Product Packaging Vs Cost

Discussion in Product Reviews started by remnant • Nov 16, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Most customers go for products with attractive packaging assuming that they are of superior quality. Their bane is the fact that most of these products pass this aspect to the buyer. I have no qualms going for quality homemade or cottage industry products even if the packaging is plain. They come cheap with good quality and quantity at least some of the time.

2. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I'm all for less packaging or even less fancy packaging. It's good for the planet and it helps save money too. I don't want to pay extra for a fancy package if I can find a better deal with a plain, brown, wrapper. I'm much more concerned with savings and with the quality of the product itself, rather than with how prettily it is presented.

Many items are marked down if the package is damaged or missing. I'm find with that if they item is still fully intact.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I see that sometimes packaging could look deceptive. What I have come to experience is that sometimes the packaging of an item can make it look superb and attract more money, then one pays a high amount and only to be disappointed at the content itself. These days I tend to go for less packaging as I really want the real value to me for every cent I spend.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    That is another important thing to keep in mind. Sometimes, the packaging can deceive you. This was the case with a certain store and the way the changed the packages for their meats. Now, you really can't get a good look at the entire piece if it's large or the other pieces if they're small. I don't like that.

I want to see what I'm getting for my money, so I don't buy meat there any more. Thankfully, I have better places to get it anyway.

5. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    The usage of eye-catching packaging is more to make the product presentable. It has nothing to do with the quality of the product. However, there're some items which need good packaging given their self life. The items like chips, biscuits, and similar type of crispy products need good packages as well to keep their crunch intact.

6. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    I just wish that we could go back to the old days where there was no packaging involved. We all ate natural food and made things from scratch. Even tomato sauce is very easy to make at home and I have often made my own mayonnaise. Healthy fresh food is best bought at your local butchers and greengrocers. Then you can make all the foods your tum desires.

7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Yes product packaging can be very deceiving. I've been actually a victim of this a lot of times since I get easily attracted to decent and nice packaging, although I am not sure about the item inside. Fortunately, most of the products that I bought (with nice packaging) have good stuffs in it as well. And I always check the price first before getting one and if I think that the price isn't worth it, then I normally pass.

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    That's one the main goal of packaging to make it eye catching. It's two different things to me when I look at the packaging and the supposed products. I am careful not to be carried away with the fine wrapping but concentrate more on the quality of the products inside. That said, an item should be well wrapped, with the expected good quality, to attract buyers to enhance it sales.

9. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    As long as the simple packaging will suffice, I never ask for extra packaging. I know if you ask for extra packaging, you will incur expenses on packaging. Unless, I am expecting the item from another city, another country, a simple packaging will work for me.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a store in our town that sells native snack food. It is different from the commercial bakeshop and deli because the packaging is banana leaves inside simple carton. The store is popular and business is good maybe because of the novelty packaging. But definitely the price of the food items is much cheaper than the commercially packaged goods of the same kind.

11. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have learned that pretty or fancy packaging does not always mean the product is any good. Advertisers use this method to catch peoples attention since they know some can't resist gravitating toward the best looking things. I am not a fan of paying for the packaging as it will eventually be thrown away. I like to make sure the product it self is good in order to purchase it.

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I see items in attractive and busy packaging, it creates a first impression that it forms a significant part of the cost. Most of the times, however, the impression turns out to be superficial and that the product was actually priced fairly. Many manufacturers, after all, are huge businesses that can afford to pay for quality packaging in bulk or otherwise participate in product bundling with a packaging company which enable them to pass their products to consumers at competitive prices. Small, home-based businesses, usually don't enjoy this advantage.

Regardless of the packaging, though, it's the product quality that matters and I always look beyond the superficial to decide if a product is worth buying. Some products that come in simple and cheap packaging turn out to be that - simple and cheap. Good packaging is a necessity, for example, to ensure a longer shelf life for food items.