Rapid Ramen - Seriously?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by ohiotom76 • Oct 23, 2013.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't believe when the "inventor" of this was on Shark Tank recently, pitching the product. I was even more astonished when one of the investors agreed to go in with him on it. It's a freaking *bowl*. That's it. The only thing remotely unique about it is that it's shaped like a rectangle in the approximate dimensions of a brick of ramen noodle. I have a shelf full of tupperware containers just like it already, why on earth would I need to go out and buy a "Rapid Ramen" to do the same thing any one of them could do? Are people really stupid enough to buy something like this?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's just a bowl? I don't watch that show, but I'm guessing they're pretty smart with money.. why would they invest in a bowl? lol. Sounds bad lol..

3. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    LAME. My ramen only takes 5 minutes to begin with, and that is when we even make it, which is about 2 times per year haha. Definitely NOT something I would even think about purchasing!

4. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with the original post, doesn't seem unique enough to invest in..or for anyone to buy. Don't most people just microwave water and pour it over ramen in any bowl? I didn't see that "Shark Tank" episode, but I am surprised any of them went for it.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I know this sounds crazy but hear me out: I can see this being a viable product. Perhaps even profitable.

You have to imagine that you are a college student who has a diet consisting mainly of Ramen & have little to no dishes in order to eat them in. There is a convenience to the shape of the bowl when you need to throw it into microwaved water. Or, the lazy student approach, throw the whole thing (noodle brick & all) into the microwave. Barely taking time to stir your season package *sigh*. I am not saying this is something for every consumer out there but this definitely has appeal for a college kid.

6. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see much profit in something like this. They must have had a really good sales pitch with this product in order to get someone from the shark tank to invest. I don't see myself buying something like this because I rarely eat ramen noodles like that. I don't see their sales getting very high after the newness wears off on this.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watched that episode of Shark Tank. Shark Tank is one of my can't miss TV shows. Anyway, I think it could be a successful product if it's positioned correctly. Certain niches won't mind buying it. I think it would be better to pair up the noodles with the bowl for a quick lunch on the go.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw that on Shark Tank! I didn't even see it on tv other than in there... I thought it was not an original idea at all when it showed on Shark Tank. That being said, it's not an expensive gadget, so if I was a fan of ramen I maybe could consider to purchase it. But I hate ramen, so no good.
    By the way, Shark Tank is one of my favorite reality shows!!

9. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I like shark tank too and I have seen some really good ideas on that show. This idea just doesn't strike me as a real money maker. It's geared towards a specific set of consumers and this product is not unique. I think they will make some money on this idea, but not as much money as they are hoping to make. Then again I could be proven wrong.

10. iShootRocks

iShootRocksNew Member

Threads:
    Wow that sounds really bad.. The guy must not have been very smart to go onto a TV show with that kind of pitch..

11. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I still find it hard to believe that he got one of the sharks to invest in this product. I just don't see a huge profit from this. They will make a profit in the beginning, but it will begin to even out once the newness wears off.

12. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    How much more rapid can ramen noodles get?? They take like 3 minutes!!! But honestly, if I saw this in the store I would buy one for my mother. She eats ramen noodles for breakfast all the time.

13. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I saw that on Shark Tank too. He pitched the product very well. It is a flexible plastic bowl that helps the noodles evenly cook in the microwave without getting the noodles mushy. It has a line showing where to fill the water to. It can also be the dish to eat the noodles. So, it is not a bad idea for college students, kids just starting out of their own, or a single person. There is a niche for it.

14. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I agree about there being a niche for this product, and it's perfect for people on low budgets who need quick meals.

15. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You would be surprise how many actually cave in to buying these things. I def would not buy this bowl unless it has some magic powers lol.

16. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah there are a lot of people who buy these products mainly because they like as seen on tv products. Not all of them work for everyone and this one is ok, but not a big product nor is it unique.

17. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    How long does it to take to prepare ramen noodle soup. It would never take more than 3-5 minutes to prepare. This thing would be a waste of money and time to get. Advertisers must really think that people are stupid to continue to pitch products like these.

18. Loyal

LoyalBanned

Threads:
    It is actually a good idea. It's a reusable bowl with handles that won't burn your hands when you touch it. If you ever bought ramen noodles (not cupnoodles) you have to cook it on the stove top for it to come out good. Cupnoodles does not compare to real ramen noodles. It's Cheaper than cupnoodles in the long run. It's great for those on low budgets. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it if you do eat ramen.

From there website, "Rapid Ramen is the solution. Rapid Ramen is the world’s fastest and easiest way to cook ramen noodles. The Rapid Ramen Cooker is a square shaped microwavable bowl designed in the same dimension of a block of ramen noodles. Simply place the ramen noodles in the Rapid Ramen Cooker, add water to fill line, and place in the microwave for 4 minutes. Retrieving the cooker out of the microwave is safe and simple, remove the cooker with the two heat resistant handles, and the ramen noodles cook perfectly just the way you like them in minutes. It’s that easy. The secret is the patented reservoir design that circulates the water providing perfect heat distribution. Rapid Ramen cooks the ramen noodles to perfection every time in less than half the time on the Stove! The Rapid Ramen Cooker only uses 1 cup of water instead of 2 cups on the stove. This allows you to only use half the pack of seasoning significantly reducing the sodium. It also rinses out easy and is dishwasher safe. Cooking ramen noodles just got faster and easier! If you eat ramen noodles, You need a Rapid Ramen Cooker!"

19. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    It only uses 1 cup water instead of 2? That is interesting. I also like the idea of using half the seasonings packet. I never do because I think the noodles taste too salty when you use the whole thing. What do you do with the extra seasoning? Throw it out? Then I think that is being wasteful.

20. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds perfect for people on the go. There is definitely a market for this product. Even if you're at home, it's quick and easy. Only time will tell, but I believe that it will be a money maker.