Reading Reviews To Avoid Scams

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Denis Hard • Jul 4, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We tend to do some research before making purchases, especially larger purchases. These days though, you have to be careful, because there are so many paid reviews. People are paid to write positive reviews, or given free products.

I like to find a site that has lots of reviews, because I think I can get a better perspective. My thinking is that the more reviews there are, the more likely it is that there will be some authentic ones. After a while, you can usually tell which ones are too glowing, and which ones are people who are just disgruntled for whatever reason (like using a product for the wrong purpose and then being angry with the company), and which ones are legit.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel similar to you. I mean, I know there is a chance that a website is so good that it would have mostly glowing reviews, but they still have to seem realistic, and there has to be at least one neutral review, or a negative one. Even if a site is near perfect, there will always be someone who has a bad experience. It just makes the whole experience seem more legitimate.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some places, like Amazon, have changed their rules for leaving reviews. When you receive a product for free, or at a reduced rate, by agreeing to leave a review for the product, then you are required to put that in your review now.
    I think that it is a shame that some people do misuse this way of testing products, and write copied reviews, or just something that is not realistic.
    You have to read through several of the reviews about a product to try and see what people actually thought of that product. I am now signed up at a website that helps connect product testers with the companies that have new products that they want people to try and then review how they liked it.
    I am really enjoying trying the product and writing a review that says what I did or did not like about the product; but I have also seen some reviews where people just actually copied and pasted another person's review of the product, which spoils it for everyone.
    Like most everything else, you just have to read everything carefully, and then draw your own conclusion from there. At least with the declaration of product testing having to be on the review, you can tell better if the person I actually writing about their own experience or not.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I always read reviews on items I am buying. The internet is so handy for this. I remember when I used to go to the library to read Consumer Reports reviews on items. Now most websites have a review section that you can read what people think of a product. Once reading the reviews they really help me make up mind whether I want to buy something. For clothes I like to know how something fits, so if reviewers say buy a size up or it fits on the large side, I'll take that into consideration before I order. When I go to buy a major appliance I always read reviews to see how reliable it is. I have to agree, when there are too many glowing reviews I get suspicious.I

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    I feel like this is a dog eat dog world, and if people feel like they can make money by leaving false glowing reviews, then they will. We need money to survive unfortunately, so it is a given that people are going to do things that are unhelpful to others, in order to earn money. When I am reading the reviews for a product, I don't just look on Amazon. I'll often search the entire web for reviews on other websites, about the same product.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I did this a lot especially when I was buying some items from China. Not that I'm assuming they are cheaters but I have heard some stories that people were reporting fake reviews and not getting items, but I think now that those might only have been rumors. I am a bit skeptical sometimes even when there are lots of good reviews on ebay so I just try as much as possible to just stick with the sellers with badges or seals of approval from ebay. If it's unavoidable then I'd probably just buy a cheaper item at first.

7. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    The best thing to remember is to read between the lines! I use this the most often when I am looking for affordable hotels. Sometimes items have reviews that sound kind of awful at face value - but it's honestly just the reviewers being nitpicky. Think about your needs for an item or service before you start reading reviews and it could save you a lot of money in the long run. If you take every, single bad review at their word, you'll never purchase anything.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too I always read reviews and glad they have them at sites where they are selling products. I like reading about the products I'm about to buy. I check sites at Norton safe web if it's a new site and the BBB.org for the business review too. It's a very good idea to check things before you buy anywhere. I like buying online so I'm a frequent checker of reviews on products and sites.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yep, I do this. Some of the more negative reviews are often nitpicky, I find, mentioning 'cons' of the product that do not matter to me, as far as why I am buying the product,or with how I am going to use the product. Every customer has different need and uses, and reasons for why they want to purchase any one product.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    If there is ever something that I am unsure about online, I will take a look at the reviews and opinions available to see what I can get from them with regards to information. I will always be careful, as it is very annoying and unfair when you are scammed, and for this reason you should always try to avoid it happening to you if you can.

11. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Its always prudent to check reviews but a word of caution is in order. Some scammers pay online reviewers to troll any negative reviews. This means that its hard to get a credible and independent review. The best alternative is to check out reviews from credible sites like Scamadviser.

12. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Its always prudent to check reviews but a word of caution is in order. Some scammers pay online reviewers to troll any negative reviews. This means that its hard to get a credible and independent review. The best alternative is to check out reviews from credible sites like Scamadviser.

13. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I think that it is a must at this point. When you look at it that is the real strength of the social network thing is that we can learn from other people's experiences immediately, and so we should be able to see how products and services work for others and then base our choices on that. I always read and research anything that I am spending my money on, and I hope that others are as well.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That indeed is a huge concern. I've heard a lot of these YouTube reviewers are paid to give rave reviews. It's for exactly that reason that I steer clear of those. You need to be very smart and cautious about where you do your research, and I've mainly joined a few independent discussion forums where nobody's paid for their reviews, and sometimes I even wonder if the members on those may be too harsh. However, I'd much rather that than a site full of rave reviews for duff products. This has really served me well over the years.