Save Money On Using Cloth Diapers

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by kaka135 • Jun 30, 2017.

1. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I started to let my kids use cloth diapers when my second child was born. Altogether I bought 12 pieces of cloth diapers, and it cost me less than $190 USD with discount. My third child is 1 year old now, and I am still using those cloth diapers. Though it took me time to wash and dry them, it really saved me lots of money as compared to when I was using disposable diapers with my first child.

I found that not many parents I know are using cloth diapers, mainly it's too troublesome and time consuming to wash them. Moreover, new mothers are always tired and busy, who has the time to do the extra work?

Do you use cloth diapers? Do you think it's saving money?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We were born and raised in cloth diapers since there was no disposable diaper yet during the time. And I'd say that cloth diapers are not only economical but also comfortable for the baby. The downside is the effort to clean it especially when the diaper is full of poop but with the cost of the disposable diapers, I can see that young mothers are using the cloth diaper at home and only resort to disposable diapers when they are out of the house.

3. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I remember when my younger sister was still a baby, my mom used another kind of cloth diaper, which is like a big piece of white cloth. We followed a way to fold the cloth, then we used a safety pin to fix it. I still use this type of cloth diaper once in a while, but it isn't as convenient and absorbent as the new type.

4. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a baby my mother used only cloth diapers because our doctor has prescribed not to use the diapers like Huggies and other brands. Why because is that the cloth diaper will allow the baby's skin to breathe and feel fresh which the other diapers fail to do so. Also, there will be a movement of air and keeps the baby's skin healthy.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    My husband always told me to buy cloth diapers as he used to use them as a baby. I always used disposible and so did my daughter. She really never had problems with them as far as rashes but that's because what caused her rashes were the scented ones so I bought her some tha were just a bit scented. I only used the cloth ones a couple of times only and she would always get too dirty as they weren't very absorbent.

6. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @harijobs@harijobs It's so nice that your doctor recommended using cloth diapers. I don't hear any doctors recommending that.

@kamai@kamai Yes, some cloth diapers are not absorbent enough. Moreover, I guess they are heavier as compared to disposable ones too.

7. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    @kaka135@kaka135 Yes. My doctors said so. Even now my aunt gave birth to a baby boy recently and we recommended her to the same doctor who saw me. She said even now it is always good to use a cloth diaper rather than the disposable ones. She is a very experienced doctor. :)

#7Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2017
  8. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Not only she is experienced, I think she really cares about babies and perhaps the environment too. There are doctors who always recommend the patients to take medicine, to buy formula milk or commercial products. I am happy to know there are still doctors who really care about patients or people. :)

9. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly saying I didn't heard about this washable diaper but recently I read about it online. And now I am reading you for the same. Can you give me more information about it? I mean is it work like just normal diaper and stay for that long? You are using it since long then they must be durable.

10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    You can save a lot with cloth diapers but it can really distract a child's sleep, and the parent's sleep as well, during the night, in addition to the extra workload of washing them. Some parents I know use disposable diapers at night and cloth diapers during the day when the child is awake. My son only used disposable diapers when he was a baby and he was quite comfortable with them and had no rashes whatsoever. We've tried different brands but stuck to one that is really absorbent and effective.

11. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Now I got few information on this. I guess those kind of diapers are okay at home. But we must have to use disposable diaper when we are going out for travelling, also we can't use them when we are going to someone's house. For that purpose disposable diapers are best. I thought those washable diapers has the ability to suck the liquid but now I know they don't.

12. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    When I had a baby, I used cloth diapers. There are many benefits of using cloth diapers (we call it nappy). Then initial cost is more, one pice of cloth diaper costs more than one piece of normal diaper. However, once you have it you can use it again and again. Using cloth diaper also saves environment because you will generate less trash (if you use a nornmal diaper, you will have to throw it away).

13. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    No. I don't think cloth diapers save you that much money. If you calculate the time and effort it takes you to clean them plus the washing detergent you using and the water. This all adds up to the overall cost and may even be more expensive than disposable diapers. It is obviously a matter of personal choice because some parents (like me) will always choose disposable diapers over cloth diapers. It's just more convenient.

What I do to save them is, I try alternating them if my child is home the whole day. But for an outing, it is definitely disposable all the way.

14. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I have used cloth diapers for my first child, and you are right using them helps us a lot on saving money. But at the moment my wife will give birth to our son and I don't think she will have the power and the patience to use these diapers again. I guess she will start using the disposable pampers from now on.

15. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Cloth diapers are popular with hipsters and hippies these days. They care about nature and they want to save a lot of money. The Polymer inside disposable diapers are bad for the environment.

16. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Not just saving money we need to reduce garbage as far as possible. Some of these disposable diapers are not biodegradable and therefore not healthy for the environment. We grew up using cloth diapers and many in our family use them even now.

17. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I want to ask the opinion of the ladies. Aside from the cloth diapers, there are now reusable sanitary napkins made of bamboo fiber. Using them will save you a lot of money and help the environment too because unlike disposable maxipads these reusable sanitary napkins are reusable and washable.