Save Money On Electricity Bills With Easy Tips

Discussion in Utilities started by tasha • Feb 5, 2016.

1. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    Firstly unplug things that you do not use, buy candles and don't switch on your lights unless you have to. Kettle, tumble dryers and washing machines are a big waste of electricity as they chew up the most so only do washing when you have to, avoid the tumble drier to often and when using your kettle, make sure that you put in only enough water for your cup. Don't leave the tv on and try to use energy saving lights too. If you have any other ideas lets hear it?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That first tip is what we do. But to avoid the inconvenience of pulling the plug, all our appliances are connected to a surge protector with individual switches. So what we do is to turn off the particular switch. We have learned that the so called digibox provided by the cable tv runs even when turned off. It has a motor that perpetually runs so that means it consumes electricity even when you are not using it.

3. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    that is sad! the geyser is also an electricity guzzler so to avoid the added expense try to get your family to have cold showers or smaller baths this will also help with the water crisis

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Unplugging things that are not being used is also one of my energy saving techniques. We have also bought solar lamps that we use to lighten our room at night so we get to save on the lighting. Using LED lighting and appliances also saves a lot on electricity. The price of buying them is higher but it's worth it for the amount you can save on your electricity bills.

5. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    saving electricity is also not a cheap thing to do if you are planning to buy a solar powered item, you will not be able to afford it but in the long run it will be good for you!

6. Kenya Swan

Kenya SwanMember

Threads:
    I never considered unplugging everything I am not using to save on my electric bill. It sounds like a pain to go around the house unplugging everything before leaving the house, but I guess it is worth it to have a lower electric bill. I like the idea of plugging several things into a surge protector instead of having to turn off individual switches. I think I may give this a try, and see if it makes a difference in my bill next month.

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    If you really want to save on your electricity bill, one of the most effective ways is to utilise LED technology. LED lighting and appliances have been proven to burn considerably less amount of energy when compared to previous power sources. In some instances, there may not be the need for unplugging some appliances because in some instances LED technology comes with power usage regulation capabilities

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Th
    Thanks for sharing, @tasha! These are very good pointers. Interestingly, i've heard the one about unplugging everything when not in use, but have never done it. I don't quite remember the rationale behind it, though. Living in a scorching country, I really have no need for a tumble dryer at all. When we put our washing up, it usually dries within 1-2 hours!

We definitely do the one about putting in just enough water for however many cuppas you're making. I also try to keep the lights I have on at a minimum. The rest of the rooms that aren't in use don't have the lights on at all, until we need to be in there. I don't think I've ever come across energy saving bulbs here, do you guys any in SA?

9. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Strangely, the most effective way seems to be by paying Direct debit. The savings are £70/year with EON and that would probably help more than any other small tip, as devices use so little already.

10. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    yes @Lushlala@Lushlala I drink a lot of coffee so I am not doing my part and I heard the energy saving lights can cause serious damage if hey break which with kids could happen so I usually try to use candles rather than electricity when I can. I live in an apartment so tumble drye is necessary because we don't have a balcony or place to hang washing

@Hedonologist@Hedonologist that sounds interesting and it would be a good idea if I had a steady income every month so it doesn't bounce when it is time to pay

it would take long to go and unplug everything and just by avoiding using all the equipment in your home too often is a start

#10Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
  11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is something that's always on my mind. I posted elsewhere that I was out in the shed a while back and discovered a switch turned on. I have no idea where it goes, and I actually suspect it may be powering something at a neighbor's house. Back when these places were built, many of the residents were related, so that wouldn't have been all that unusual. I turned the plug off and the bill has decreased.

I do use surge protectors, because where I live the power isn't always stable. This side of the street seems to go through a transformer every year or two, and so I try to protect my electronics with good quality surge protectors. It's much easier, as mentioned by @Corzhens@Corzhens, to simple flip that one switch than to unplug 4-8 or more separate plugs, then have to plug them back in when needed. I rarely turn on the overhead lights, unless it's a particularly dark day and I need to see well. I don't need to see well in most rooms, but I won't attempt anything in the kitchen without proper lighting, since it could be dangerous.

During the week, I use the front porch light as the only outside light, but on the weekends, when the kids are up later and wandering through the neighborhood, I also turn on the back and side lights, to discourage them, and also so the police can have a better view when they patrol.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It is amazing to see just how much money you can waste by not bothering to turn plugs off at the wall when you have finished using them. If you can just change this habit, the pennies will pile up and make a huge saving for you at the end of each month, so it is certainly worth getting into this habit if you can. Thinking about how much you spend on energy bills is a great idea, as it means that you can definitely enjoy the spare money that you are able to save.

13. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    My biggest 2 energy savings suggestions is to keep the heat low during the winter months and put on a sweater or cover up in a blanket. You are not going to be able to freeze yourself out of your home, but will save money keeping your house a little cooler. Also, encourage everyone in your home to turn off lights when they leave a room. We also turn out the lights when we are watching movies as well.

14. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    1. Buy motion sensing LEDs. LEDs already save money and motion sensing ones switch off the moment you leave the room. Something like this (non ref)

2. Use hot water bottles instead of turning up the heat or using any other way. Water is quick and easy to heat up, and you can stay cozy. That's how people used to do it earlier and its frankly energy efficient.

3. Generate energy in-house. There are a lot of domestic solar solutions available now (on the cheap), so there really is no excuse. If you live in your own home or have a nice balcony, generate some electricity in-house using the sun.

15. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    We unplug anything that isn't being used too. Doing this really saves a lot of money on our bill. Also, I read somewhere that you should cover your outlets during the winter time too. It keeps heat from escaping and I've heard the savings really do add up, and it doesn't have to cost you a lot of money either. If you have small children then you most likely have outlet covers in your household, but if you do not, don't worry you can find them just about anywhere.

16. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    My saving strategy would entail using the mains hydroelectricity for chores that require higher power outputs like dry cleaning. I would complement this with installation of a solar circuit which would be used for day to day appliances like kettles, ovens and electric irons.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @djdontpay@djdontpay I am curious what are some of the solar solutions that are available cheaply? I mean most solar panels, heaters, etc. are expensive. I do use solar lights outside, but in terms of other ways to generate solar polar I am clueless. It would be helpful if you could talk about some of these methods. I am sure people would be interested.

#17Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2016
  18. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    My son had a class in his freshman year in high school where he learned about "vampire electricity". That is where items that are plugged into an electrical outlet, but not in use still suck electricity. He unplugs everything that is not in use in our house.

Now, during the winter I try to keep the heater at a minimum at night since we can pile on the blankets to keep warm. I set my alarm for 30 minutes before we all have to get up for the day and raise the heat to make sure everyone wakes up to a warm house.

19. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Your ideas are great, I like to clear a point you made in one of the ways to save electricity that we should unplug things we are not using. My question to unplug and to switch off are they not saving energy in same measure. I hardly unplug what I do is to switch off. If I don't have foods that can easily go perish in the refrigerator I would switch it off for sometime so long I have ice for cold water. I have a set time in the week I wash all the family clothes. These are a few steps I make towards saving electric consumption.

20. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We had been successful at keeping our electricity consumption at below 100 kw per month for the past few months. There is an incentive for keeping it below that threshold - a subsidy which is about 20% to 25% of the total bill. If we hit the 100kw mark, out bill will skyrocket as we'll end up subsidizing those who are consuming less than 100kw hours.

How do we do it? I turn the fridge off for at least 20 hours each week. We don't iron clothes that often. The trick is to stretch the clothes while they're still wet and just before hanging them on the clothesline. I'm also aware of vampire electricity so we don't just switch off, we actually unplug. I'm also conscious of the wattage of most appliances in the house. My limit for the electric fan is only up to 60 watts. A good brand, though a little bit more expensive, can give powerful cooling at that level. Sharing the bedroom with my child has also helped keep the consumption low.