan to prepaid plans, too. I thought the Virgin Mobile Beyond Talk plans were interesting - they start at $35 per month for unlimited text and data with 300 minutes of talk time. But a couple of family members need talk and text, not data. After reading these posts, I realize that we don't have to all go with the same company. Thiefraccoon, what happens on your T-Mobile plan if you use up the 100 minutes? can you purchase more minutes? How does that work?

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I ended my T-Mobile contract a year ago. I made the move to Virgin Mobile just to take a break. I really didn't want to jump back into another two year contract. I pay $25/month for 300 minutes with unlimited data and texts. Virgin Mobile is now $35 for the same plan, but I suppose I'm grandfathered in the old plan. I only have a basic phone, but I'm very satisfied with my service. In the next month or so, I'm looking to get a smartphone upgrade. I hope to stay with Virgin.

12. thiefraccoon

thiefraccoonNew Member

Threads:
    $25 for that plan!? Lucky! You should totally hold onto that plan. (I wonder if you can sell it...You know, like selling or subletting a rent controlled apartment!)
    I hope you can get a smartphone but keep that plan!

13. alinass

alinassMember

Threads:
    I don't use prepaid. It's too expensive. I don't use texts. I have Android phone with unlimited data, I install this app called Viber. There you can send messeges to other people who have it and you can call them for free!! It's great and saves you a lot of money! You just need the lowest mothly plan and unlimited data!

14. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I have been thinking of going with prepaid phones. I have been with Verizon wireless for 10 years and have been paying almost $300 a month for minutes and other stuff I do not use. Verizon is expensive, but no this is not for 1 phone line. I have 4 phone lines and wireless Internet for this. I think I can lower some of the bill but I will have to completely cut services off to lower it. The cool part is that I have been on month to month since all of my lines are eligible for an upgrade and I have not upgraded any yet.

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely holding onto the plan, but I've seen people selling the same plan for hundreds on ebay. I believe that I can transfer the number to a different phone and keep the same plan, but I better double check!

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think they're a great idea. I don't personally have one because I either shut my phone account down entirely (like when I'm out of the country), or I use it quite regularly and more than a pre-paid would be worth. Because I'm on Verizon, that means I can talk to anyone else on the same network for free....and in my case, my mom and sister are both on it and can call me freely without me having to think about minutes being used. The same goes for texting.

17. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    My husband and I both use Straight Talk. I started with Boost Mobile and quickly became jealous of all of the features that my husband got that I didn't. Plus his plan was cheaper than mine. I was paying $50 a month. I couldn't get on the internet, use bluetooth to get ringtones, or get any apps. I switched to Straight Talk and now I pay $45 a month for unlimited everything. I even have a smartphone that allows me to download a bunch of free apps. Plus my service is better. I used to hit a lot of dead zones with Boost, but have no problems with Straight Talk. I won't get any other service plan.

18. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    My friend uses these and loves Straight Talk!

19. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I actually attempted Boost one time and nearly every place I was at was a dead zone!

20. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Our cell phone was a gift from my mother in law and it's part of her own plan. She pays for it, bless her. It's a simple cell phone without any special features, but that's all I need and I'm sort of a minimalist when it comes to this stuff. Before we got it, we used a TracFone (not sure on the spelling) with prepaid minutes and it was plenty enough.