Prepaid Cell Phones

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by mariaandrea • Apr 16, 2012.

1. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I have a contract with T-Mobile for my own phone (only because I keep renewing an old contract that's cheap), but my 13 year old son uses a Tracfone. I got him one of their nicer ones for Christmas (it's his second Tracfone), and the phone came with double minutes for life. Additionally, I always go to DontPayFull.com and get a coupon code before adding minutes - they always have specials for free minutes available. Usually I'll buy 30 min. (which is doubled b/c of the phone special) and get a coupon code good for 30-60 minutes free. I usually end up paying 19.99 for all of that. He has 90 days to use them, text and talk. It's cheaper than getting a plan for him, as you know how much teenagers like to text.

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I much prefer the prepaid mobile phone option for a number of reasons. When you are locked into a 24 month contract, it just becomes a bother etc...I prefer knowing the numbers, this allows me to track my own calls etc, and this way I know what I am paying for calls.

3. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    My husband just bought an Android for $100 bucks at Wal-mart through Net10 and it has $50 per month with unlimited everything. He had to pay almost $80 per month with Verizon for the same phone and service, so sometimes the prepaid cell phones are really worth it. Plus if your finances are low, you just don't reload your phone until you can afford it.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    My husband has this same plan. He gets about 1200 minutes for $45/month and unlimited access to the internet on the 3G network. He uses the phone quite a lot; he comes very close to the 1200 limit every month, and the internet access is invaluable, since we don't have a computer.

5. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    Prepaid phones are great if you don't call/text often and you don't mind not having a smartphone.
    My mom has saved hundreds of dollars by switching to a prepaid phone.

Over the past year she has only bought roughly 100-200$ with of minutes/texts.

Compare that to how much it would cost to have a non-prepaid phone compared to my moms prepaid plan... :)

6. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    I know I'm cheap. I recently got an android phone with metropcs. I am officially in love with the phone (though I don't really care for metro). I am actually allergic to cell phone contracts. I feel like a cell phone company should have to earn my loyalty.

7. Moneysaver93

Moneysaver93Member

Threads:
    I prefer prepaid cell phones over contract. I have a prepaid and I'm happy with it. I have never been much of a cell phone user. I usually only use it in emergencies, or if I absolutely have to know something right then. Otherwise, I am comfortable with a phone that I can just pay as I go.

8. saver

saverNew Member

Threads:
    When I accidentally washed my phone in the washer my only choice really was to get a pre-paid phone because they were so much cheaper. If my experience thus far with the phone continues to go the way its going I'm going to keep buying these phones because they are so much cheaper and if you ask me just as nice. Also your not tied to a contract so that makes it even more better.

9. katlynelyse

katlynelyseNew Member

Threads:
    I use Virgin Mobile. They have $40 prepaid plan with 300 minutes and unlimited texting and data. It's runs off of Sprints network. They have plenty of phone to choose from (including iPhone 4 and 4s and plenty of android based phones) and in a variety of prices. Sure the nicer phones are expensive, but it's worth it in the long run because you're not locked into a contract and you can sell the phone if need be. I really enjoy the company and have never had any problems with them.

10. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I also use a prepaid phone. I rarely ever use mine as well. I just buy a 20.00 dollar card every few months. I guess for those people who live on the phone then its worth it. I know my kids have a lot of trouble paying their high bills.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in our country, prepaid cellphones are the norm, and it's pretty convenient too because you are not bound by a contract by your network provider, and instead you just buy your desired amount of prepaid credits that can be used for calls, texts, internet and MMS services. If you did not reload your sim card for 4 months, then your sim will be permanently deactivated.

12. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have to say I love my Pre-Paid plan. I have a Straight Talk plan with Unlimited talk,text, and web for $45. I was looking into Boost where they had a plan where it was $50 and once you kept paying on time it started going down. I liked that option, but it was so expensive to get your plan started. With Straight Talk all I had to do was get a phone and then get a service card. I can set it up to auto renew monthly and not have to worry about anything. If I want to get a new phone, I can just go order one. I got me a Smartphone on Black Friday for $40. I like the phone and it was great for it being my first Smartphone,but now I am looking to get a Samsung Galaxy or a Samsung Model with more space. I know it will be easy to get it and easy to transfer the information over. My husband stated and I agreed, we will never go back to a Contract.

#32Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a Virgin Mobile at $35 a month 300 minutes and unlimited text and data. I tried the 2 yr contract at $80, I was not using that much phone so I went back to prepaid. It works for me.

14. cinderr

cinderrMember

Threads:
    I am in the same boat. I pay for my kids fancy phone with all the bells and whistles--about $55 a month, which I guess is cheap. I have the prepaid trac and it is more than I need. Emergencies mostly. Maybe call up to have them come down and carry the groceries. I don't talk much on mine either. I don't flaunt it tho:cool:

15. pxyc

pxycNew Member

Threads:
    Accidentally slammed my phone in a car door. Went to the AT&T store and their prepaid phones were cheaper than it would be to replace the phone that I smashed, but I just went online and got an unlocked one on eBay for $100. Kept it for a few months, saved up and got myself a Galaxy S4. I don't recommend buying off of eBay if you can afford a prepaid phone from your carrier. Too risky.

16. Matt24

Matt24New Member

Threads:
    Until a few months ago, I was on a prepaid plan. It was great because it was only $15 a month, I believe, for unlimited text and 10 cents a minute for talk. Before, I never really used talk that much so I was fine with this. However recently I switched off of prepaid. I decided I was starting to use more talk so the bill was getting more to like $25 a month. In addition, I didn't have data which I started to need so we just decided to upgrade to unlimited talk, text and 500 MB of data. I think it was only about $15 more to get data with the plan with T-mobile so I just decided to go with that. However, I you are tight on a budget, there is no doubt that a prepaid account would be the way to go.

17. sbatz72

sbatz72Member

Threads:
    This sounds like a great deal. However, it does not sound like it would work for me. I think that to pay $1 per day on the day it is used sounds great. But to pay ten cents per minute, I would not be saving money. I use a prepaid phone. I use the Straight Talk phone. The phones run on the Verizon towers. The price is the same whether you use a smart phone or a regular phone. Well, with the regular phone, you can cut your bill by $15 per month. The regular phones take the $30 card. This is something like one thousand talk and text.