Read The Fine Printe

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by cluckeyo • May 26, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I was just exploring alternatives for our landline this evening and I went to ATT online to see if anything had changed there since I used to be a customer. They are offering a program where you have a monthly fee of $2.99 + you pay 10 cents per minute for your domestic long distance calls. I thought that might be a savings opportunity and it would work well for us since we really use our landline very little though we still need it. Most long distance calls could be made from my cell phone. Below, the fine print suggested there might be other fees not listed. So I called them and asked about the program.Turns out, my monthly bill would be $27.00, plus the minutes, charged at 10 cent each. I found this very misleading and I am certainly glad I called. Because I would have been really mad if I had cancelled my current service and then my bill came in. So beware, and read the fine print!

2. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, you have to read the fine print. AT&T is notorious for doing this type of stuff. I believe there was some lawsuit against them about misleading customers, maybe two years ago. My husband and I got rid of our landline services about three years ago because our bill was higher and higher every month. We still use AT&T for internet services, but we're looking at other providers as well.

I'm just waiting to see how the merger of AT&T and DirecTV pans out because I've always been satisfied with my DirecTV service and my bill has always been pretty affordable compared to other cable and satellite services in my area. When I first found out that the companies were merging, I seriously wanted to abandon ship with DirecTV because of how AT&T does business.

I'm glad that you made that call too and thanks for sharing your story.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For my landline service I just have a basic Verizon connect service it is only about 20 dollars a month and has unlimited service. I would rather just use a cell honestly, but a friend of mine pays the bill so if someone else is willing to pay..who am I to say no? I might consider changing back to direct tv, I am going to look to see what their internet service is like.

4. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, you got a really good deal with Verizon! I had to read that line several times because I thought I was seeing things.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh gosh, absolutely! I NEVER sign anything on the spot because I want to take it away to read everything including the small print. I go through it all with a fine tooth comb just to be certain. I've seen many situations where people neglected to read the small print and found themselves in situations that they could have very easily avoided. I don't want to be one of them LOL

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Its no coincidence that what phone companies want you to know is written in bold. After skimming through the juicy information, I usually go to the tab that says terms and conditions apply. You might even find a clause that says that the current price is the starting price and the final price is dependent on a host of other factors. Some prices are just for promotional purposes only.